Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/13/2020 9:55:21 PM EDT
Want to build a midway style shooting gallery, the old resettable metal target kind. Before jumping into the build, I have been testing low velocity ammo like CBs, Aguila colibri, etc as to ricochet concerns. Have even tried a few (very few) Remington 15 grain gallery shorts. So far the ammo selection I have found, available in quantity, seems to limit my options to breakable targets with bullet absorbing backstop. And my small supply of gallery shorts is in the collector category.

The question: is there any current manufacturer of .22 rimfire frangible or sintered bullets?
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 2:02:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I can't answer any of your questions but this sounds like a really fun project.

Please post updates as they occur.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 11:47:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Maybe the cci copper bullets designed for the California market?
The rws cb caps also a possibility
Cci standard velocity target shorts?
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 8:29:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Your best option may be to change targets. Some self-healing targets would prevent ricochets, and are available in all sorts of shapes for a fun gallery experience.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 8:39:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Not .22 but have you thought of trying .38 spl, reusable rubber bullets and just primer power? Primers would be a heck of a lot cheaper then .22 special ammo. My cases are just red plastic, the bullets are black rubber and the primers are just cheapo standards.

Or, a decent Airsoft setup, there is some pretty nice stuff out there that would work very well for what you want to do and the long term costs would be much cheaper. My son does airsoft with a group of people part of the year and his setup's [uses different ones depending on the velocity regs and rate of fire] are pretty dang nice without breaking the bank.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 8:05:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks all for the input. Was looking to build a classic shooting gallery to utilize a few original gallery guns I have. I’m am trying to acquire a box of the CCI copper bullet to try, but prices appear that it won’t be conducive to the quantity of shooting I’m expecting will happen.

Instead of the traditional all steel construction I had planned, maybe plywood and carpet for the side facing the shooter, with sheet steel backstop and look into the self healing targets and low speed .22s.

I’ve used and like primered rubber bullets, and the air soft idea would be safe and inexpensive for the young ones, but really want to get the rimfires back in use.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 10:07:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Have you tried RWS BB caps or 6mm Flobert rounds by chance? Its been a very long time since I saw frangible 22 ammo.

Ive always wanted to do this same thing in a gunshop but haven't made it to that part of my life yet to do. Please keep us updated on this because this is super cool.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top