Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/4/2018 6:15:20 PM EDT
AUGs are a very small part of the American gun market. NV is even much much smaller.

Trying to find out how various night vision devices, Steiner DBALs, BE Meyers MAWL, PEQs work on AUGs (specifically newer guns) is hard. How the mount up, etc.

Anyone got any setups?

I have grip rail sections I can use and replace the folding grips on the barrels. The A3 and M1 models are limited by rail space. It seems the best NV units for my needs are the Steiner DBAL-A2, A4 and I've been jonesing for the very expensive BE Meyers MAWL. I'm just not sure how well, if at all some of these types of units will mount to an AUG.

Steiner has their DBAL-RL with is smaller and similar to what the Austrians use with their Rhinemetal Vario-Ray units which combine and visible laser, IR laser, illuminator and white light all in one. But I find very, very little info on the DBAL-RL.

Thoughts? I really want the MAWL. But consider how it mounts. I'm not sure if would even work.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 8:15:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Certainly not the caliber your looking at, but it works for me.

Link Posted: 5/4/2018 11:05:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I’ve got an ATPIAL on my Sabre A3. Mounted at 12 o’clock, then ran the tape switch onto the folding grip secured inside an elastic sleeve. Works well enough.
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 12:37:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I’ve got an ATPIAL on my Sabre A3. Mounted at 12 o’clock, then ran the tape switch onto the folding grip secured inside an elastic sleeve. Works well enough.
View Quote
Definitely an option I've been thinking of.

@bishopm14 . Can you tell me if the ATPIAL/PEQ15 will not to the rail section on the receiver. Don't have one and don't know if there is enough clearance.

Thank you.
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 10:33:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Definitely an option I've been thinking of.

@bishopm14 . Can you tell me if the ATPIAL/PEQ15 will not to the rail section on the receiver. Don't have one and don't know if there is enough clearance.

Thank you.
View Quote
As far as the short rail on the right side of the receiver, the ATPIAL is too wide and low to attach to it. Unless you go with an aftermarket rail setup 12 o’ clock is probably the only way to go.
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 4:22:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

As far as the short rail on the right side of the receiver, the ATPIAL is too wide and low to attach to it. Unless you go with an aftermarket rail setup 12 o’ clock is probably the only way to go.
View Quote
thats what I figured. thank you.
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 12:34:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
@bishopm14

Thanks again. If you have the inclination and time. Could you snap a pic of the ATPIAL on your AUG? I'm guessing it also doesn't hamper running the charging handle?

I was looking at the DBAL-D2. The illuminator is huge. And I can't see it not interfering with running the charging handle.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 5:16:58 AM EDT
[#7]
I ran an atpial-c on my msar hog hunting a couple of times before I sold the msar. I was running an Aimpoint on the back of the rail and placed the atpial at the very front. You could see the top of the peq through the Aimpoint. But worked well enough. I'm not sure how to set something up for an a3 running a fixed optic.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 8:40:44 PM EDT
[#8]
I have IR lasers on both of my AUGs. On my 9mm, which is an A3, I have an Steiner OTAL mounted on the top rail and a Surefire scout with vampire head on the side rail for illumination. On my M1 I have a Steiner CQBL mounted on the side rail and will sometimes mount ir illuminators on the side rails on the scope. I prefer the setup on my A3 to the setup on my M1.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 10:02:28 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a mix of what others are using. El cheapo unimax IR (it works) and surefire vampire white/IR light.
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 11:31:16 PM EDT
[#10]
A little late, but here's a picture I just took of how I have it setup. It's not the best, but it does work.

Link Posted: 5/20/2018 2:31:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
A little late, but here's a picture I just took of how I have it setup. It's not the best, but it does work.

https://i.imgur.com/uWgGgey.jpg
View Quote
If it works it works. Very cool. Thanks @maleante . :)

What scope do you have on your gun? Curious, you have any distortion using the white light with the scope? I tried running a white light with anywhere from 300-800 lumens. And I always got distortion in the factory 3x scope. When the light was mounted anywhere from the side of the scope to the side of the receiver. I moved it to a rail section in the grip area.

I switching the scope to one of the extended rails like on your gun. Hoping not to have any distortion with my red dot (and 3x magnifier eventually).
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 6:49:34 PM EDT
[#12]
It's a meopta kdot, easily the best glass in the LPVO $1000 range. Excellent optic that I've had for a while floating between different AUG's. I think it's going to stay put on this one though.

I do have a little distortion with the white light, but this surefire is nearly permanently set on IR so it's not a problem in my opinion.

I have the "new" streamlight HLX 1000 lumen monster mounted on another AUG with the vortex UH1 and have no distortion. Pretty sweet light for the price, my only problem is the mount loosening under recoil.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 10:03:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
It's a meopta kdot, easily the best glass in the LPVO $1000 range. Excellent optic that I've had for a while floating between different AUG's. I think it's going to stay put on this one though.

I do have a little distortion with the white light, but this surefire is nearly permanently set on IR so it's not a problem in my opinion.

I have the "new" streamlight HLX 1000 lumen monster mounted on another AUG with the vortex UH1 and have no distortion. Pretty sweet light for the price, my only problem is the mount loosening under recoil.
View Quote
Ah, thanks. I was just wondering if I had something weird going on with me or my AUGs. No distortion with a red dot on top of the AUG scope. Must be something to do with the magnification.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top