Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 11:18:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nothing...
View Quote

Just goes to show how silly the entire thing is...
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 5:58:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
What's to stop someone from doing the following as an end-around way to get a shitload of SBRs registered without tax?:

1. Buy 20 stripped AR-15 lowers.
2. Buy one single pistol brace.
3. Buy one 10.5" upper.
4. Buy one set of all other parts needed to make a functional AR-15 (fire control group, bolt carrier, etc)
5. Take a lower, attach the brace, insert the parts, attach the upper.
6. Take a picture of the "braced pistol" and submit to the ATF for amnesty.
7. Move brace, upper, etc, to the next lower, rinse and repeat 20x, avoid $4,000 in NFA tax.
View Quote

Maybe the desire to not have 20 of your firearms registered with .gov?
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 7:10:09 AM EDT
[#3]
No engraving required with this amnesty?
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 8:00:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
No engraving required with this amnesty?
View Quote
You know, that's a good point.  I don't have to engrave my factory SBRs.
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 9:15:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Problem solved.  Pistol braces were neat, but not needed for anything but the largest AR calibers

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 9:37:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Problem solved.  Pistol braces were neat, but not needed for anything but the largest AR calibers

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/207596/23AAC7B2-6BBB-4E67-8141-7AB37028E3CE_jpe-2512684.JPG
View Quote

Depending on the wording of the final rule that may be automatic SBR classification based on >120oz weight. Anything too heavy or too light - same for too long or too short - is classified as such in the draft proposal.
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 9:55:58 AM EDT
[#7]
I have some ocean front property in Arizona I will sell you if you believe this is a good thing.. very naïve and gullible
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 10:05:03 AM EDT
[#8]
I’ve been weighing my options since the proposed brace rules came out. I’ll probably swap my 10.5 for 14.5 P&W barrel and bypass all the bullshit AFT rules altogether…
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 10:20:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
So what about a CZ Scorpion pistol that came from the manufacturer as a pistol with a brace?
View Quote

I think we list the AFT as the maker, since they are the ones turning a pistol into an SBR

/sarc
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 10:26:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I think we list the AFT as the maker, since they are the ones turning a pistol into an SBR

/sarc
View Quote
Engraving should be:

Retard
Washington DC

Link Posted: 9/3/2022 10:46:46 AM EDT
[#11]
The way ATF amnesty worked in the past for retroactive stuff, like the USAS-12 shotgun (now DD), was you filled out a Form 1 and listed the manufacturer on the receiver (just like any other F1 for an existing firearm you bought new) and you didn't have to engrave because it left the factory/importer in the same configuration you have now, so you haven't "made" anything. ATF waived the $200 tax from the time of their ruling declaring it a DD (in the 1990s) to like 2002ish.

Even today if you have an unregistered USAS-12 receiver (disassembled with the barrel far away, of course) you can still F1 it and register it as a DD, but you pay the $200 tax and you're assumed to be the maker (since you're going to put it together from parts, right?) so you're required to engrave it.
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 7:17:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The way ATF amnesty worked in the past for retroactive stuff, like the USAS-12 shotgun (now DD), was you filled out a Form 1 and listed the manufacturer on the receiver (just like any other F1 for an existing firearm you bought new) and you didn't have to engrave because it left the factory/importer in the same configuration you have now, so you haven't "made" anything. ATF waived the $200 tax from the time of their ruling declaring it a DD (in the 1990s) to like 2002ish.

Even today if you have an unregistered USAS-12 receiver (disassembled with the barrel far away, of course) you can still F1 it and register it as a DD, but you pay the $200 tax and you're assumed to be the maker (since you're going to put it together from parts, right?) so you're required to engrave it.
View Quote

Cool… not the situation, but that there was a legitimate way it was being handled prior. That makes a little more sense, because it would be off to engrave stuff I didn’t make.

I’m already on lists from my suppressors, so I’ll really have to contemplate if Form 1ing my braced firearms would be smart. Most of them, I already was sort of siding with SBRing. But if it’s tax exempt, it would be a no brainer… and if I didn’t have to engrave, even better. Only cost would be adding stocks.
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 7:36:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Bout to go print a few braces for my lowers.
View Quote

Why?
Use same brace on all three pistols, and all stripped lowers you have.

Also, since it's pics, I'd have braces taped to glocks, 1911s, aks, and everything.
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 2:20:05 PM EDT
[#14]
What about the shock wave?
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 4:15:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
What about the shock wave?
View Quote

In the Proposed Rule, ATF said they don't consider shotguns with braces to be lawful.  So doubtful that they would allow them to be registered tax free.
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 9:14:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Not shotguns, Shockwave blade brace

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 9:18:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
If they go that route it will take years to complete any NFA paperwork.
View Quote

Feature not a bug
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 10:01:51 PM EDT
[#18]
So if I want to build something with a brace it’d be a good idea to do it sooner rather than later?
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 1:02:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
You know, that's a good point.  I don't have to engrave my factory SBRs.
View Quote

I think there is more gray area in engraving that people admit. I have always done so as it is our accepted process, but I have also seen assertions that if you are SBRing a Colt Firearm with Colt info you could resubmit that. People will jump out of their shoes to tell me I am wrong but I want to see the text law or regulation, not an interpretation of it.

When you realize a lot of the stuff we consider regulations or rules aren't written anywhere precisely or are totally ambiguous, but the common understanding of them is written everywhere, you realize how silly all this junk is.
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 8:54:38 AM EDT
[#20]
I was just getting my stuff together to form 1 a build, I'm going to be competing shortly.
Now I don't know if I should hold off to save $200, and just put a brace on temporary?
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 9:19:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I was just getting my stuff together to form 1 a build, I'm going to be competing shortly.
Now I don't know if I should hold off to save $200, and just put a brace on temporary?
View Quote

That’s basically where I am also…
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 10:42:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

That’s basically where I am also…
View Quote

On one hand it's a $200 savings, which is great. (actually a $400 savings for me, I'm planning on doing 2 being I have to go through the trouble anyway)

On the other hand it may not even happen. If it did the backlog would be huge and it would take forever to get approved. Unless they streamlined the process somehow.
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 2:43:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

On one hand it's a $200 savings, which is great. (actually a $400 savings for me, I'm planning on doing 2 being I have to go through the trouble anyway)

On the other hand it may not even happen. If it did the backlog would be huge and it would take forever to get approved. Unless they streamlined the process somehow.
View Quote

Agreed, I was also going to do two. But since I had to do an sbs form 1 I went ahead and submitted 1 form 1 for an sbr.  If they do an amnesty I will submit the second one…
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 3:45:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Edit

Someone linked this thread as a dupe to GD. I thought this was GD
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top