Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 5/10/2022 12:19:31 AM EDT
Here is another knife I made, I do not have the privilege of saying I made this leather sheath, though I wish I did. I got it from an individual in Istanbul, Turkey, and it was some of the finest leatherwork I've seen to date.  I am also not sure if posting them this way is the best way to do so, I imagine I need to make a thread and just continually update it?  I have a good many photos, and I am taking more all the time.
" />

" />

" />

" />
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 8:07:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Dumb question- what/why is that little notch for?

I always found those annoying when cutting rope or something and it just snags in the notch.

Nice knife.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 8:20:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I always found those annoying when cutting rope or something and it just snags in the notch.

Nice knife.
View Quote

That particular one there is for nothing really. It wasn't big enough for a finger, wasn't at the base of the cutting edge where it usually is, it's just where the dude wanted it. But, that little notch which is usually at the base of the blade, is called a sharpening choil, and it allows you to get the blade sharp without the plunge line/ricasso area interfering.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 8:20:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Very cool op.

Quoted:

Nice knife.
View Quote
When it is in the blade part and called a sharpening choil.

Link Posted: 5/10/2022 8:43:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Nice knife.
View Quote
You can always just put your index finger over a sharpening notch when cutting stuff that might get caught in it to act as a depth stop. This works well on feed bags.

Nice knife, I like how the OP tarted it up with the red liners and by varying the pin sizes.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 8:47:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

That particular one there is for nothing really. It wasn't big enough for a finger, wasn't at the base of the cutting edge where it usually is, it's just where the dude wanted it. But, that little notch which is usually at the base of the blade, is called a sharpening choil, and it allows you to get the blade sharp without the plunge line/ricasso area interfering.
View Quote
This is where you're wrong. It is obvious that the knifemaker intended that notch for striking firesteels, and that it wasn't a mere decorative feature.

Give the maker some respect.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 8:53:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You can always just put your index finger over a sharpening notch when cutting stuff that might get caught in it to act as a depth stop. This works well on feed bags.

Nice knife, I like how the OP tarted it up with the red liners and by varying the pin sizes.
View Quote

Thank you, I use liners on all my stuff that isn't solid g10 already. Gives it a nice touch. It's a red g10 liner sandwiched between to real thin black ones.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 10:13:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Nice!
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 8:00:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Nice!
View Quote

And here we are again Merlin.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 9:41:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nice!

Link Posted: 5/11/2022 11:57:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nice!

Stole this off TNDeer.com this morning.

Link Posted: 5/11/2022 2:32:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/efeFEMt.png

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nice!

https://i.imgur.com/efeFEMt.png

that is awesome dude!!
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top