Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/6/2019 1:07:54 PM EDT
I have a P22 phosphor XD4 in a 14. Looking to get an amber filter to improve the eye strain issue but I don't know how well they work over P22s.

Based on a post here on ARFCOM they will cut light transmission, If I understand correctly they are basically high pass filters and given the orange color I'm guessing they have a cutoff wavelength at around 600nm. After seeing a graph on AiB website I wonder if they produce brighter image on a P22 over a P43 because the area pass 600nm is larger with the P22 curve.

Can anyone confirm this?
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 1:43:39 PM EDT
[#1]
You will lose a lot of light, P43 has much more red component in the image than P22 does.
P22 actually has barley any of the lower light spectrum in it, its a rather cold colour.

The amber filters on the market today are carefully tuned in colour to get the most out of P43.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 9:02:47 AM EDT
[#2]
I have 2 ITT autogated NVDs: a PVS-14 with P-43 and a Sentinel with P-22. Amber filters on the P-22 do in fact improve contrast, just like on the P-43...but on the P-22 I give up a lot in overall brightness. I finally decided that the bump in contrast wasn't worth what I have to give up to get it and just took them off.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 5:28:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have 2 ITT autogated NVDs: a PVS-14 with P-43 and a Sentinel with P-22. Amber filters on the P-22 do in fact improve contrast, just like on the P-43...but on the P-22 I give up a lot in overall brightness. I finally decided that the bump in contrast wasn't worth what I have to give up to get it and just took them off.
View Quote
Are you sure it's P-22? Haven't seen P-20 or P-22 phosphors on (most) US made tubes since the Omni 3 era (not autogated).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top