Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/12/2023 2:15:02 PM EDT
I need to buy ~1,000 rounds of .30-06 suitable for use in a registered M1919 MG.

Obviously, I want to pay as little as possible but I m not cheap enough to risk destroying a $20K MG.

I am not particularly concerned about accuracy. I just want ammo that will safely run in my M1919.

I will be using cloth belts.

Not interested in reloading for this.

Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/13/2023 7:39:40 AM EDT
[#2]
The feed mechanism of the 1919 depends on the overall length of the cartridge for reliable feeding.  Cartridges that are too long will not fit on the feed tray and ones that are too short will not be picked up by the extractor.  Also, soft-point bullets will be driven forward by the extractor during the feed cycle and won't get picked up.  You need a cartridge that has a full-metal-jacketed bullet that matches the overall length of GI ball ammo.  Old surplus is getting very hard to find, so you will probably wind up paying for modern ammo that matches the old specs like PMP or PPU.  Personally, I would avoid steel-cased ammo, but it would probably work.

Right now on Ammoseek, Turkish MKE .30-06 is being offered for around $ .73 - 77/round.  I know nothing about this ammo, but if it is of good quality, it would work well in your Browning.
Link Posted: 2/13/2023 8:16:19 AM EDT
[#3]
I never ran anything but 308 or 8mm. Sold my mg but still have a complete setup for 8mm laying around.
Great guns my gun always ran 100%, ran links
Link Posted: 2/13/2023 8:33:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The feed mechanism of the 1919 depends on the overall length of the cartridge for reliable feeding.  Cartridges that are too long will not fit on the feed tray and ones that are too short will not be picked up by the extractor.  Also, soft-point bullets will be driven forward by the extractor during the feed cycle and won't get picked up.  You need a cartridge that has a full-metal-jacketed bullet that matches the overall length of GI ball ammo.  Old surplus is getting very hard to find, so you will probably wind up paying for modern ammo that matches the old specs like PMP or PPU.  Personally, I would avoid steel-cased ammo, but it would probably work.

Right now on Ammoseek, Turkish MKE .30-06 is being offered for around $ .73 - 77/round.  I know nothing about this ammo, but if it is of good quality, it would work well in your Browning.
View Quote

Thanks! GREAT information

The Turk surplus seems to get mixed reviews with the 70s production being favored over the 60s production.

This is for an upcoming shoot. So I may just have to buck-up and drop a grand for the new production PPU.

So, basically anything that is “Garand safe” should be GTG in my 1919, is that a good rule of thumb???
Link Posted: 2/13/2023 8:37:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Yes- any ammo specifically designated for use in an M1 rifle will be fine in a 1919.
Link Posted: 2/13/2023 9:21:04 AM EDT
[#6]
I'd look for some HXP surplus, most of the loose stuff sold by the CMP was delinked MG food.  Plenty to be had on Gunbroker or you could invite me to the shoot and I'll donate half and sell you the other half.  It's good M2 Ball
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 7:58:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'd look for some HXP surplus, most of the loose stuff sold by the CMP was delinked MG food.  Plenty to be had on Gunbroker or you could invite me to the shoot and I'll donate half and sell you the other half.  It's good M2 Ball
View Quote

I’d take you up on the offer but I’m already somebody’s guest for this
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 11:33:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The Turk surplus seems to get mixed reviews with the 70s production being favored over the 60s production.

This is for an upcoming shoot. So I may just have to buck-up and drop a grand for the new production PPU.

So, basically anything that is “Garand safe” should be GTG in my 1919, is that a good rule of thumb???
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What shoot you headed to? I need to find me one to start going to again.
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 12:10:14 AM EDT
[#9]
As someone mentioned, a 7.62mm conversion kit should be on your shopping list. Ammo is a bit cheaper, and still being produced in volume.
Unless you are an occasional shooter. Then just find Garand spec ammo. Cloth belts are smart, avoid some of the foreign cloth belts as they don't load well.
Enjoy your shoot!
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 4:36:08 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't have any recommendations for 30.06 in a M1919 as I don't ever run that caliber in my gun.

However, based on the poster comment above about a 7.62 kit (assuming 7.62x51 / 308win) I would also suggest looking at the 7.62x39 conversion from Troy at Barrelxchange.

I bought the 7.62x39 conversion for my M1919A4 and that is all I shoot anymore.  At ~$350 per K for 7.62x39 vs. ~$700+ per K of 7.62x51 or ~$1000 per K for 30.06 the 7.62x39 kit actually pays for itself pretty quickly.

I was skeptical at first regarding how reliable it would be given the reduced length/power of the 7.62x39 round and the polymer links that are used to feed the gun.   However, I am way over 5000rds on the kit at this point and have have very little trouble with it and its easily paid for itself at this point.
Link Posted: 2/25/2023 11:44:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I never ran anything but 308 or 8mm. Sold my mg but still have a complete setup for 8mm laying around.
Great guns my gun always ran 100%, ran links
View Quote

Do 1919's run the standard M13 links for 30/06 and 308?
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 2:40:16 AM EDT
[#12]
In general M1919s dont run M13 links.  M13 links are a push through design, where the bolt head pushed the round out of the link in a back to the front orientation.

The 1919  pulls the round out of the back of the link, drops it down the bolt face T slot and then chambers the round.

There are actually different links for 30.06 vs. 308 as well.

There is a M1919 config that will run M13 links called the C5 which was done my Canada. However C5 parts are rare and it not a drop in conversion.

Link Posted: 2/26/2023 2:58:39 AM EDT
[#13]
https://battlehawkarmory.com/product/turkish-30-06-spgfld-150fmj-non-corr-boxer-60s-mke-prod-400ct-case?utm_source=wikiarms&utm_medium=referral&utm_content=deallistings&utm_campaign=wikiarmslistings
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 3:38:13 PM EDT
[#14]
You can shim up the front cartridge guide for short ammo.  I have some 7.62x51 DAG green blanks that are too short. A simple piece of tape and card stock was more than enough to get them to feed reliably.  Without the card stock the ejector would not grab the cartridge and close on an empty chamber.  Yes, it is running 7.62x51 cartridge guides front and rear.

I also have the 30.06, 8mm and 7.62x39 conversions.  Well worth the money.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top