Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/16/2022 9:23:17 PM EDT
Simple question... If I was to buy a Colt new line 22 revolver in fine condition, and wanted to fire a cylinder or 2 through it of modern 22 cartridges... What ones would be safest... 22 CB, 22 long, 22 short (not high velocity)... or none of them, and leave it to be looked as a wall (non fireable) hanger?
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 9:47:53 PM EDT
[#1]
If it's rated/marked for 22LR, and in good mechanical condition, it should fire modern "standard velocity" loads with no problems.
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 10:43:33 PM EDT
[#2]
The problem with these antique revolvers is that 22lr didn’t exist at the time… so if you are limited to modern 22 long and 22 short rounds, do you think that they would be safe in an old revolver like this?

Maybe just use a 22 short or long cb cap?
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 11:08:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The problem with these antique revolvers is that 22lr didn’t exist at the time… so if you are limited to modern 22 long and 22 short rounds, do you think that they would be safe in an old revolver like this?

Maybe just use a 22 short or long cb cap?
View Quote

22LR was introduced in 1871, so your new line does not predate it. However, if it's marked as chambered for 22 long or 22 short, use no more than a standard velocity modern 22 long or 22 short equivalent in it. Those are hard to find, so you can always be cautious and just use 22CB.
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 6:39:56 AM EDT
[#4]
.22 Super Colibri would be my selection for plinking/target.
Short range but low pressure/stress on an antique.
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 10:43:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

22LR was introduced in 1871, so your new line does not predate it. However, if it's marked as chambered for 22 long or 22 short, use no more than a standard velocity modern 22 long or 22 short equivalent in it. Those are hard to find, so you can always be cautious and just use 22CB.
View Quote

According to Wiki, the 22 Long cartridge was introduced in 1871, and the 22 Long Rifle was introduced in 1884 by the UMC. I think that these antique revolvers were meant for the 22 Long cartridge, as the rifling twist is 20/1 rather than the 16/1 twist that is standard for the 22 Long Rifle.

I will use either a 22 short or a 22 Long CB caps (29 Grn bullet) so I don't overstress the pistol and keep the grain weight within the rifling twist rate...
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 11:11:56 AM EDT
[#6]
CB caps will work just fine, I have seen me do it.

The photos of the Monitor on this website are of my pistol.

Suicide Special
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top