Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/1/2022 2:32:04 PM EDT
Picked up at a yard sale a few hours ago for 5.00. Apparently it's a non-cutdown Oneida ......but condition is a little rough

My question is, I can't seem to find any 1944 Dated Oneida bayonets.....all seem to be 42 or 43, and marked slightly differently

Any Idea what I've got ? It's complete, just disassembled .....was considering giving it a dunk in the electrolysis tank and possibly a repark

Link Posted: 10/1/2022 3:58:34 PM EDT
[#1]
They stopped making the 16 inch and started clipping them in 43. I believe 44 was the last year they had to stamp the year. If one isn't stamped with the year I don't know how to date it.

Wild guess time. I think the real faint stamp on the one side is Springfields crest which would mean it was reworked in some way by Springfield. Maybe that happened when Springfield imported them back from somewhere, maybe they sharpened it or something. Maybe I'm 100% wrong about it it and a dummy.

Awesome find though.

personally I wouldn't recoat it. Knock the rust off with some gun oil and fine steel wool, or let it set in some evaporust for a couple of hours to get the red rust off. They really don't rust very badly left bare in my experience.
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 5:11:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/2/2022 1:45:35 PM EDT
[#3]
1943 was the last year any M1 bayonet was date marked.

Rare bayonet too with it being an OL M1 and not a M1905 cut-down OL.

Bead blast and repark with some new grips and you'd be all set.
Link Posted: 10/2/2022 2:20:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Meh, wipe it with oil and a rag.  Burnish the rust away.  I wouldn’t use evaporust, that removes bluing and probably park too.

Enjoy it as is.
Link Posted: 10/2/2022 3:04:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah .....I don't use evaporust on anything firearms related ....

I'm probably going to go the electrolysis route, a light media blast, and park. The grips are actually in very nice shape

Will throw up a pic or 2 when it's done
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top