Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/28/2018 10:50:59 AM EDT
Ordered a service grade from the cmp on the 20th. Went to academy and picked up some fusion federal 180gr at 2700fps 30-06 last night. Bout $100 worth . Weeelllll started looking around today and realized not all 30-06 is good for every garand. I'm getting mixed readings on whether 180gr at 2700fps is okay for my rifle. It seems a lot of places says UNDER 180 and some places say 180 will work depending on the velocity.

I think I wasted my money money considering the fusion is a upgraded deer load correct? Definitely don't want to damage this rifle. First garand and first 30-06. If it really does take milsurp loads I'm probably gonna have to order some online. I bought all the 30-06 at academy last night. I asked .

Does the schusters gas block allow me to use ANY 30-06 AND cycle the action? And if so, how do I initially tell what setting I should be on?
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 11:24:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Just go on line and buy an adjustable gas plug. Then you can shoot whatever you want.
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 11:26:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes it can...

"Installation:  Remove existing gas plug, and replace with your new adjustable gas plug. Start with setscrew  at the factory preset position. Turning the screw about ¼ turn at a time, tighten screw, and fire until the rifle functions reliably with your particular load. If the adjusting screws seems to loosen, install the hollow locking screw and tighten against the original setscrew locking it in place.  Locating your Rifle’s sweet spot requires some trial and error. Once rifle is functioning properly, try turning the setscrew 1/8 of a turn at a time and fire a few rounds. Repeat until best group is found. Some shooters like to scribe a small line on the setscrew itself, and use it as a marker for identifying plug position (i.e. 3 o clock)."

Garand Adjustable Gas Cylinder Plug Setup
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 4:25:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Awesome! Seems like I'd have bought a plug eventually anyway and I don't need to find someone to give the fusion to lol. Thanks guys!! Will definitely make a thread once she comes in!!!
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 7:45:29 PM EDT
[#4]
I wouldn't worry about it at all Rem Corelokts are 180grn at 2740fps...  no issues...

https://youtu.be/UOSdswZHJUc

TMG: M1 Garand commercial ammo testing ...safe or not??
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 7:48:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Is this true for the 308 M1 Garands?
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 8:12:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is this true for the 308 M1 Garands?
View Quote
They don't have any concerns on what ammo you feed them.

30-06 garands don't have any issues with commercial ammo...you just need to be wary about handloads with slow powder.
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 7:20:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Is 3031 ok.
168gr BTHP with 45gr of 3031
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 8:20:46 PM EDT
[#8]
@TheDirtyLarry  Don't forget to submit your rebate on the ammo.

Rack Up Rewards Promotion #: R9834
Purchase one (1) box of Fusion® ammunition and receive a $5.00 rebate. Limit 10 boxes.

Federal Fusion Rebate - Submit online

Click to download mail in form
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 9:56:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Hmmm some people make out like its a giant problem. So normal store bought ammo's okay?
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 11:17:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Hmmm some people make out like its a giant problem. So normal store bought ammo's okay?
View Quote
Yes ..

Make sure it's lubed properly and the oprod spring is in spec
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 11:29:24 AM EDT
[#11]
I would go ahead and buy this. I bought some when it was ~$340, down to $299 now.

https://www.sgammo.com/product/30-06-ammo/500-round-can-30-06-springfield-fmj-150-grain-prvi-partizan-m1-garand-ammo-pp3006
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 1:25:21 AM EDT
[#12]
It's hard to find Garand safe ammo these days. I recall Federal made a lot of them but I don't know how available those are. I advise buying the gas plug.

The problem is that the gas isn't regulated. When you fire the Garand, gas goes into the gas tube and pushes the op rod. If you think about it, there's nothing stopping stronger gas from hitting it. So with that in mind, it will most likely be fine if you shoot 180gr ammo occasionally through it. Making a habit out of it will be bad for your op rod and could bend it. Your rifle will not blow up or be unsafe if you decided to shoot modern, non-Garand specific ammo out of it. John Garand originally made the M1 Garand fire a different caliber, but the military wanted to use their .30-06 round. They originally had much stronger .30-06 rounds used, but "researchers" took into account of how far the bullet could go and the typical distances a range has to the nearest town/populated areas. They found a number and decided to make their .30-06 round be able to only get right before you can hit the populate areas should a person miss at the range. John Garand designed his rifle to only shoot the .30-06 round the military provided and at that time, .30-06 wasn't as popular. Stronger rounds came about post WW2 and became a hunters favorite with many different rounds to choose from, none of which designed for M1 Garand rifles.

However, just note you don't HAVE to buy the plug. Instead you can just unscrew the gas plug you have and simply cycle the bolt manually for 1 shot.
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 1:33:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Here is all the AMMO CMP sells

https://estore.thecmp.org/?cat=AMC
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 2:19:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Privi Partisan makes Garand safe ammo.  cheaper than CMP, and is new production.  wish I hadn't stocked up on so much old CMP greek stuff a couple years back.  but who knew the salad days would be among us.  even in an ammo can with free shipping.  love TSUSA
https://www.targetsportsusa.com/prvi-partizan-30-06-m1-garand-ammo-150-grain-fmj-500-rds-ammocan-p-3573.aspx

I see above sgammo has better price.  I don't check with them because they won't ship to MA.  anyone who knows of vendors who might ship to MA like TSUSA does, please feel free to share via pm
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 5:48:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
It's hard to find Garand safe ammo these days. I recall Federal made a lot of them but I don't know how available those are. I advise buying the gas plug.

The problem is that the gas isn't regulated. When you fire the Garand, gas goes into the gas tube and pushes the op rod. If you think about it, there's nothing stopping stronger gas from hitting it. So with that in mind, it will most likely be fine if you shoot 180gr ammo occasionally through it. Making a habit out of it will be bad for your op rod and could bend it. Your rifle will not blow up or be unsafe if you decided to shoot modern, non-Garand specific ammo out of it. John Garand originally made the M1 Garand fire a different caliber, but the military wanted to use their .30-06 round. They originally had much stronger .30-06 rounds used, but "researchers" took into account of how far the bullet could go and the typical distances a range has to the nearest town/populated areas. They found a number and decided to make their .30-06 round be able to only get right before you can hit the populate areas should a person miss at the range. John Garand designed his rifle to only shoot the .30-06 round the military provided and at that time, .30-06 wasn't as popular. Stronger rounds came about post WW2 and became a hunters favorite with many different rounds to choose from, none of which designed for M1 Garand rifles.

However, just note you don't HAVE to buy the plug. Instead you can just unscrew the gas plug you have and simply cycle the bolt manually for 1 shot.
View Quote
Here is some more accurate information..
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 8:56:33 AM EDT
[#16]
I wouldn't shoot just any regular commercial 30-06 through my Garand without a adjustable gas plug. Not a fan of beating the crap out of my guns for no reason.

InRangeTV: M1 Garand - Is Commercial Ammo Safe?
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 9:04:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I wouldn't shoot just any regular commercial 30-06 through my Garand without a adjustable gas plug. Not a fan of beating the crap out of my guns for no reason.

View Quote
Yeah.... this video is more accurate..

Link Posted: 1/4/2019 9:22:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOSdswZHJUc
View Quote
You cannot insert a YouTube video as a non-paying member, you'll need to hotlink the address instead. I'm not quite sure why you are repeatedly spamming the same video in this thread either. However, the video you are linking is a whole lot of yaking and providing very little evidence of anything. The slow speed footage isn't very clear at all while the video I link has a clear comparison between hot ammo and M2 ball plus the benefit of an adjustable gas plug. To call your video "more accurate" is frankly a joke and not a very funny one at that.
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 12:20:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
You cannot insert a YouTube video as a non-paying member, you'll need to hotlink the address instead. I'm not quite sure why you are repeatedly spamming the same video in this thread either. However, the video you are linking is a whole lot of yaking and providing very little evidence of anything. The slow speed footage isn't very clear at all while the video I link has a clear comparison between hot ammo and M2 ball plus the benefit of an adjustable gas plug. To call your video "more accurate" is frankly a joke and not a very funny one at that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOSdswZHJUc
You should watch the video I linked and the information contained in it.

Your video has two guys that can't get basic garand info correct..then they test one "unknown M2 Ball round" as their proof that commercial ammo is hot compared to milsurp.

The other video tested nearly 50 types of ammo and then presented the data in a spreadsheet... after correcting your videos incorrect info.

So...the takeaway is education is key here... And not to listen to two guys who don't know much about or understand the garand.
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 1:17:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
You should watch the video I linked and the information contained in it.

Your video has two guys that can't get basic garand info correct..then they test one "unknown M2 Ball round" as their proof that commercial ammo is hot compared to milsurp.

The other video tested nearly 50 types of ammo and then presented the data in a spreadsheet... after correcting your videos incorrect info.

So...the takeaway is education is key here... And not to listen to two guys who don't know much about or understand the garand.
View Quote
Your video does not test over 50 brands of ammo. It shows 2 or 3 tests and a link to a spreadsheet. I'm supposed to trust the data of some random guy who didn't even show the vast majority of data collection on video? Who's slow motion camera produces an image one step above a potato? I'm supposed to trust his math is accurate when his camera can't even capture high speed images without major distortion?

No thanks.
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 2:19:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Your video does not test over 50 brands of ammo. It shows 2 or 3 tests and a link to a spreadsheet. I'm supposed to trust the data of some random guy who didn't even show the vast majority of data collection on video? Who's slow motion camera produces an image one step above a potato? I'm supposed to trust his math is accurate when his camera can't even capture high speed images without major distortion?

No thanks.
View Quote
Again.if you want to watch 50 videos of slow motion action when you can read the spreadsheet....well.

The fact is your video has little info...is wrong on the facts and who knows what else
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 3:04:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Again.if you want to watch 50 videos of slow motion action when you can read the spreadsheet....well.

The fact is your video has little info...is wrong on the facts and who knows what else
View Quote
I've already pointed out the flaws of the spread sheet data. I'd rather watch 50 videos of ammo tests to see the test methodology and results with my own eyes then rely on one man's spread sheet info.
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 3:05:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I've already pointed out the flaws of the spread sheet data. I'd rather watch 50 videos of ammo tests to see the test methodology and results with my own eyes then rely on one man's spread sheet info.
View Quote
I thought the test methodology was covered in the video...
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 3:09:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Get the garandgear plug. Doesn't need adjusting, and you can see the pressure curves of the various loads on their website. No adjusting needed.
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 3:13:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Get the garandgear plug. Doesn't need adjusting, and you can see the pressure curves of the various loads on their website. No adjusting needed.
View Quote
Or go without as it's not needed
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 3:24:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I thought the test methodology was covered in the video...
View Quote
All the video shows is some guy talking to the camera with a couple quick cuts of crappy quality slow motion footage. Not once do you see him in frame pulling the trigger on camera with his testing setup in place.
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 6:26:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

All the video shows is some guy talking to the camera with a couple quick cuts of crappy quality slow motion footage. Not once do you see him in frame pulling the trigger on camera with his testing setup in place.
View Quote
What testing setup did you need to see...it was already explained in the video....just like in your video..

Don't attack the messenger..attack the message...
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 12:11:42 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
There's a noticeable travel between their test, but that doesn't necessarily equate to breakage. If you shoot a few commercial ammo through your garand, you are a-ok. Just make sure you are properly lubed and that you aren't making a habit of doing that. You can unscrew the gas cap if you're really paranoid. You should attempt to shoot mostly Garand safe ammo through it if it is possible, but if you are lacking or find cheaper ammo, it is okay to shoot occasionally.

The thing about the plug is that it is tuned to the specifically ammo. So you open it all the way and dial it down until you're able to cycle the ammo without failure and then dial it back a couple more to take into account of build up. Now the thing is if you switch ammo, you'll have to do it all over again. So it's not like if you buy a gas plug that you can go willy nilly crazy going to the ammo store and filling the shopping cart up with .30-06 ammo. Find the ammo you can't live without, then dial it with your garand. If you're unsure or want to shoot randomly, then just unscrew the gas plug so it is one shot.

It's the same thing with +P ammo. Nearly all manufacturers of modern pistols don't recommend shooting +P or +P+ ammo out of the gun as it will wear things down faster. Shooting it occasionally is okay and not harmful to your firearm. It's not that it is unsafe or that it will explode if you do. It may make your firearm wear out sooner and potentially put more stress on parts, thereby breaking it, but if you know what you're doing, you're fine.
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 12:21:33 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
That's just the thing. Most of the Garand's care is to do with oral traditions. It's passed on by one person to the next, but nobody knows why it is true. For example, grease is a major topic with garand and one that is passed on by oral traditions. Nobody knows where it came from or why you need to put grease on it, but you do because that's how they did it in WW2, after all. Upon closer look into the history of using grease, you'll see when they called out for grease, they told manufacturers they didn't want the grease to wash off if water gets on it. That's a big hint as to why grease was called for, and a big hint as to why grease isn't as important if you're just going to the range with it in normal weather and not storing the rifle upright.

With that said, the commercial ammo spec for .30-06 is just a oral tradition. Nobody knows why it is passed on or why they have to do it. Just do it, is what they're told. Or else! But or else what? What sort of dangers lurk in the commercial .30-06 world that the big bad M1 Garand can't handle? Would the boogie man run away if he sees you loading commercial spec ammo into your garand, or would he laugh and press on? Who knows, let's watch a video and study some spread sheet for hours.
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 8:38:31 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

That's just the thing. Most of the Garand's care is to do with oral traditions. It's passed on by one person to the next, but nobody knows why it is true. For example, grease is a major topic with garand and one that is passed on by oral traditions. Nobody knows where it came from or why you need to put grease on it, but you do because that's how they did it in WW2, after all. Upon closer look into the history of using grease, you'll see when they called out for grease, they told manufacturers they didn't want the grease to wash off if water gets on it. That's a big hint as to why grease was called for, and a big hint as to why grease isn't as important if you're just going to the range with it in normal weather and not storing the rifle upright.

With that said, the commercial ammo spec for .30-06 is just a oral tradition. Nobody knows why it is passed on or why they have to do it. Just do it, is what they're told. Or else! But or else what? What sort of dangers lurk in the commercial .30-06 world that the big bad M1 Garand can't handle? Would the boogie man run away if he sees you loading commercial spec ammo into your garand, or would he laugh and press on? Who knows, let's watch a video and study some spread sheet for hours.
View Quote
Your Grease comment isn't quite accurate.

Grease is specifically called for in FM 23-5...the garand manual. It's not an oral tradition.
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 12:32:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Grease is specifically called for in FM 23-5...the garand manual. It's not an oral tradition.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And when did they make that modification to the garand manual? And what did they specify when they asked for grease? After they....................... did what?

What would happen to the big bad m1 garand if you don’t grease it but used oil? Would the boogie man tremble in fear of you just oiled rifle or would he laugh and press on? Don’t know better dig into the FM23-5 manual.
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 2:06:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

And when did they make that modification to the garand manual? And what did they specify when they asked for grease? After they....................... did what?

What would happen to the big bad m1 garand if you don't grease it but used oil? Would the boogie man tremble in fear of you just oiled rifle or would he laugh and press on? Don't know better dig into the FM23-5 manual.
View Quote
Looks like 1940 is the earliest I've seen them require grease....according to the manual....
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 10:48:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Looks like 1940 is the earliest I've seen them require grease....according to the manual....
View Quote
Yeah, and what happened before that? They just went willy nilly and decided to slap grease on it for no good reason? Or was there a reason behind it? I mean as I said, people just read stuff and do it. For no particular reason at all and the people who actually used it are dying. Matter of fact I think less than a million people exist that probably used the M1 Garand in actual battle or during their time in the service. Could there be a reason why they use grease? Grease in itself contains no special property, except for 1 especially for a M1 Garand that makes it ideal for the rifle under certain conditions. Speaking to a old WW2 vet, he told me that he never used grease while in the European theater. He simply used oil to maintain the rifle and rarely maintained it. Did his garand exploded? No, because his rifle was never exposed to the conditions that caused the grease to be considered in the first place. Big hint: it comes from the sky and happens all the time in the jungle.

Back on the topic if the OP is still reading. If you want M1 Garand specific ammo, I found this:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1019732810/winchester-limited-edition-wwii-victory-series-commemorative-ammunition-30-06-springfield-m1-garand-150-grain-full-metal-jacket-flat-base

It's made to WW2 spec and about $1.20 per round. That's pretty cheap for M1 specific ammo from what I seen.
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 11:02:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Back on the topic if the OP is still reading. If you want M1 Garand specific ammo, I found this:

/link removed/

It's made to WW2 spec and about $1.20 per round. That's pretty cheap for M1 specific ammo from what I seen.
View Quote
You need to try a little harder.

https://www.sgammo.com/product/30-06-ammo/500-round-can-30-06-springfield-fmj-150-grain-prvi-partizan-m1-garand-ammo-pp3006
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 5:17:39 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Yeah, and what happened before that? They just went willy nilly and decided to slap grease on it for no good reason? Or was there a reason behind it? I mean as I said, people just read stuff and do it. For no particular reason at all and the people who actually used it are dying. Matter of fact I think less than a million people exist that probably used the M1 Garand in actual battle or during their time in the service. Could there be a reason why they use grease? Grease in itself contains no special property, except for 1 especially for a M1 Garand that makes it ideal for the rifle under certain conditions. Speaking to a old WW2 vet, he told me that he never used grease while in the European theater. He simply used oil to maintain the rifle and rarely maintained it. Did his garand exploded? No, because his rifle was never exposed to the conditions that caused the grease to be considered in the first place. Big hint: it comes from the sky and happens all the time in the jungle.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1019732810/winchester-limited-edition-wwii-victory-series-commemorative-ammunition-30-06-springfield-m1-garand-150-grain-full-metal-jacket-flat-base

View Quote
So in 1940 they said use grease because in 1943 you might have trouble in the jungle?

Or they said use it because it's better than oil on certain parts. I mean if it wasn't intentional why mention it??

PS.. commercial ammo is safe for the garand
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 1:27:42 AM EDT
[#36]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top