Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/9/2018 10:11:16 PM EDT
I'm considering picking up a K&M M17S in 308 now, and potentially do a head to head with the T7 when it comes out.  But information on the net seems extremely sparse, so if anyone owns or has shot the M17s in 308 I'd love to know:

1.) Can it cycle NATO surplus and steel cased, as well as rounds like the M118LR?

2.) How gassy is it with a can on?  My RDB was much worse than I had expected compared to my 11.5in AR with an SLR gas block, and 16in AR10 with the same, so any reference points there would be great.

3.) Can you shoot it lefty when needed (like corners and doors you are on the wrong side of)?

4.) General thoughts and reliability?

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 11:50:38 AM EDT
[#1]
I had one for a while. They are high quality and in my opinion rationally built meaning accessing components and such is easy. The controls are pretty natural. The trigger is insanely good. Not even just for bullpups but in general. That's probably the best thing about it, I'm not sure how they pulled it off. When you take down the rifle it's an easy take down and there really aren't many complicated parts. The 3 lug bolt design means it should be super reliable and robust. Weight is pretty balanced and not overly heavy. I shot suppressed and unsuppressed. Neither was in any way bad though I dont recall thinking wow about either. Just felt like a standard 308 semi auto. I dont recall it being overly gassy. Due to the ports it probably mitigates gas suppressed as much as possible. It isn't being completely focused to one small area.

I simply sold mine because I didnt go shooting much so I whittled everything down to the basics and to me for the cost the 308 bullpups just dont provide significant benefits over a highly modular and affordable ar308. However I had no issues with this rifle. To me it makes a lot more sense than the iwi or DT. Lighter, all aluminum, better trigger, has some universal parts, very easy to take down and repair. Just not as much marketing. I would definitely get the cheek rest though. The aluminum is cold as shit in the winter.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 1:51:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the feedback Tom!  Sounds like exactly what I'm looking for right now, kinda wish I could have bought yours haha.  Do you recall what suppressor you were using on it?
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 4:41:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Griffin optimus
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 8:16:29 AM EDT
[#4]
That sounds very promising then!

Any other K&M M17s owners on ARFCOM have opinions?
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 9:54:05 AM EDT
[#5]
S/N 081, IIRC in 556 here.

I'm crazy about my k&m. I agree that wintertime shooting requires a cheekrest bu haven't looked for one.

All the 762 models had adjustable gas blocks and after their release the new/second? run of 556s got them as well.

I've run sakers in 556 & 762 on it and it's less gassy(m855 & handloads)than either my Tavor or my AUG. we shoot early at the gun club and I'm fine w/o ear pro.

I don't know Ken personally but I admire him for standing up and going against the big players with his projects. And he's been very responsive to my questions.

And, as always, if you're in NW Houston and can meet up with me/my schedule you're welcome to try out my rifle.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 1:49:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
S/N 081, IIRC in 556 here.

I'm crazy about my k&m. I agree that wintertime shooting requires a cheekrest bu haven't looked for one.

All the 762 models had adjustable gas blocks and after their release the new/second? run of 556s got them as well.

I've run sakers in 556 & 762 on it and it's less gassy(m855 & handloads)than either my Tavor or my AUG. we shoot early at the gun club and I'm fine w/o ear pro.

I don't know Ken personally but I admire him for standing up and going against the big players with his projects. And he's been very responsive to my questions.

And, as always, if you're in NW Houston and can meet up with me/my schedule you're welcome to try out my rifle.
View Quote
Agreed bout ken he usually answers my emails directly and quickly.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 2:16:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Glad to hear it isn't as gassy as the two other major Bullpups, especially with a high back pressure can like the Saker.  Can you compare it with an AR?

I may contact Ken with some questions, I too have heard he is a really stand up guy.

Thanks for  the kind offer but I'd have to take at least one plane to get to you!
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 10:02:25 AM EDT
[#8]
It's been so long since I even shot an AR I don't remember but I'm trying out some vortex red dots on a couple flattop ARs next week I'll bring the cans and take notes, maybe a vid.

I'm scheduled to sell one of my SA Socoms tomorrow and now I'm thinking maybe lol offer the other one as well and look at an M17S in 762. I had big plans to suppress it but it would be an ordeal.

Before I listed my Socom I took it to the range and had fits putting the mag in. My buddy(ex Navy, also couldn't do it but it wasn't his rifle)said "and that's why I bought an ar10". I got it but had to look at it a few times. I used to take my govt model to Mickey's every week! Muscle memory failure!
Link Posted: 1/1/2019 8:27:40 PM EDT
[#9]
How'd it go XD?  Still looking at the M17s in .308 as well?
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 10:47:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Sorry for being asleep at the 'board, Potss!

Yes, I am. I looked at Ken's site(looking for anyone saying the 16" is too blasty, but never found that!)and I noticed it's currently a four month wait.

In order to move forward on this I will need to sell some items of the bullpup variety I'm afraid. It's all I have!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top