Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/5/2021 9:51:33 AM EDT
Searched and couldn’t find an answer. I’m gearing up to load 45acp, but have no large pistol primers. I do have 1k or so Remington No 9 1/2 large rifle. How do they do in a striker fired pistol? (Polymer80 with Glock innards)

My other plan is to ask my friends who have been loading 45 for a while if they have a stash of small primer brass they are willing to part with.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 10:11:09 AM EDT
[#1]
I have used large rifle primers in .45 acp, but they seated slightly high. Only used them for primer fired wax bullets. There is data on the GunsAmerica website that indicates LR primers are about 0.128” in height, and LP primers are 0.120” in height.

Primers should be seated slightly below flush to eliminate the possibility of slam fires, or incorrect headspace and lockup.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 10:20:54 AM EDT
[#2]
FPNI, large rifle primers will seat high in a pistol pocket.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 11:24:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
My other plan is to ask my friends who have been loading 45 for a while if they have a stash of small primer brass they are willing to part with.
View Quote

DING!  

And THAT, my friends, is why you don't toss out the small primer brass you find.  I have been cleaning it and storing it separately from the normal LP brass but I keep it for just such an eventuality.

You just never know.

Why not make a small batch (~100 cases) and cut a deeper primer pocket using a LR primer pocket uniforming tool?  High primers is not a good thing.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 11:58:53 AM EDT
[#5]
This is not exactly relevant, but I recently scored a brick of S&B small primers which were simply marked by the diameter (4,4mm) and labeled for use in "rifle, pistol, and revolver" right on the box.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 12:33:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Small rifle and small pistol primers are to a large extent interchangeable.  Not so with Large primers.

Large rifle primers used in pistol ammo as noted will not seat flush with the case head.  Slam fires will happen and pressures are markedly increased.  Further, large rifle primers used in revolver cases will probably bind the revolver and prevent function due to the not being seated flush with or below the cartridge head.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 3:39:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 4:12:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

OP is asking about large pistol and large rifle, not small.  Unlike small pistol/small rifle, large pistol and large rifle are NOT size-interchangeable.
View Quote

Maybe try reading the whole thread.   45acp & LRP's are mentioned.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 4:50:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Looks like the large rifle route is not worth pursuing. Guess I’ll look for small primer brass. I’ve got a couple thousand cases I can go through and see what I’ve got.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 2:11:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 3:06:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Because then you end up with a set of bastard cases that are not easy to differentiate against normal cases.  Even if you mark them, it will still be easy to get them mixed in with your other brass.
You may not necessarily notice later on when you seat a LP primer in your modified case an it seats slightly too low.  And then you will wonder why you are getting a bunch of rounds later that fail to fire.  

With an autoloader that throws brass all over the ground, you would have to be extra careful. Maybe it could work ok if you limited your modified brass to a revolver.  

Personally, I'd try something else.
View Quote

I agree.  Painful as it is at the moment, I would not reload until I could get proper components.  It's just too dangerous to mess around with this kind of thing.

Link Posted: 5/7/2021 6:10:40 PM EDT
[#12]
I went through my 45 brass, I didn’t have as much as I thought. I found around 80 small primer ones. Talked to a friend today who thinks he has a couple hundred SP 45s he will trade for 9mm, so I’m off to a good start.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 11:06:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Because then you end up with a set of bastard cases that are not easy to differentiate against normal cases.  Even if you mark them, it will still be easy to get them mixed in with your other brass.
You may not necessarily notice later on when you seat a LP primer in your modified case an it seats slightly too low.  And then you will wonder why you are getting a bunch of rounds later that fail to fire.  

With an autoloader that throws brass all over the ground, you would have to be extra careful. Maybe it could work ok if you limited your modified brass to a revolver.  

Personally, I'd try something else.
View Quote

NAH!  Use your head - keep them separated.  If you don't have them, you won't be shooting regular primers any time soon.  If you do have them, there is no need to do this and no need for this thread.

When they are no longer needed, either throw them away or store them away for the next primer shortage.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 12:16:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
FPNI, large rifle primers will seat high in a pistol pocket.
View Quote

This.  I would not do it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top