Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Posted: 2/28/2018 4:27:05 PM EDT
I heard someone bring up in a discussion that apparently the only variant that the US armed forces use is a special model of the Barrett known as the M82A1M (M being for Military?) and it has some differences from the civilian model kinda how the Beretta M9 is different for civilians vs. the military ones (proof marks and such).

Does anyone have any thoughts on whether this is true, and also what the difference between the two models is?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 4:38:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Qualified with one and owned one once. Looked and shot the same for me. be it that was some years ago though. Sold it after a year, as it just sit more than anything and didnt see the need for it.
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 5:41:54 PM EDT
[#2]
The mil version may have a cage code scan image on it. 

I too, had a store bought Beretta.  If I am going to carry a big bitch like that, it is going to throw bigger rounds down range. 

9mm firearms shouldn't be big bitches. 
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 7:39:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Only one i know is spiked bipod feet.
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 7:50:38 PM EDT
[#4]
There were differences at the start of the XM107. The 107 had a different sear set up. It would return to full engagement with the firing pin extension if a shot was decided not to be taken.
The 82a1 series had the traditional modified M2 machine gun sear.
The A1M was the old designation for military rifles. The Marine rifles were stamped 82A1M1A or 82A1MA1, can't remember now.

We played with an aluminum extrusion upper back around '02 or '03. No military was interested in it then. Now it's the 82A1LW
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 12:11:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There were differences at the start of the XM107. The 107 had a different sear set up. It would return to full engagement with the firing pin extension if a shot was decided not to be taken.
The 82a1 series had the traditional modified M2 machine gun sear.
The A1M was the old designation for military rifles. The Marine rifles were stamped 82A1M1A or 82A1MA1, can't remember now.

We played with an aluminum extrusion upper back around '02 or '03. No military was interested in it then. Now it's the 82A1LW
View Quote
Thank you very much 50cal. If a civilian like myself was hoping to get as close to what was issued to the military, is the M82A1 the wrong model choice? Are the parts that come on the other models you referenced 82A1M/MA1 something that is easy to add (e.g. change out the feet to have spikes + monopod), or are there actual differences in the permanent firearm components (e.g. barrel, receiver, markings, etc.)?

If one wanted to go clone correct as much as possible and started with a base model M82A1 and adding the different parts later, is it easy to get it into military configuration, or is it not the right model to start with?
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 4:27:55 AM EDT
[#6]
The only difference now is the spiked foot bipod. You can get those from Barrett.
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 8:52:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 9:42:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Just don't add a SLAP chambered barrel to it like the early desert storm 1 rifles.

Unless you want to paint it tan and try to sell it for $100K! And yes, there were guys trying to do that back about 20 years ago.
View Quote
When we were updating those rifles and the addition of SLAP chambers came about, it made us scratch our heads.
Come to find out, it was added by someone that had no authority to do so. He was drummed out of the Marine Corps.
When the Corps traded the older A1M's in for new rifles and we sold the older ones to dealers under the stipulation that they be dealer samples and not sold to the public, they sold anyway for crazy money.
The gunbroker prices were nuts.
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 10:53:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/2/2018 7:55:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Are the latest ones coming out chrome lined in the bore for the 29" ones? Do the military ones use a fully chrome-lined bore? Also, I read some posts from the past that said that they are no longer hand lapped. Does this mean the newer ones would generally likely have worse accuracy as a result of the machine lapping process?
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 12:55:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Also, does anyone know what the deal is with the naming conventions?

In my research the current M82A1s being sold seem to actually be (at least in part) M82A3s the way they are configured. Is this true? Why are they called M82A1s if they have modern features like the longer rail, etc?
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 3:41:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Are the latest ones coming out chrome lined in the bore for the 29" ones? Do the military ones use a fully chrome-lined bore? Also, I read some posts from the past that said that they are no longer hand lapped. Does this mean the newer ones would generally likely have worse accuracy as a result of the machine lapping process?
View Quote
I'd like to know this as well. Barrett's site says the barrel is chrome lined. @50cal ? What equipment to do intend to use for cleaning?
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 3:45:39 PM EDT
[#13]
I left there in early '05. The only part of the barrel that was chromed then was the chamber. The XM109 25MM conversation had a fully lined barrel.
No sure if current barrels are fully lined or not.

The barrels used to be hand lapped to the upper for a better fit. Now they're done on a machine. Which I believe is a mistake. If one barrel is a looser fit to the upper, it gets lapped too much.

I use a standard .50 cleaning kit on my 82A1 and M95
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top