Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/5/2018 1:53:26 AM EDT
Did anyone else read the story in the recent American Rifleman about Marlin rifles?  They say in the article that when the machines were moved from the old Marlin plant to the new Remington line, there were NO DETAILED TECHNICAL DRAWINGS to go with them.  The article says that Remington basically had to start from scratch with new drawings and technical details when starting up the line, but now have them in place and are now using fully modernized manufacturing.  IF the article is correct, that explains a lot about the "Remlin" quality problems and hopefully means that current production is good to go.  I know my 2016 Marlin 45-70 and 2017 30-30 both seem to be good to go.

Rob
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 2:48:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Not the first place I've seen this reported. Many like to pile on Remington/Freedom. While there are some legitimate critiques that can be levied, many who go after them are no different than than the parrots stuck on the, "but muh Russia!" war cry.

By most accounts, Marlin was in really bad shape when Remington took them over. Not only were there no technical drawings, but the machinery was aged and not well maintained. Had they (or some other investor) not stepped in, Marlin may very well have become an extinct brand of the past. I'm sure it took a while to get everything sorted out and back on track. But to make it out to be Remington's fault is pretty shortsighted.
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 2:53:15 AM EDT
[#2]
I've said that in nearly every Marlin thread that's come up recently and been largely ignored.
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 1:07:07 PM EDT
[#3]
After reading the article regarding the moving of the machines for Marlin, I was very hesitant to buy anything Marlin or "Remlin".
I already own Marlin lever guns, one in 444 Marlin, and one in 30-30, but of the 1950's and 60's variety.

I went to a local guy who repairs, rebuilds, and has a lot of knowledge about lever guns of all calibers, including the new Remlin's.

After talking with him, I went ahead and purchased an 1895CB, 45-70 with the long, octagon barrel.
The fit and finish is fine, with no gaps, no mars or other defects.
The action cycles smoothly, and loading, unloading is fine.
The only gripes I have with it is the loading gate spring is tight to push down, and the shooter needs to keep the fatty part of the thumb out of the way when loading the magazine.
The second gripe is the "stoopid" safety that they put in it. I don't mess with it and leave it in the fire position.

The trigger is not bad, with little to no creep at all, and is set at about 4 pounds.
I like the availability of having 9 rounds of 45-70 in the magazine.
The recoil is much sharper then my 34" barreled falling block single shot, but that is a given.
Accuracy is just fine for what the weapon is, and here in Idaho, the ranges are under 200 yards where I hunt for Deer and Elk.

I may have been lucky with this rifle, but so far so good.
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 9:35:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I've also read stories claiming when Marlin employees found out they were losing their jobs they damaged the equipment on their way out. No idea if it's true but the stories came from somewhere.
Link Posted: 2/7/2018 11:38:34 AM EDT
[#5]
I just ordered a 336y from Buds.

We shall see.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 2:56:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've said that in nearly every Marlin thread that's come up recently and been largely ignored.
View Quote
Or even actively pooh-pooh'd. I want to believe, but I'm not in a buying kind of position right now. A 336 would be good to have around...
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 3:24:24 AM EDT
[#7]
I don't need a 45-70. But damnit I just worked 35 hours of OT this pay period.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 4:10:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've also read stories claiming when Marlin employees found out they were losing their jobs they damaged the equipment on their way out. No idea if it's true but the stories came from somewhere.
View Quote
At the time I was helping out a buddy who was running a gun store about 8 miles down the road from the Marlin plant.
I believe the workers were told they would have jobs if they relocated but that turned out ti mean they could apply for jobs at little more than minimum wage.

Their last couple of weeks work was crating up the machines ,the guys we talked were pretty bitter . can't believe they did that work with much care
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top