Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2020 12:07:09 AM EDT
So mailed my forms and fingerprints to the ATF, Card was charged yesterday which got me to thinking. On a paper Form 4 can you call and check on the status or do you just wait for it to show up in the mail one day? BTW this was a form 4 transfer in the same state so no dealer involved.
Link Posted: 9/13/2020 1:13:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes, you can call BATF as often as you'd like. Just be prepared to not hear the answer you want for 6-12 months

What I did was call once shortly after all the SilencerShop work was done to confirm they had what they needed (aka pending). Then I left it alone for a few months until I got impatient and started calling every month or so until it was approved.
Link Posted: 9/13/2020 10:00:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
So mailed my forms and fingerprints to the ATF, Card was charged yesterday which got me to thinking. On a paper Form 4 can you call and check on the status or do you just wait for it to show up in the mail one day? BTW this was a form 4 transfer in the same state so no dealer involved.
View Quote

https://www.silencershop.com/nfa-transfer-status

Look here for NFA Branch number
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 5:31:31 AM EDT
[#3]
NFA Branch number: 304-616-4500
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 7:46:32 AM EDT
[#4]
I always call about a month after my check clears just to make sure my form is "In process", then I try to forget about it.

Maybe I'm a bit paranoid, but if there were to be some problem, I'd like to know early rather than 8-9 months later.

ETA: This is because on my first Form 4 I did wait about 8 months to call only to be told they had nothing on file. After a near panic stricken call to my dealer, it was determined that they had transposed a character on the serial number, thus the reason there wasn't a match in the database. He got it straightened out, my can actually was in process, and my stamp actually came in just a few days later. But still.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top