Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/27/2019 4:55:56 PM EDT
Williams Shooters Supply announced Nov 1 that they are winding down the business and closing their doors for good. They cite the internet and online retailers not charging sales tax.
Link Posted: 11/27/2019 6:54:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Williams Shooters Supply announced Nov 1 that they are winding down the business and closing their doors for good. They cite the internet and online retailers not charging sales tax.
View Quote
Irony is they are getting out just as online retailers are collecting sales tax.
Link Posted: 11/27/2019 7:14:47 PM EDT
[#2]
It looks like Copes Distributing closed also.
Link Posted: 11/27/2019 10:38:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Just like the car and liquor bidness.  Manufacturer, distributor, dealer, buyer.  Two of these things are obsolete.  
Link Posted: 11/27/2019 10:43:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just like the car and liquor bidness.  Manufacturer, distributor, dealer, buyer.  Two of these things are obsolete.  
View Quote
You Sir are quite correct.
Link Posted: 11/28/2019 4:59:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote
Stop and think at least with firearms. You will never be able to get away from dealers as they are the ones who have to transfer the weapons. For many manufacturers buying direct is either not an option or will increase costs having to ship many smaller orders. Oh and if you think that the online guys aren't gonna raise their prices if the middle men are cut out you are delusional.
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 2:07:09 PM EDT
[#6]
How does online stores not collecting sales tax effect their business? The only people who benefit from sales tax is the state. All B2B transactions are tax free as well anyway and only B2C sales are taxed. So are they saying that they were doing enough B2B business to circumvent any B2C business to where customers where purchasing items online tax free instead of purchasing it from them in person where tax is collected?
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 2:10:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
How does online stores not collecting sales tax effect their business? The only people who benefit from sales tax is the state. All B2B transactions are tax free as well anyway and only B2C sales are taxed. So are they saying that they were doing enough B2B business to circumvent any B2C business to where customers where purchasing items online tax free instead of purchasing it from them in person where tax is collected?
View Quote
Hmmm, now lets think about this. I am a ffl, I can't compete with online prices especially when I have to collect sales tax and they don't. Therefore I sell less which means I buy less from that distributor. Less sales means go out of business.
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 2:21:13 PM EDT
[#8]
That's what i was asking. Basically, if you are an FFL, you struggle with competition against online stores due to sales tax. But, if you are a distributor, how does sales tax effect you when the same online stores use you as a distributor? Mom and pop FFls would be more affected than the distributor by sales tax. So, I was questioning the sales tax by how does it effect them directly instead of dealers. If their B2B sales were primarily conducted through small FFLs, then I understand that their B2B volume would be low leading to decreased sales. If they were distributors to higher volume FFLs with an eCommerce platform, then they wouldn't be affected.
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 3:18:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
That's what i was asking. Basically, if you are an FFL, you struggle with competition against online stores due to sales tax. But, if you are a distributor, how does sales tax effect you when the same online stores use you as a distributor? Mom and pop FFls would be more affected than the distributor by sales tax. So, I was questioning the sales tax by how does it effect them directly instead of dealers. If their B2B sales were primarily conducted through small FFLs, then I understand that their B2B volume would be low leading to decreased sales. If they were distributors to higher volume FFLs with an eCommerce platform, then they wouldn't be affected.
View Quote
The big "if" is that who does mass merchandising of guns online. Not a whole lot. Williams was never a huge distributor to begin with and when you have ffl's like me stop buying because we can't compete you go under.
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 3:21:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
Damn so they have
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 7:19:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Problem is the online major websites are selling cheaper then I can buy from a wholesaler as an FFL. Only way to make money is transfers. With no profits, more overhead, increased liabilities and less resources watch more FFL's give up the business. Wonder why your transfer fee's go through the roof??
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 12:44:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Problem is the online major websites are selling cheaper then I can buy from a wholesaler as an FFL. Only way to make money is transfers. With no profits, more overhead, increased liabilities and less resources watch more FFL's give up the business. Wonder why your transfer fee's go through the roof??
View Quote
Well , yeah but they will save $50 from a greedy dealer trying to make a living selling guns.
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 1:09:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Damn so they have
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Damn so they have
Bummer, didnt know that till now
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 4:07:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
This is something that has me incredibly hesitant to pursue getting my FFL again.  I've got all the paperwork prepped...just need to do it or shred the damn folder.  I may be able to make it profitable but I'm not sure if the juice is worth the squeeze as a side gig/job for my wife.   I'm not at the point yet where I can take in gunsmithing work...nor am I sure if I want to even touch that realm with a 10ft pole again.  Might just moonlight at the range less than a mile away.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top