Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/11/2017 8:26:59 PM EDT
Do you guys store your ammo in the same safe as your guns, or do you use something like a Stack-On ammo “safe”?

I’m thinking about moving my ammo to one of those keyed Stack-On ammo safes from Cabelas that run about $175, but I’m wondering if it’s a waste???
Link Posted: 11/11/2017 10:17:24 PM EDT
[#1]
I wish I could afford to store ammo that way.  I can't afford to buy enough.

I use Jobox work site containers.
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 8:20:07 AM EDT
[#2]
My purely subjective take in this- a thief would need to take a lot of ammunition to make a trip worthwhile. He/she would need to carry 3,000 rounds of 5.56/.223 to walk away with $1,000 retail price of goods to their getaway vehicle. Can you carry that in one trip? I’m sure there are plenty of other things in most houses that could be taken in grab and go that are lighter and much easier to carry for the common thief.
Keeping speciality ammo or large caliber ammo locked up would be wise (stuff that’s anywhere from $1-5/round) but oustide of that, I can’t see a several thousand dollar loss of ammunition- particularly if you have other layers of security in place (alarm system, cameras, etc). Most things that people use such as job boxes and cheap safes are so easily defeated that if someone wants to get in and carry out said objects, sheet metal isn’t going to stop them.
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 11:44:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I am not one of those people who store ammo with the guns in the safe.  I do keep them separate from each other for several reasons.  First, I only have one safe and its not big enough to hold both.  Second, if a burglar broke into my safe, they would get my guns but would need to find the ammo.  I don't want to get shot from my own guns if I was walking into a burglary in progress or if the criminal was waiting for me to get home.  Most of my ammo is locked up in a cheap foot locker.  I do plan on getting a cheap Stack On safe with fire protection for the ammo.  I know the fire protection is probably worth shit, but I figured any protection is better than none for ammo.  I just don't feel right storing ammo in a container with no fire protection.  And third, in case of ammo exploding due to a fire, I don't want ammo blowing up with my guns in the safe.  Black Friday is coming soon and deals can be had for less than $500 for a cheap fire safe for ammo.
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 1:01:17 AM EDT
[#4]
50 and 30 cal cans fit perfectly in filing cabinets.
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 10:27:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Lots of threads on this in the archives.

Neither.  Ammo is in cans, on heavy duty shelving.  There are color-coded labels to help keep everything sorted and easy to find.  

It's not inside a safe or lockable cabinet of any kind, since any sizeable amount of ammo utterly precludes that.  

And to address the most common response: the ammo is not unprotected- it is within the layered security system that the property, house exterior, and house interior have.  My guns are protected by one additional level of security- the safes.  There is not that much difference there if you're doing it right.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 1:03:46 AM EDT
[#6]
I have never locked up ammo.  Just not practical for me.

My rifle and pistol ammo is in cans.  Way too much shotgun ammo for that.  Too bulky and I usually have quite a bit on hand, especially since I reload it for clays.

Link Posted: 11/14/2017 1:31:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Same as the guys above. There would be no practical or economical way for me to store ammo in a safe. Just to much space.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 1:42:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Great to know guys!  I just assumed people stores it in safes!
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 11:25:37 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't lock it up at all.  It is valuable, but it doesn't strike me as universally valuable, which is what thieves want: cash, jewelry or electronics.  Money or stuff they can fence for money.
Link Posted: 12/7/2017 2:46:24 PM EDT
[#10]
I use the Liberty Ammo Can safe and it works well for me. Each shelf holds about 125 pounds each. Matches up nicely with my Liberty safe
Link Posted: 12/7/2017 3:02:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Mine is in 30 and 50 cal GI ammo cans inside the airconditioned house. Some of the mil surplus 30-06 is well over 50 years old and some of the commercial stuff is 30 plus, they all still go bang.
Heat and moisture are the enemy, I'm not worried about thieves and we will be long out of the house or dead before any cooks off in a fire.
Link Posted: 12/7/2017 10:57:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I use the Liberty Ammo Can safe and it works well for me. Each shelf holds about 125 pounds each. Matches up nicely with my Liberty safe
View Quote
Interesting, I’ll check it out!
Link Posted: 12/7/2017 11:15:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Great to know guys!  I just assumed people stores it in safes!
View Quote
You will soon run out of room.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 5:35:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Most of mine is in 30cal and 50cal plastic ammo boxes with o-ring seals and stacked on a shelf in my shop and I have about 600 rounds .223 and a 1000 rounds of .22 here in the house for quick access, also a couple of boxes of 12 and 20 buck shot here in the house for the shotguns.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 5:42:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Attachment Attached File

Like this but with more.
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 12:07:33 PM EDT
[#16]

RIDGID STORAGE 60x24

Nice, clean and organized.  When workers or installers are in my house they just see a tool chest.  Or if pictures were to make it on the internetz, TOOL CHEST.

No moving that in a hurry from the basement, even if it were flooded and flotation was used!!!!
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 12:10:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

https://images.homedepot-static.com/productImages/d3ab8a74-5173-4251-8ef6-afc874cbeacf/svn/orange-ridgid-top-tool-chests-60r-os-64_1000.jpg

RIDGID STORAGE 60x24

Nice, clean and organized.  When workers or installers are in my house they just see a tool chest.  Or if pictures were to make it on the internetz, TOOL CHEST.

No moving that in a hurry from the basement, even if it were flooded and flotation was used!!!!
View Quote
I like this idea!  Thank you
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 12:21:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I like this idea!  Thank you
View Quote
I have had A/C guys in the house, Furnace guys, and other contractors working on this or that and they only remark that its the 'other guys' stuff for 'their' project.

I don't want my house known as THE AMMO BUNKER in case something occurs to make people start looking for opportunity.

I have even thrown old sheets, visqueen or moving blankets on it to further make it easily overlooked.

BONUS: Its clean and kept and the wife likes it (her ammo cans I mark in RED so she can easily pull her own ammo to go shoot if I am busy doing something else).

The only drawback is that ammo doesn't last forever, and its a pain to rotate ammo without pulling it ALL out and putting fresh on the bottom.

~Will
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 12:52:38 PM EDT
[#19]
The only drawback is that ammo doesn't last forever, and its a pain to rotate ammo without pulling it ALL out and putting fresh on the bottom.
View Quote
Yes, the rotation/use challenge for job boxes is a big issue for some.  Plus many will find they very quickly outgrow the storage capacity of a job box, or even several.

But if you are storing a limited quantity of ammo at a remote location, like a hunting cabin or range shed, they might be a great solution.
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 1:29:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Do you guys mark your ammo boxes with manufacturing dates or dates to use by for making switching out easier?
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 1:35:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Do you guys mark your ammo boxes with manufacturing dates or dates to use by for making switching out easier?
View Quote
I do not.  Modern factory ammo, stored properly in a quality ammo cans, will outlast me and anyone I might wish to give them ammo to later.

Ammo that has a suspect shelf life, or is very old to start with, goes into the "shoot it up" pile, which is not part of my long-term bulk storage.
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 7:52:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
No.  I am still shooting stuff I bought 25 years ago without any issues, so not concerned.  I label caliber and type.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 3:40:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Another Ridgid job box guy here. Can't get it all in just one but it holds alot. 48"x24" model from the Depot I think I paid around $200 a few years back.
I have 37 50 cal cans and 10 30 cal cans in this one. Still has some room on top for other stuff. I have some random boxes of shells and a few battle  packs on top of the cans

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 1:31:34 PM EDT
[#24]
My state sucks and we have dumb laws, all ammo and components must be locked up. My main safe only has a few loaded mags for the main guns (pistil, rifle, and shotgun). I keep most ammo in ammo cans in a storage cabinet or under the bench locked. I also have a cheap stack on cabinet that holds the usual ammo for range trips so I don't deplete my cans.
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 2:23:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 2:39:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 4:34:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Ammo cans in the closet in my gun room.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 12:25:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Do you guys store your ammo in the same safe as your guns, or do you use something like a Stack-On ammo “safe”?
View Quote
Neither.

First, most of my ammunition is stored in the form of components, not assembled rounds, since I pretty much exclusively shoot only what I load.

Both my prepared brass and the small quantity of assembled ammunition that I have on hand are stored in plastic boxes that have a separate compartment for each round.  These plastic boxes are then placed in steel ammunition cans with a desiccant container.  The steel ammunition cans are then stacked inside one of two particleboard cabinets which are then closed with a padlock.

Since I recognize that a sheet steel cabinet will resist a determined thief with a crowbar and/or an angle grinder for only a matter of minutes, this is done primarily to keep it out of sight and away from children, not to prevent it from being stolen.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 12:29:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
Neither.

First, most of my ammunition is stored in the form of components, not assembled rounds, since I pretty much exclusively shoot only what I load.

Both my prepared brass and the small quantity of assembled ammunition that I have on hand are stored in plastic boxes that have a separate compartment for each round.  These plastic boxes are then placed in steel ammunition cans with a desiccant container.  The steel ammunition cans are then stacked inside one of two particleboard cabinets which are then closed with a padlock.

Since I recognize that a sheet steel cabinet will resist a determined thief with a crowbar and/or an angle grinder for only a matter of minutes, this is done primarily to keep it out of sight and away from children, not to prevent it from being stolen.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 11:49:53 AM EDT
[#30]
I store my shit in a separate facility.  This is me storing away some .22 LR.

One of these days I'll get around to organizing it by caliber.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 12:06:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/nGCxLyi.gif

View Quote
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 5:46:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

https://images.homedepot-static.com/productImages/d3ab8a74-5173-4251-8ef6-afc874cbeacf/svn/orange-ridgid-top-tool-chests-60r-os-64_1000.jpg

RIDGID STORAGE 60x24

View Quote
Not saying it's a bad idea, but if you're hoping people just think it's for tools, you may be inviting more trouble than you realize because if it were filled with tools, it'd be worth more than if it were filled with ammo...and be easier to pawn after being stolen.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 6:49:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
My state sucks and we have dumb laws, all ammo and components must be locked up.
View Quote
That sucks

UK laws mean ALL ammo must be licked away, but not components or shotgun ammo (unless it's solid slug)

Mine is in a variety of places...one an old traditional heavy office safe, more in an old pistol safe, with a third space when I get around to using it of an old lower spec. gunsafe.

For US storage, the on-site tool lockers look really cool.
May look into sourcing one of those here...as I'd not considered them as an ammo safe option before...but they offer a lot of space & are not going to cost a lot 2nd hand.
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 12:25:00 AM EDT
[#34]
Very good!
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 12:26:22 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
Very good!
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 10:15:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Grabbed one of the shorter height, beige MTM plastic ammo storage boxes you can get from Cabelas.  Local store had them for $9.97 on sale.  Was able to fit 1500 rounds of 5.56 in 20 round boxes in it.  Just need to grab some desiccant packs to throw in.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top