Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/20/2018 9:43:56 AM EDT
Have a new Dead Air Mask and looking for cheap bulk pack ammo that will consistently stay subsonic out of a 22/45 and ideally out of my RAR as well.  Want something cheap for just plinking and teaching others to shoot.  I use CCI SV when I want better ammo.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 4:03:55 PM EDT
[#1]
All the cheap bulk pack stuff is high velocity. The only bulk pack standard velocity I have seen is some cci standard in a merry Christmas pack with green and red tips which wont be any less costly than cci standard anyway. Considering cci standard can now be found for about $30 a brick just stick with it. I have seen midway ( and I suspect others as well) carrying bulk pack eley but that is even more expensive. With rare exception in .22 cheap ammo = less than good results in function accuracy or both
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 4:18:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
All the cheap bulk pack stuff is high velocity. The only bulk pack standard velocity I have seen is some cci standard in a merry Christmas pack with green and red tips which wont be any less costly than cci standard anyway. Considering cci standard can now be found for about $30 a brick just stick with it. I have seen midway ( and I suspect others as well) carrying bulk pack eley but that is even more expensive. With rare exception in .22 cheap ammo = less than good results in function accuracy or both
View Quote
Thanks for the feedback!  Unfortunately that is what I was afraid of.  Ordered another case of CCI SV this morning.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 5:14:35 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm not sure if it's still available, but Winchester Dynapoint comes in a 550 loose pack, and is standard velocity ammo.

I used to find it at K-Mart in the white box. Now I can't even find a K-Mart, let alone one that still sells ammo.

The black box could be found at Dick's Sports.

I think I still have a few boxes of this stuff, but the last time I stocked up was probably 10 years ago, when I could get it for around $12/box.

I get 1050 to 1080 fps in a 16" barrel. If you want a little more margin to stay below the sonic barrier, you might need to buy the more expensive subsonic ammo.

Link Posted: 2/20/2018 8:49:09 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm about to swear off cheap 22 ammo all together. CCI master race...

Haven't really had any duds, with any brand, or failure to cycle out of 10/22 mags, but when I can just get CCI SV for $3.47 at walmart, it's not worth my effort.

Last bulk I bought was Browning, and it wasn't cheaper than CCI, shot at least 3x the group size, and couldn't make up its mind whether it was sub or super...

The federal 550 (36gr hp) was cheap, but again accuracy and velocity. I sent it back because the cases were having a fuck load of blow by and a couple split necks. I wasn't keen on having junk getting blown all over my face.

Thunderbolts weren't bad, cheap, reliable, consistently supersonic, just not accurate.

I'd figure even the HV loads would be subsonic (still a lot of extra muzzle blast/noise) out of s pistol barrel?
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 3:31:13 PM EDT
[#5]
I find that with my purpose built 5" 10/22 SBR...they are ALL subsonic.....which was kinda why I built it.....
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 3:36:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'm about to swear off cheap 22 ammo all together. CCI master race...

Haven't really had any duds, with any brand, or failure to cycle out of 10/22 mags, but when I can just get CCI SV for $3.47 at walmart, it's not worth my effort.

Last bulk I bought was Browning, and it wasn't cheaper than CCI, shot at least 3x the group size, and couldn't make up its mind whether it was sub or super...

The federal 550 (36gr hp) was cheap, but again accuracy and velocity. I sent it back because the cases were having a fuck load of blow by and a couple split necks. I wasn't keen on having junk getting blown all over my face.

Thunderbolts weren't bad, cheap, reliable, consistently supersonic, just not accurate.

I'd figure even the HV loads would be subsonic (still a lot of extra muzzle blast/noise) out of s pistol barrel?
View Quote
A 5,000 Round Case of Aguila Subsonics from Ammomen is what you seek. $265 shipped to your door.

Here
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 4:39:06 PM EDT
[#7]
The Aguila supers were OK. Around a 3/4" group.

Got them at rural king for like $4 though. Usually RK has the GECO for $3, which I will be neckbearding next time I get the chance.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 4:43:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The Aguila supers were OK. Around a 3/4" group.

Got them at rural king for like $4 though. Usually RK has the GECO for $3, which I will be neckbearding next time I get the chance.
View Quote
Geco is good shit. I would do the same!
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 11:04:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 1:51:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for all of the input.

Looks like my best bet for consistent subsonic ammo in bulk is still CCI SV.  Haven't had a chance to shoot for groups with it yet but it's looking like my RAR will probably be a little over 1 MOA with it if I can do my part.  RWS subsonic was almost double that from what I have seen with it so far.

Still need to get a selection of better ammo and see what it likes the best.  Anyone have any input on what ammo their RAR seems to do the best with?
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 8:49:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Well, you guessed it... CCI SV... 5/8" groups.

I assume green tag will do a bit better, it didn't when I shot 10 rounds the other day... then discovered my scope bases had worked loose... 5/8" groups

Norma Tac 22, BBM (meijer's), and GECO semi-auto are all the same bullet/brass (RWS brass), and shoot to the same POI/group size. 5/8 to 3/4

Aguila wasn't bad. 3/4

The various federal loads (510, suppressor, 810, etc) all seem to shoot around 1" at best (50 yards).

Mini mags usually do about 3/4 to 1"

CCI quiet are about 3".

Note: I shoot from the bed of my truck, sitting, rifle rested on a soft case on the bed rail. This isn't a proper bench, I'm not that great of a shooter... yada yada. They could all do better with a proper bench. Also, I'm a lefty shooting righty.

I have a vortex diamondback 2-7 on the rifle, on 7x for accuracy testing.

Typically with cci sv I can hit 12 and 20ga shells at 50 yards 10/10 times from this position.

ETA: FGMM easily does 1/2" when I do my part. I think off a proper rest I could shave 1/8" off all the group sizes, maybe 3/16" if I do it lefty and benched. This rifle is certainly limited by the ammo and shooter.
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 11:41:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm not sure if it's still available, but Winchester Dynapoint comes in a 550 loose pack, and is standard velocity ammo.

I used to find it at K-Mart in the white box. Now I can't even find a K-Mart, let alone one that still sells ammo.

The black box could be found at Dick's Sports.

I think I still have a few boxes of this stuff, but the last time I stocked up was probably 10 years ago, when I could get it for around $12/box.

I get 1050 to 1080 fps in a 16" barrel. If you want a little more margin to stay below the sonic barrier, you might need to buy the more expensive subsonic ammo.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-pRAY-gBt2fc/T-hnu3wTy2I/AAAAAAAAAjA/9VdqoUKWYYo/w1200-h630-p-k-no-nu/IMG_3561.JPG
View Quote
I loved that Dynapoint. Used to buy it at Kmart myself up until a few years ago. Haven't seen it anywhere since, and all the other winchester ammo I've bought ain't been worth a shit.
Link Posted: 3/19/2018 9:35:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I loved that Dynapoint. Used to buy it at Kmart myself up until a few years ago. Haven't seen it anywhere since, and all the other winchester ammo I've bought ain't been worth a shit.
View Quote
I have a good supply of dynapoints, still supersonic for me except in pistols
Link Posted: 3/19/2018 9:41:42 PM EDT
[#14]
I tried a ton of different types, in a 16" you cannot beat CCI SV.  All of the bulk pack stuff is going to be too fast, except out of a pistol.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top