Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/4/2020 1:20:38 AM EDT
I’ve read just about every thread here.

What’s the current recommendation on a vault door?  It will be hidden, so I don’t need a nice finish.  

I want a great door, combo lock (no electronics), or combo lock with a key lock.   Standard width (32-36 inches).  In swing (required).  

I absolutely want made in the USA.

Budget is 5k, but I can go higher.  My wife picked out the front door and it’s 10k, so I can go higher than 5k, if it adds function.  

Construction will be blocked, rebar filled with concrete.  I’m not going poured concrete for this.  

All I have is an internet search, and found a couple of leads, but no reviews at all.  Closest city is Dallas, at 2 hours away.

Currently I have a TL30 safe, so I have a slightly more than basic knowledge on the topic.  Perhaps, just enough to be dangerous or a nuisance to the real pros.
Link Posted: 7/4/2020 9:09:01 AM EDT
[#1]
You should look into a commercial hollow metal door, 14 ga, top hat reinforced, with welded seams, in a welded 14 ga frame. It's commercial, and Republic, Steelcraft etc dealers can supply. When installed use the anchors, and grout to fill the jambs completely, support the top with blocking to keep it from settling with concrete in the header.

Simplex lock to operate a mortise works, not cylindrical with upper and lower deadbolts if desired. Three interlocking security hinges minimum 4 1/2" with bearings and a pinned hinge pin to prevent extraction - even if its inswing.

We had a youth detention center go thru an 18 ga, then a 16ga, a 14 year old client who weighed 240 pounds literally pounded the first out of the wall, the second he ripped the skin off the corner and folded it up. The 14 ga, installed correctly, could not be defeated after 24 hours of experienced effort, and held him for the duration of his care. There were no further efforts to defeat it after that.

Of course a torch, hydraulic cutter or powered carbide saw would still cut their way thru. The idea is to buy time, and the most resistant to human powered attack with few tools get the better ratings. An experienced commercial door supplier who bids government jobs should have no problem getting one. No effing way a lumberyard or box store will do it unless they buy it from him first then double the price. Residential cannot buy commercial direct, save money and just find him yourself. Hardware too - in the day we sold commercial hinges for $5 a pop, they were $20 at the lumberyard.
Link Posted: 7/8/2020 8:38:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Looking at an inswing AMSEC door.

I need an in swing.
Link Posted: 7/8/2020 11:19:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I ordered a Sturdy safe vault door. It meets all the requirements you asked for. Check out their website and you can “build” your door. I got the same basic door you asked for. Mine should be here in the next week or two.
Link Posted: 7/9/2020 8:00:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I ordered a Sturdy safe vault door. It meets all the requirements you asked for. Check out their website and you can “build” your door. I got the same basic door you asked for. Mine should be here in the next week or two.
View Quote

I saw their website and liked what I saw.  

Leaning towards the AMSEC since the dealer I trust services them.
Link Posted: 8/2/2020 7:07:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Looking at the specs, and pricing.  My builder said he has no issue with installing a vault door.  Yea, I trust him.

I went with Sturdy as well.  Delivery came out to almost $4000.  I need to get some concrete bolts, any recommendations?

@sedahenning
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 11:55:39 PM EDT
[#6]
I got my door last week and got it installed. I used 5/8 x 3 3/4 Hilti concrete bolts from HomeDepot. They worked great. I still need to fill the gaps on each side of the frame with concrete but I’m at the tail end of building my house so the list of things to do is long. The door is HEAVY. Mine came out to 780lbs shipped. I went with a flange on the front. I figured it would be a little more secure and easier to install. I’m very happy with the door.
Link Posted: 8/6/2020 4:07:23 PM EDT
[#7]
I went with an AMSEC and couldn't be happier. I went with the dual manual and rotary combo lock and its already saved my bacon when I let the batteries run out.
They said they were going to do a true redundant separate lock system on the vault doors like their safes but I don't know if that came to fruition.
Not a thing I would change except I wanted the true redundancy.
Link Posted: 8/6/2020 6:32:22 PM EDT
[#8]
I went with dial lock and key.  The key is a separate lock, and high security.  

So I can leave the combo lock unlocked and use the key to to get in.   That is if I’m going in and out over a weekend.  

I have that set up on my Tann TL30 and love it.
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 2:26:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Any pictures, wanting to do the same.
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 3:52:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Any pictures, wanting to do the same.
View Quote

I will once i get it and install it.
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 9:42:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Any chance you'll be parting with the TL30?
Link Posted: 8/20/2020 6:22:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Any chance you'll be parting with the TL30?
View Quote

Maybe, but house finish is around February / March 2021.  Lot of time.
Link Posted: 8/20/2020 2:55:23 PM EDT
[#13]
I bookmarked this link from a prior thread - any one have an opinion?

@OP - how did you find the guy to install it?
Link Posted: 8/20/2020 3:11:49 PM EDT
[#14]
I asked my builder.  We sat down with instructions and he said he can do it.  

Yes.  I could get burned but he’s been solid so far.
Link Posted: 8/20/2020 5:05:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I asked my builder.  We sat down with instructions and he said he can do it.  

Yes.  I could get burned but he’s been solid so far.
View Quote

Good luck!
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 9:48:25 PM EDT
[#16]
If you run into trouble due to the weight of the door and assembly, you can contact a local safe moving company that uses the electronic safe dollies.
Those dollies have lots of movement and can put that assembly right in the hole for you and safely.

We used a tractor with front forks to get my buddies up to the house and close to the point of install. About 5 of us were able to somewhat manhandle the unit into place as the rough opening was prepared.

Good luck. Shouldn't be too bad. Just be safe about it. (no pun intended)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top