Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/19/2018 11:36:43 PM EDT
I was thinking about the UMP and if anyone has done builds with them.

Just saw the Atlantic uppers, and parts kits on some of the usual suspects for Hk parts.

Has anyone seen a 10mm kit?  I see a bunch of .40 S&W kits.
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 1:23:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Many people have done builds on Omega receivers.

There are no 10mm kits. The kits out there are demilled SMG kits in the three calibers the UMP is made in.
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 1:31:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm looking for inspirational pics, feedback on how people like them, how hard is it to get mags, parts, etc.
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 1:37:34 PM EDT
[#3]
There are German 45 and 40 kits out there, the 9mm kits are scarce here.  You can translate that to expensive.  I've never seen a german 9mm kit for sale, but I haven't really tried to find one.  It's a lot of money for a mediocre gun.
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 3:37:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There are German 45 and 40 kits out there, the 9mm kits are scarce here.  You can translate that to expensive.  I've never seen a german 9mm kit for sale, but I haven't really tried to find one.  It's a lot of money for a mediocre gun.
View Quote
So just looks cool but expensive and mediocre performance?
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 4:19:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/21/2018 6:29:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's my experience.  Try before you buy.
Link Posted: 10/21/2018 10:13:24 AM EDT
[#7]
I love mine, shoots greats never has a hiccup... great gun...
Link Posted: 10/21/2018 12:17:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Larry Vickers seems to like it just fine
Link Posted: 10/21/2018 12:23:32 PM EDT
[#9]
I converted my USC to UMP few years back. It is one of my favorites for sure.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 11:40:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Larry Vickers seems to like it just fine
View Quote
Yeah, right behind the 80 year old M3 grease gun.  He's got a good video series with him and Ken Hackathorn shooting the M3 and the UMP back to back.  The UMP took second place.

I would hope in the years since the grease gun was developed, that some advances had been made...but aside from materials and the ability to swap calibers, those 80 years didn't really bring anything new, and according to Larry and Ken, it was a step backwards. The main issue is recoil, and what that does to follow up shots.  It has other issues, though.

Its a cool gun because its unique.  It used to be rare, but less so now. It's one of those guns that you buy just because you like it.  You don't have to validate it.

Here is mine:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 2:26:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
take his opinion with a large grain of salt.  Its one of the best compacts ive fired.  i have it in 9mm and 45, have the 40 bolt just need the barrel.  It tames the 9mm to almost nothing and the 45 to a small push backward and no recoil up.  Honestly im probably gonna grab a 40 barrel and get an omega upper and keep that as a trunk gun.

Oh and its never given me one problem and ive cleaned it about 5 times in 7 years.  It just runs.
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 2:48:40 PM EDT
[#12]
UMPs are pretty easy to build with the Omega receivers. The hardest parts, namely milling the mag well and vent holes, are already done for you on an Omega receiver compared to converting a USC. Everything else is about as difficult as assembling an AR.
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 2:57:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
UMPs are pretty easy to build with the Omega receivers. The hardest parts, namely milling the mag well and vent holes, are already done for you on an Omega receiver compared to converting a USC. Everything else is about as difficult as assembling an AR.
View Quote
That’s assuming you have USC spec parts, otherwise you need to modify the bolt and trigger housing.
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 3:12:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Parts kits have dried up for the most part.  Buying a complete pistol from Atlantic is currently the most cost effective route.  Beware of the 45 ACP 3 lug barrel Atlantic offers.  There isn't a suppressor mount that'll work with it.

Personally I've been looking at the B&T offerings lately.  Almost all of them come with 3-lug barrels and SiCo makes a B&T 45 ACP spec 3-lug adapter for their pistol suppressors.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 4:43:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Parts kits have dried up for the most part.  Buying a complete pistol from Atlantic is currently the most cost effective route.  Beware of the 45 ACP 3 lug barrel Atlantic offers.  There isn't a suppressor mount that'll work with it.

Personally I've been looking at the B&T offerings lately.  Almost all of them come with 3-lug barrels and SiCo makes a B&T 45 ACP spec 3-lug adapter for their pistol suppressors.
View Quote

I went with a B&T GHM45 for that reason.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 5:47:42 PM EDT
[#16]
These guys are certainly entitled to their opinion.  As the owner of an HK sear with multiple 9mm, .40 S&W, .45 and 10mm auto hosts and have shot Post Sample UMPs in .40 S&W and .45.  The MP5 is so much smoother with lower felt recoil, caliber to caliber.  The UMP was a much cheaper to produce for HK and they stopped MP5 production in favor of the higher profit blow back UMP.  YMMV.

Scott
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 8:26:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
These guys are certainly entitled to their opinion.  As the owner of an HK sear with multiple 9mm, .40 S&W, .45 and 10mm auto hosts and have shot Post Sample UMPs in .40 S&W and .45.  The MP5 is so much smoother with lower felt recoil, caliber to caliber.  The UMP was a much cheaper to produce for HK and they stopped MP5 production in favor of the higher profit blow back UMP.  YMMV.

Scott
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Scott
I don't know of anyone that would make the argument that the UMP handles better than the MP5.

At one point in the video, the white light activates, whether from inertia moving the push buttons or AD, I'm not sure.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top