BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 7:16:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Which of these industry professionals make YouTube videos?
View Quote
For an engineer who does UL and CSA testing you sure are sending mixed signals. Is this about facts and information or entertainment?

I’m done here.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 7:26:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 9:07:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
For an engineer who does UL and CSA testing you sure are sending mixed signals. Is this about facts and information or entertainment?

I'm done here.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Which of these industry professionals make YouTube videos?

I'm done here.
Both.  But I'm not doing R&D on cans over here, I'm giving an opinion on a YouTube video.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 9:41:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 11:35:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Have any of you tried using 2 meters, one at the standard location and another set 50 or 100 yards away? It might be interesting to see if there is a difference in how fast the sound level drops over distance.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 12:19:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Have any of you tried using 2 meters, one at the standard location and another set 50 or 100 yards away? It might be interesting to see if there is a difference in how fast the sound level drops over distance.
View Quote
I tried it, but as you need to reset meter after each shot, it is a hassle. Also BFN gets tripped first before report. So there are some issues to overcome to do it right.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 10:51:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 11:45:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Meters aren't very smart, and that N wave gets in the way.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 4:27:14 AM EDT
[#9]
On the testing, standards, variables, Youtube videos

Testing

- I cannot stress this enough, no reasonable and honest manufacturer is "scared" of Youtube reviews with a B&K 2270 etc, they have good reason to be against testing with the wrong equipment.

If a Youtube reviewer wants to do it correct, old B&K 2209s certified can be had for less money than the newer digital meters.

We do this here in Europe also with journalists etc, advising them, to prevent them from using a lot of time for a good comparison test and then not having the correct results-

I am also looking after our competitors, who I know to perform better in some cases and I want that the customer has the right data to base their purchase decision on.

Of course sound is only one factor among physical specs, mounting etc. But the data for it needs to be correct.

Standards

- The current MIL-STD 1474E is pretty much the best one available

Variables

- Yes, there is a lot of variables, but usually any suppressors should be be withing 1-3 dB, if shot on the same meter, gun, same ammo etc regardless where or when it was tested. Meaning a test in the winter and a test in the summer with all the same equipment

Due to the barrel lengths etc, that is why we publish most of our standard hunting rifle suppressor data from 20" barrels = it is only going to be quieter at the shooters ear if shot on a longer one

A good example is in the chart of page 11 here, we included a comparison figure for the SL5i suppressor on .308 Win with 24" barrel also.

http://www.aseutra.fi/assets/files/pdf/Ase%20Utra%20hunting%20and%20sport%20shooting%20products.pdf

Youtube etc

- Not all manufacturers have the time to focus on putting tests online and spend more in R&D, manufacturing etc, to actually get the products to the customers.

Not that it is a bad thing if more honest comparison data is available.

We will most likely do more of this, time allowing.

Best Regards!

Tuukka Jokinen
Sales and Marketing Manager
Ase Utra sound suppressors
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 11:38:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
We have had to do some down range testing to show the military that what they are asking for isn't doable due to the sonic crack.
View Quote
If you wouldn't mind sharing where exactly down range they wanted the readings, I'd be interested. Don't need to know who.
PM me if you don't mind sharing.
RonA
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 1:52:08 PM EDT
[#11]
This thread fluctuates wildly from good info and discussion to what the actual F.

It's like we learned nothing from the early 2000's.
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 1:52:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

If you wouldn't mind sharing where exactly down range they wanted the readings, I'd be interested. Don't need to know who.
PM me if you don't mind sharing.
RonA
View Quote
I can also post some figures from several tests conducted in Finland, once in the office on Monday.

One data point from memory,due to bullet flight noise you are looking at c. 150 dB on a suppressed .308 Win rifle, when measured 1 m from the flight path, 10 meters in front of of the muzzle.

b/r

Tuukka
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 4:05:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
This thread fluctuates wildly from good info and discussion to what the actual F.
View Quote
Couldn't agree more.
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 4:14:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Since I took it off track, I would recommend the original poster to read a short article called, "Measuring Recreational Firearm Noise". The authors are very knowledgeable and do a good job explaining the reason for proper proper equipment for testing. One of the authors was Per Rasmussen from G.R.A.S. Sound and Vibration.  Anyway, just a thought.
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 4:59:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I can also post some figures from several tests conducted in Finland, once in the office on Monday.

One data point from memory,due to bullet flight noise you are looking at c. 150 dB on a suppressed .308 Win rifle, when measured 1 m from the flight path, 10 meters in front of of the muzzle.

b/r

Tuukka
View Quote
I would love to read some bullet flight noise information as well!
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 5:09:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 5:46:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I would love to read some bullet flight noise information as well!
View Quote
Bogh Paulson and PHD have published data already.
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 5:46:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Late to the game - adding in our .02

1. William - cool vid appreciate the review, the SR-5 is a hell of a can.
2. Don't get caught up on numbers, too many inconsistencies and variables.
3. A good meter will run $50K plus the lab to control the testing.
4. Science matters - We have a anechoic chamber in the lab for our custom B&K Pulse system
5. Numbers don't mean sh*t on paper

One last thing before this thread really derails... We post actual repeatable readings we record during testing of the product and post host and ammo used. Our numbers are as accurate and as truthful as humanly possible.
View Quote
That's a bingo
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 1:42:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 2:06:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 3:42:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:Since this is a tech forum, information presented here should be as technically accurate as possible, especially with respect to db measurements where there is a known standard to follow.  
View Quote
This is like a ratchet housewives, bachelorette, baby mama drama subforum. This is NOT a tech forum.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 10:33:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

4. Science matters - We have a anechoic chamber in the lab for our custom B&K Pulse system

One last thing before this thread really derails... We post actual repeatable readings we record during testing of the product and post host and ammo used. Our numbers are as accurate and as truthful as humanly possible.
View Quote
Serious question--if you are going to post numbers, why don't you post at-the-ear numbers?
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 12:16:37 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
Huh? I thought "Numbers don't mean sh*t on paper"
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 3:23:04 AM EDT
[#24]
Phil,

When doing the initial training with the B&K technician, we shot the PULSE against our older 2209.

In weighted figures we were within 1-2 dB and unweighted, the PULSE showed 6-8 dB higher figures.

On the downrange figures mentioned earlier,

As mentioned, from a test conducted in Finland by Dr. Rauno Pääkkönen, C-peak figures:

.308 Win

10 m directly front of the muzzle unsuppressed / suppressed 150 dB

10 m to the front of the muzzle at a 45 degree angle, unsuppressed 150 dB, suppressed 142 dB

.222 Rem

10 m directly front of the muzzle unsuppressed / suppressed 150 dB

10 m to the front of the muzzle at a 45 degree angle, unsuppressed 149 dB, suppressed 140-142 dB
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 10:23:38 AM EDT
[#25]
This thread is incredible.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 10:24:06 AM EDT
[#26]
Are you posting these videos because they use the correct meters?
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 12:32:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 12:33:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
This thread is incredible.
View Quote
It really is, isn't it!

The fact that we have so many industry professionals sharing their knowledge is amazing.  I am grateful for their insight and expertise!

As to the reviews offered online, I appreciate all data points, but I've stopped chasing decibels, I have other priorities when selecting new cans...
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 12:49:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
As to the reviews offered online, I appreciate all data points, but I've stopped chasing decibels, I have other priorities when selecting new cans...
View Quote
Agree. I am at the point where cross-compatibility has taken over. If I can mount your can, on a mount from another manufacturer, the odds of me buying your can are increased. I don't own one can, other than Mist-22, and MP5 SD, that I can't put on at least 2 firearms.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 2:16:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
This is not about chasing dBs. This is about making sure you are not buying a lemon. Sadly lots of MFGs are selling very loud cans. Using a meter that is not accurate will not help you. Especially when it under-reports.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 2:31:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
This is not about chasing dBs. This is about making sure you are not buying a lemon. Sadly lots of MFGs are selling very loud cans. Using a meter that is not accurate will not help you. Especially when it under-reports.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes it is.

Why else would you worry about the meter lol
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 2:49:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Yes it is.

View Quote
Because when customers buy a can thinking it is 124 when it is really 132, they are unhappy. That is not chasing decibels, that is DISHONEST. Chasing dBs can only happen with valid results, which you do not have. It is bad for customer, it is bad for AAC, it is bad for everybody. Cans cost hundreds, and take months to acquire. People who do reviews with bogus meters, and then stand by them, how can you trust anything else they say? They have no credibility.

As I said, people like you do more harm than good.

Let's keep this thread going, the more folks who see it and learn from it the better. Sunlight is the best disinfectant for the feces you peddle.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 3:28:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
That's a valid point, my chasing decibels comment wasn't meant to say I don't care how the can sounds, but rather that it's a less important factor when all the attributes of a silencer are taken into account.

...Back on topic? I appreciate your passion for the silencer community and calling things as you see them.  I would have never known the differences in meters used to measure sound if these types of threads did not exist.  I'm happy to hear those involved in the design, R&D and production of these devices chiming in to educate "the rest of us".
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 3:37:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Because when customers buy a can thinking it is 124 when it is really 132, they are unhappy. That is not chasing decibels, that is DISHONEST. Chasing dBs can only happen with valid results, which you do not have. It is bad for customer, it is bad for AAC, it is bad for everybody. Cans cost hundreds, and take months to acquire. People who do reviews with bogus meters, and then stand by them, how can you trust anything else they say? They have no credibility.

Let's keep this thread going, the more folks who see it and learn from it the better. Sunlight is the best disinfectant for the feces you peddle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes it is.

Harp for 3 pages about the meter being no good and the numbers in the video being no good and then say you aren't chasing dB LOL.

The part in bold is flat out false.  Period.  Nobody who buys a can gives a flying fuck about what a meter says, they care about how the gun sounds when they shoot it with the can on. Not to mention they don't have a meter anyway, so they would never even see a dB number let alone give a shit about it.

Using the word feces instead of shit doesn't make your last sentence any more appropriate for a tech forum.  Not to mention the video in the OP is on the AR15.COM YOUTUBE CHANNEL.  So you're saying this forum is peddling shit.  Might wanna rethink that bold strategy cotton lol.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 3:38:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
...Back on topic? I appreciate your passion for the silencer community and calling things as you see them.  I would have never known the differences in meters used to measure sound if these types of threads did not exist.  I'm happy to hear those involved in the design, R&D and production of these devices chiming in to educate "the rest of us".
View Quote
Things are much better now then say 10 years ago.

A lot of folks got valid meters, got training, and started posting numbers. We had the MILSPEC standard, and that led to an ad-hoc by the ear standard. This really helped keep the industry honest. An honest industry is good for everybody. Gone are days of MFGs making ridiculous claims, well almost gone, some lesser know MFGs are still fudging numbers, but they are quickly called on it.

The knowledge base is very high among consumers now. They are well educated. Most consumers know 124 for 556 is bogus, or 105 is bogus for 22, etc. It is much hard to fool folks, there is now a decade of very public data to look at. But some are still trying....
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 3:41:47 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Harp for 3 pages about the meter being no good and the numbers in the video being no good and then say you aren't chasing dB LOL.

The part in bold is flat out false.  Period.  Nobody who buys a can gives a flying fuck about what a meter says, they care about how the gun sounds when they shoot it with the can on. Not to mention they don't have a meter anyway, so they would never even see a dB number let alone give a shit about it.

Using the word feces instead of shit doesn't make your last sentence any more appropriate for a tech forum.  Not to mention the video in the OP is on the AR15.COM YOUTUBE CHANNEL.  So you're saying this forum is peddling shit.  Might wanna rethink that bold strategy cotton lol.
View Quote
Let the sunshine.

The more you speak, the more you expose how little you know.

This is a tech forum, so why are you posting and defending technically incorrect info, that EVERY SINGLE person who had something to say refuted? Not one person agrees with you that 124 is valid, or you meter is valid.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 3:43:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Let the sunshine.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let the sunshine.

I see you didn't refute a single thing I said.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 3:48:12 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I see you didn't refute a single thing I said.
View Quote
Just about everyone on this thread has refuted everything you said.

Even AAC will not back up your 124dB claim.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 4:08:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Nobody who buys a can gives a flying fuck about what a meter says,
View Quote
If "nobody gives a flying fuck about what a meter says", why did you buy a meter and post the results? Why are you continuing to defend numbers you claim "nobody gives a flying fuck about".

The more you post, the sillier you look.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 4:33:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
If "nobody gives a flying fuck about what a meter says", why did you buy a meter and post the results? Why are you continuing to defend numbers you claim "nobody gives a flying fuck about".

https://emojipedia-us.s3.amazonaws.com/thumbs/240/google/119/sun-with-face_1f31e.png
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nobody who buys a can gives a flying fuck about what a meter says,

https://emojipedia-us.s3.amazonaws.com/thumbs/240/google/119/sun-with-face_1f31e.png
I didn't buy a sound meter.  They're too expensive.  You also cut out an excerpt of my post, which is still 100% correct.  No end users shoot their guns with a can in front of a meter, read the meter, and then decide if they like the can.  That simply doesn't happen, ever.  They just listen and decide if they like it.

That's why every single person I let shoot the MaxFlow from Nex Gen loved it more than any of the other 5 cans I brought.  It meters louder, but they liked the way it sounded better.  By a lot.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 4:39:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Very interesting thread.

Why is the site backing videos with flawed data?  
@stylz

CHRIS
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 4:39:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I didn't buy a sound meter.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
OK, you didn't buy it you used it.

Quoted:
No end users shoot their guns with a can in front of a meter, read the meter, and then decide if they like the can.  That simply doesn't happen, ever.
Then why did you use a meter, post results, and continue to defend results if "nobody gives a flying fuck about what a meter says"?
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 4:49:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Then why did you use a meter, post results, and continue to defend results if "nobody gives a flying fuck about what a meter says"?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
No end users shoot their guns with a can in front of a meter, read the meter, and then decide if they like the can.  That simply doesn't happen, ever.
Oh so you were wrong again.  Ok.

The meter shows a sound reduction, I already admitted that I made a mistake in not including the unsuppressed numbers.  The fact remains that end users judge the performance of a can based on how they feel when they hear it.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 4:54:36 PM EDT
[#44]
Looks like I missed a really good time.

Every time I think about buying a meter, I stop myself. There’s just too many nuances for me to always get it right. And it has to be right all the time or the data is garbage.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 4:56:00 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
The meter shows a sound reduction, I already admitted that I made a mistake in not including the unsuppressed numbers.  The fact remains that end users judge the performance of a can based on how they feel when they hear it.  
View Quote
If it is a "fact" they judge based on "how they feel when they hear it", then why did you use a meter, post results, and continue to defend results if "nobody gives a flying fuck about what a meter says", since that is not hearing it?
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 4:59:14 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Every time I think about buying a meter, I stop myself. There’s just too many nuances for me to always get it right. And it has to be right all the time or the data is garbage.
View Quote
That and apparently "nobody gives a flying fuck about what a meter says". Well everybody I guess except 10mm_ who uses a meter, reports the results and then defends the results, he clearly "gives a fuck".
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 5:00:37 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
That and apparently "nobody gives a flying fuck about what a meter says". Well everybody I guess except 10mm_ who uses a meter, reports the results and then defends the results, he clearly "gives a fuck".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Every time I think about buying a meter, I stop myself. There's just too many nuances for me to always get it right. And it has to be right all the time or the data is garbage.
AAC agreed that numbers on paper don't mean shit
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 5:03:39 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
Good grief... this conversation sounds like something I would have with my 8 year old, who loves to parse everything in whatever way makes him right.

Let me modify the statement above to make it more clear so there's no possibility of confusion or misunderstanding:

"This is not JUST about chasing dBs. This is about making sure you are not buying a lemon, WHICH IS ACCOMPLISHED WITH ACCURATE TESTING WITH A PROPER METER. Sadly lots of MFGs are selling very loud cans. Using a meter that is not accurate will not help you. Especially when it under-reports.  THAT'S WHY IT'S VERY IMPORTANT TO USE A PROPER METER AND TESTING PROTOCOLS SO THAT WHEN DB NUMBERS ARE REPORTED THEY CAN BE TRUSTED."
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 5:06:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
AAC agreed that numbers on paper don't mean shit
View Quote
Yet, in their PAPER catalog they gave out a SHOT2018, page 30 they list the NUMBERS of the SR-5 as 32dB, 133 dB.

Yeah, "numbers on paper don't mean shit", unless they are posting them. Apparently they were referring to your NUMBERS, when they said "don't mean shit", not theirs. Is that bitch slap they put on your face still red?

again, since you keep ducking the question:

Why did you use a meter, post results, and continue to defend results if "nobody gives a flying fuck about what a meter says"?
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 5:08:59 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Every time I think about buying a meter, I stop myself. There's just too many nuances for me to always get it right. And it has to be right all the time or the data is garbage.
View Quote
I'm getting curious about options for meter rentals.  Have you looked into it?  Does anybody know what that might cost?  Seems it wouldn't be too hard for somebody like you to try a little crowdfunding to cover the expense to do some useful testing...
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top