Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/26/2022 4:50:01 PM EDT
I finally found a 10/22 Target which has the hammer forged barrel.
I’ve been searching for this rifle for a long time.
I hope it lives up to my expectations.

It is my first 10/22 and also my first semi auto 22 so I’m looking for some ammo recommendations.
It will be used from the bench for 50-100m distances.

My current 22’s are all bolt actions and I’m using CCI Sandard Velocity, SK Rifle Match, and Federal Gold Medal which are all subsonic.
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 5:01:04 PM EDT
[#1]
What you're shooting is already great for the 10/22. You could try some Eley too if you find some. Minimags if you want supersonic accurate rounds.

But, for plinking (and not groups) and cheaper shooting, Federal 550 (or 800) packs have always worked great for me and last awhile.

Remington has been hit or miss for years. Blazer lead is good, just dirty. I don't have much experience with Winchester or Aguila, but enough people like them that I wouldn't have a problem trying them.

Beautiful rifle, by the way!
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 6:33:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I feed mine CCI SV and other subsonic/standard velocity labeled stuff (Aguila, various brand SSHP loads, etc) and the SK Std+

Of course, as with any 22 you gotta shoot it to see what it likes.  My first 10/22 build-up would shoot 5-8" patterns at 25 yards with almost everything I tried including CCI Green Tag and Ely Tenex, but CCI Blazer would give dime size 5 shot groups.
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 6:57:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Lapua Polar Biathlon
CCI Quiet 22 Semi Auto

Best 22 ammo I've ever used in ANY 22 I own.

10/22 specific advice is, don't use CCI Stingers.  Something about the way Ruger cuts the chamber make the two not play nice.  Terrible accuracy.  Groups like a shotgun pattern.
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 8:07:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I shoot Steel Challenge rimfire... I haven't been happy with the bulk Federal 800 pack.. had a squib in my Ruger MK IV, multiple failures to cock the hammer, and a couple of rounds that passed under some steel targets...

I shoot CCI SV and Blazer, and occasionally some of the 300 pack AR Tactical...CCI has a $99 break for free shipping, and you can meet it with a brick of SV and a brick of Blazer

if you are not familiar, you might take a look at shootingbot.com for available ammo/primer/powder, brass updates

https://www.shootingbot.com/
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 9:41:11 PM EDT
[#5]
The most that I use on my 10/22 is the Remington 40gr, they're easy to find so that's the one I use the most.

If Eley is available I try them to find out the good grouping that I could do with my rifle.

I have 2 10/22 rifles, my first one bought it brand new in 1970 I was still a teenager, still in factory standard configuration with a 1-7X Weaver scope (I'm keeping it original).

The second is a new in 1994 with a heavy contour barrel and Magpul Hunter X-22 OD green stock with Vortex Crossfire II 1-4X24 optic.
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 10:02:39 PM EDT
[#6]
I feed my 10/22 everything from Wolf Match to Rem Golden bullets.

Obviously the best stiff will give you more cobdutrncy and better accuracy.
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 8:35:13 AM EDT
[#7]
My 10/22 is very basic--only mods are a VQ trigger and a scope.  CCI Standard Velocity has been the most cost-efficient, reliable, and accurate ammo I've tried.  (multiple Appleseed Rifleman scores with this setup)  

It groups SK Standard Plus a bit better, but that stuff is twice the price of CCI.  I get 1-2 fliers out of 10 with the CCI, but at 25 yards, it's plenty good enough for any practical shooting.  If I need more precision, I'm shooting my B14R and SK

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top