Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/10/2021 10:45:55 AM EDT
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

First things first, disassembly, rust removal, and then removal of the bore obstruction and repair of demil hole.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 12:26:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Alaska-Shooter] [#1]

Very cool.  Has anyone found a way to reload and fire a round for these yet?
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 1:08:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Subscribed to this interesting thread! Thanks for doing it.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 1:21:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By mwarnick1:

Very cool.  Has anyone found a way to reload and fire a round for these yet?
View Quote

From some US Army lab reports I found, the nominal chamber pressure is 10kpsi with factory rounds. So, the only thing I know is I have 84mm and 10kpsi to work with as limitations.

I intend to explore the medium. My main goal is to use this as a test platform for subcal designs Ive conceived of. And also explore the viability of 3d printed cases and payload enclosures for chalk and other options.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 1:25:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Side note: every fucking screw is staked on here. Big pain in the ass.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 2:07:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I’m looking forward to seeing what you come up with
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 2:15:33 PM EDT
[#6]
You and me both. I have a day set aside later this month to finish the RPG-2
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 2:28:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Skinnywater:
Subscribed to this interesting thread! Thanks for doing it.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/10/2021 3:12:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Removed the bore obstruction and starting the very time consuming and precise matter of restoring the rifling at the muzzle.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 4:26:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Whats the plan for restoring the rifling?
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 4:56:07 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm using a half round bastard file to get it around the height of the rifling lands. Then bust out my precision needle files made in W Germany. Attachment Attached File

Realistically good enough is good enough as I never anticipate getting my hands on factory ammo. But I'll give it my best.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 6:50:28 PM EDT
[#11]
And in a case of absolute serendipity, I have a square file that fits the grooves of the rifling perfectly.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 7:17:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Wingnut116ACW:
And in a case of absolute serendipity, I have a square file that fits the grooves of the rifling perfectly.https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/29456/20211010_174017_jpg-2125340.JPG
View Quote

That’s hot
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 7:31:09 PM EDT
[#13]
And in a case of absolute serendipity, I have a square file that fits the grooves of the rifling perfectly.https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/29456/20211010_174017_jpg-2125340.JPG
View Quote

Honestly if you didn't - the solution would have been to grind one to fit. There's no easy way to fix rifling like that but it doesn't have to be perfect. Just make sure it's fairly uniform and doesn't stand proud or have burrs and you're golden.

I like your idea to go more with using the rifle as a subcal host than trying to start from scratch with very little info.

Chamber pressure 10kpsi - that's a mighty large amount for a chamber that size and with such a large thin bore. I knew these beasts were serious but yikes. Good thing you have experience with grenades. Just make sure this one doesn't explode.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 8:56:08 PM EDT
[#14]
And the capacity to fling a couple pound smoke pot a couple hundred yards using 3d printed nylon parts is on the punch list as well.  DIY OC smoke mix is on the list too.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 9:56:24 PM EDT
[#15]
@DK-Prof
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 10:10:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 10:11:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JonathanwFL] [#17]
Best of luck with the project, can’t wait to see the end results
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 10:13:57 PM EDT
[#18]
OST
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 10:14:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/11/2021 6:36:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By DK-Prof:
The best part of this project is that he has an INTACT firing pin!!  

He’s very lucky the part didn’t get “lost” while the gun was stored at an unspecified location.  
View Quote

Once I get the firing pin in hand (shipped separately), I'll take a look at it, drink on it, and see how I could reproduce or simply.
Link Posted: 10/11/2021 7:15:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: eodinert] [#21]
Most epic.

I'd make a sled to hold a dremel with a cutoff wheel a prescribed distance off of the rifling... not sure how I'd go after the stuff between the rifling, but it wouldn't be with a hand file.
Link Posted: 10/11/2021 8:33:52 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By eodinert:
Most epic.

I'd make a sled to hold a dremel with a cutoff wheel a prescribed distance off of the rifling... not sure how I'd go after the stuff between the rifling, but it wouldn't be with a hand file.
View Quote

My approach will be slow and steady. I have really honed my dremel skills with my 240 and Sten builds. Need to pick up a few grinding stones and find my flex shaft.

I'll be spending a full day down with Rudy this month to futz around with the RPG2 and your round. I haven't forgotten and the old man needs to recover from Knob Creek before pressing him into action. Thankfully, I'm close to him after moving over the summer.
Link Posted: 10/11/2021 11:30:34 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/11/2021 12:22:27 PM EDT
[#24]

Once I get the firing pin in hand (shipped separately), I'll take a look at it, drink on it, and see how I could reproduce or simply.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

He’s very lucky the part didn’t get “lost” while the gun was stored at an unspecified location.  

There are at least a few of us here that are also willing to turn some out as needed - assuming accurate dimensions can be provided.
Link Posted: 10/11/2021 12:26:14 PM EDT
[#25]
This design, and the resultant mechanism has been largely unchanged since it was designed 75 years ago. This was a design that had to persist through a few iterations of changes over the decades in the name of backwards compatibility. The fact that the firing system dovetails into the tube, allowing for complete replacement gives me pause to consider the potential plethora of options. I just need to get the rest of the parts in hand, a fifth of Evan Williams, and some pencil and paper.
Link Posted: 10/11/2021 3:37:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/11/2021 3:41:23 PM EDT
[#27]
I wonder who in the US could make barrels…and would.
Link Posted: 10/11/2021 4:18:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Third_Rail] [#28]

It’s a very complicated shape.  It cannot be done on a lathe alone.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Third_Rail:

There are at least a few of us here that are also willing to turn some out as needed - assuming accurate dimensions can be provided.

Oh that's right. You've even told me that more than once over the years.

Originally Posted By Ryan_Scott:

At 84mm like that? Any manufacturer of 4100 series or similar MLR tubing. It would be on a custom basis.
Link Posted: 10/11/2021 4:28:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 10/11/2021 6:06:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Ryan_Scott:
View Quote

Well. How attached to rifling are you?
Link Posted: 10/11/2021 9:09:35 PM EDT
[#31]
I mean - if you're not using a factory round, kick out a rocket w/ a recoiless charge of black powder, and turn on  the spinny rockets - poof!  Spin stabilized, no rifling.
Link Posted: 10/11/2021 9:20:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Attachment Attached File

Finally have a bare tube. Broke two new craftsman screwdrivers, had to drill a screw, and have one stubborn one left to remove on the cone. I need to source some G10 blocks to fabricate some grips and knobs for the locking mechanism and blast deflector.
Link Posted: 10/11/2021 9:26:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 10/11/2021 9:53:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Nice!

It’s definitely hard to remove the cone.  
View Quote

The screw holding the main screw was seized. Had to drill it. Was a pain in my ass. Old, rusted, staked, and soft metal fasteners have done me no favor.
Link Posted: 10/11/2021 10:25:01 PM EDT
[#35]
And the capacity to fling a couple pound smoke pot a couple hundred yards using 3d printed nylon parts is on the punch list as well.  DIY OC smoke mix is on the list too.
View Quote

Tagged for DIY OC smoke mix recipe.

Don't make me beg.
Link Posted: 10/11/2021 10:29:00 PM EDT
[#36]

I am VERY interested in your thoughts on that.

My pin is currently somewhat jury-rigged (jerry-rigged?), and I would love to have another.
View All Quotes

My pin is currently somewhat jury-rigged (jerry-rigged?), and I would love to have another.

I thought someone got involved to make some? Any pics? I thought I offered to try my hand at one.
Link Posted: 10/11/2021 10:30:56 PM EDT
[#37]

View Quote

I'll add that SLS Metal 3D printing is wildly affordable now.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 8:47:21 AM EDT
[#38]

View Quote

Could ECM the rifling with the use of a 3d printed sections like they do the FGC 9 barrel on a larger scale
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 9:37:18 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By fmj_shooter:

I thought someone got involved to make some? Any pics? I thought I offered to try my hand at one.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By fmj_shooter:

…and dimensions.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 11:25:24 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By JonathanwFL:

Could ECM the rifling with the use of a 3d printed sections like they do the FGC 9 barrel on a larger scale
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JonathanwFL:

Yes - absolutely.

I still say going with custom MLR tubing is the way to go. At such large sizes it's cheap enough to have a run done - assuming there's enough interest in it.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 4:05:27 PM EDT
[#41]

I'll be spending a full day down with Rudy this month to futz around with the RPG2 and your round. I haven't forgotten and the old man needs to recover from Knob Creek before pressing him into action. Thankfully, I'm close to him after moving over the summer.
View Quote

Sweet!

Someday when I quit working overseas, I'll have time to shoot mine.  I'm curious to check the location of my firing pin with that projectile, and see how close I got.  That's the only round I've ever found that located the primer so precisely.

Link Posted: 10/13/2021 11:35:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Third_Rail] [#42]
I had an odd thought this morning and I want to throw it out there before I forget entirely: does anyone feel like measuring and drawing the case and projectiles? If so I - or anyone with QL/QD - could input the data and start looking at known powders to get a baseline idea of the internal ballistics.

ETA: For anyone unfamiliar with QuickDESIGN here's example data from .308 Winchester. That's the thoroughness of data needed.

Link Posted: 10/13/2021 1:42:52 PM EDT
[#43]
I had an odd thought this morning and I want to throw it out there before I forget entirely: does anyone feel like measuring and drawing the case and projectiles? If so I - or anyone with QL/QD - could input the data and start looking at known powders to get a baseline idea of the internal ballistics.

ETA: For anyone unfamiliar with QuickDESIGN here's example data from .308 Winchester. That's the thoroughness of data needed.

https://i.imgur.com/PfDIovK.png
https://i.imgur.com/ViBFVSO.png
https://i.imgur.com/loI9IxN.png
View Quote

That would be a handy place to start working up loads. And that data would be invaluable to start with. Ultimately I need the case modeled so I can print one or two in Nylon to test viability. For projos like chalk, nylon would work like a champ. I Think it would work for cases as well
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 1:56:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Third_Rail] [#44]

That would be a handy place to start working up loads. And that data would be invaluable to start with. Ultimately I need the case modeled so I can print one or two in Nylon to test viability. For projos like chalk, nylon would work like a champ. I Think it would work for cases as well
View All Quotes

https://i.imgur.com/PfDIovK.png
https://i.imgur.com/ViBFVSO.png
https://i.imgur.com/loI9IxN.png

Are the cases that expensive these days? I last saw them for somewhere around a hundred bucks with inert projectiles.

ETA: That question assumed that the inert examples are even intact enough to use. That may not be the case - I've not disassembled any of mine and I don't intend to.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 4:12:56 PM EDT
[#45]
Attachment Attached File

Damned screws holding on the optic mounting plate are a weapons grade bitch. Broke two screw drivers and now a broken screw extractor
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 4:33:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Drill them out totally and bush?
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 4:45:13 PM EDT
[#47]
Tried and then tried smacking with a hammer. No joy. So I thought there must me something else hanging up.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 4:56:32 PM EDT
[#48]
Tried and then tried smacking with a hammer. No joy. So I thought there must me something else hanging up.
View Quote

I mean drill past the threads then bush both parts and tap new threads. You have to know when to give up on things like that.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 10:02:15 PM EDT
[#49]
Okay, riddle me this. There is some pitting on the tube. The worst is in the bottom pic. Worry about it? Repair it? Let it roll?  I'm no expert on pitting. Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 10:04:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Wingnut116ACW] [#50]
Secondary thought: Anyone have a cheek pad that I could get dimensions off of or borrow?  My launcher is also missing the shoulder rest/bipod attachment point. Anyone have pics of one?

I have a guy that will be able to make me a sling and a cheek pad out of top quality leather. Id rather have a pattern than let him wing it, but he made a fantastic padded leather sling for my MAG58 build.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top