Page / 5
Posted: 2/8/2018 2:04:34 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 2:13:55 PM EDT
[#1]
In to answer questions
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 2:51:41 PM EDT
[#2]
It is not as quiet as he thinks.

The LXT meter is not spec, and can vary as much as 10db from a B&K or LD.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 2:53:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It is not as quiet as he thinks.

The LXT meter is not spec, and can vary as much as 10db from a B&T or LD.
View Quote
That's interesting since I actually heard it, and I own more than 15 cans.

It's quiet.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 2:54:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

It's quiet.
View Quote
Test it side by side with a B&K or LD and report back.

123dB from a 5.56 ROFL.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 2:55:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Test is side by side with a B&T or LD and report back.

123dB from a 5.56 ROFL.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's quiet.
Test is side by side with a B&T or LD and report back.

123dB from a 5.56 ROFL.
You think the sound meter will make it quieter at my ear?

Meter numbers aside, it's a great sounding can.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 3:00:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
You might as well have used a iPhone app to measure the sound.

Its performance is similar to previous AAC 5.56 cans. Nothing groundbreaking here. Folks know how AAC 5.56 cans perform, we have 20 years of experience. The real issue is the 90T mount, and to test that we need a longevity test.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 3:07:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Great vids!

Yeah, I have to agree on the sound meter.  The LXT is not giving you accurate results.  Low 120's with that suppressor is not realistic.  Low to mid 130's is where it's at.  The difference in sound is more the difference from first round pop (upper 130's realistically) or the difference at-ear because of host weapon.  The RDB is actually really nice host for reducing backpressure.

Oh, regarding the Sandman-K video, I left this comment on youtube:

...If I may, when mounting or removing the can, you don't need to loosen or tighten the collar.  Just ensure it's in that start/stop position like you showed (before mounting), slip it on, and turn the main body.   Same for removal, just turn the main body and it'll stop where it needs to and will be ready for mounting the next time too.  In other words, direct manipulation of the collar is not needed during normal install/removal.

Todd Magee
Dead Air Alpha Nerd
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 3:07:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Its performance is similar to previous AAC 5.56 cans. Nothing groundbreaking here. Folks know how AAC 5.56 cans perform, we have 20 years of experience. The real issue is the 90T mount, and to test that we need a longevity test.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unsuppressed that gun metered about 158, AAC claims 34 dB reduction, so that should be about 124.  I got 123.8 and 123.7.   Not sure what there is to ROFL about a can performing exactly like the manufacturer claims.

The LXT does fine for this type of informal testing, the rise time is not that far off of the Mil Spec which is of course, a Mil Spec.  I know people like to claim it's an RNG but that's simply bullshit, it's plenty good enough to measure reduction.

If you want an absolute value get it from a laboratory, not a guy in a field making YouTube videos.  That should be pretty obvious but I know people don't pass up an opportunity to bitch about free information/testing.

I don't remember saying it was groundbreaking,  I remember saying it's a great 5.56 can and sounded amazing.  Which is true.

I have both 90T and 51T and haven't had an issue with either, but I have been told the 51T affects POI much more than the 90T.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 3:10:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Great vids!

Yeah, I have to agree on the sound meter.  The LXT is not giving you accurate results.  Low 120's with that suppressor is not realistic.  Low to mid 130's is where it's at.  The difference in sound is more the difference from first round pop (upper 130's realistically) or the difference at-ear because of host weapon.  The RDB is actually really nice host for reducing backpressure.

Oh, regarding the Sandman-K video, I left this comment on youtube:

...If I may, when mounting or removing the can, you don't need to loosen or tighten the collar.  Just ensure it's in that start/stop position like you showed (before mounting), slip it on, and turn the main body.   Same for removal, just turn the main body and it'll stop where it needs to and will be ready for mounting the next time too.  In other words, direct manipulation of the collar is not needed during normal install/removal.

Todd Magee
Dead Air Alpha Nerd
View Quote
That's great info, I thought you had to loosen it each time to get it off.  If I set the collar at room temp and then shoot the gun, I can't get it to move at all unless I loosen the collar.  Maybe if I let it cool to room temp after shooting it'll come on and off easier?

As I stated above, the LXT is fine for measuring reduction.  158 is kinda low for an unsuppressed AR but if you look at reduction the numbers make sense.  I skimmed the video (I filmed this awhile back) and it looks like I didn't include the unsuppressed numbers, that's an oversight on my part.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 3:15:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Unsuppressed that gun metered about 158, AAC claims 34 dB reduction, so that should be about 124.  I got 123.8 and 123.7.   Not sure what there is to ROFL about a can performing exactly like the manufacturer claims.

The LXT does fine for this type of informal testing, the rise time is not that far off of the Mil Spec which is of course, a Mil Spec.  I know people like to claim it's an RNG but that's simply bullshit, it's plenty good enough to measure reduction.
View Quote
158 for 556 is off about 7-8 dB. As I said, it is off up to 10dB from tests I have seen.

I explained it to you, Mageever explained it to you. Who else do you need? SilentMike? PHD?

The meter/mic does not accurately measure gun shot sound.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 3:17:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
158 for 556 is off about 7-8 dB. As I said, it is off up to 10dB from tests I have seen.

I explained it to you, Mageever explained it to you. Who else do you need? SilentMike? PHD?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It accurately measures reduction, which is what I used it for.

I've explained this twice, who else do you need?
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 3:20:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's more like 4-6 dB off.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 3:21:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

As McConnell says, There is no education in the second kick of a mule.

30 seconds of google could have shown you the LXT is not accurate.

By sticking to the belief the LXT correctly measures gun shots, you have completely discredited yourself.

Out before you get dogpiled.

eta

Quoted:
Quoted:
Now you are just contradicting yourself.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 3:30:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

By sticking to the belief the LXT correctly measures gun shots, you have completely discredited yourself.

eta

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

eta

Quoted:
Quoted:
I did a lot more than 30 seconds of research on the LXT.

You should get out, you aren't reading what I'm saying.   I already stated that the unsuppressed shots were low, that could be due to environmental factors, calibration, placement, etc.  If those are consistent for the unsuppressed and suppresssed shots (which in this case they were) then the reduction will be accurate even if the absolute value is off by a few dB.  Like I said if you want an accurate absolute number you should get it from a lab not a guy in a field making videos.

It's really not complicated for those of us that perform testing with calibrated equipment on a regular basis.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 3:51:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
It's really not complicated for those of us that perform testing with calibrated equipment on a regular basis.
View Quote
lol.

I have been doing it for decades. I have tested or assisted testing for hundreds of sessions involving thousands of cans. You have 15 cans and a Mickey Mouse Meter.

You do not even have enough experience to know when something is obviously wrong. You are a clown with a YouTube account trying to pass yourself off as an SME. You do more harm to the community than good.

I suggest you get Paulson's books, read everything by PHD (articles in addition to posts), and then check out what the Finish guys are doing.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 4:03:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
lol.

I have been doing it for decades. I have tested or assisted testing for hundreds of sessions involving thousands of cans. You have 15 cans and a Mickey Mouse Meter.

You do not even have enough experience to know when something is obviously wrong. You are a clown with a YouTube account trying to pass yourself off as an SME. You do more harm to the community than good.

I suggest you get Paulson's books, read everything by PHD (articles in addition to posts), and then check out what the Finish guys are doing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
lol.

It sounds more like you simply don't like the LXT and refuse to accept any test with it even the ones that have useful information.

You should start being honest and say you just don't like it, not that it is useless.  In fact you even agreed that the SR5 performs, you just wanted to pontificate about your knowledge of sound meters.

I never said I was an SME, although I am a Mechanical Engineer who works in R&D and conducts lab testing in front of UL and CSA on a regular basis.  I'm Six Sigma certified as well.  (that involves statistics just a lil bit)

Also in case you didn't pay attention this video isn't posted on my YouTube account.  Oh and being in a tech forum you should keep personal attacks (name calling) out of your argument.  It  shows you have nothing substantive to say.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 4:16:23 PM EDT
[#17]
10mm,

Numbers are always a sore subject because of so many variables: environment, ammo, host weapon, sound equipment etc. I don't think you are purposefully trying to deceive anybody but the numbers are questionable. There was a thread a while back where bold low 120 claims were made on a 5.56 suppressor. People (including industry professionals) rightfully challenged the test methods and asked for another attempt with a few changes. The test was redone and the numbers were nowhere close to what originally claimed. I haven't heard this can being mentioned since then.

Just food for thought. I appreciate your efforts in making content though.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 4:17:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Oh and being in a tech forum you should keep personal attacks (name calling) out of your argument.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Oh and being in a tech forum you should keep personal attacks (name calling) out of your argument.
Fair enough.

Quoted:
It sounds more like you simply don't like the LXT and refuse to accept any test with it even the ones that have useful information.

You should start being honest and say you just don't like it, not that it is useless.
The meter does not properly measure gunshot sound. How can it be useful if it cannot do that?  I am sure it is great for rock concerts or something. You defend it, but have not tested it to make sure it works right, Have you? As I said, test it side by side with a B&K or LD and see for yourself instead of blindly defending it. Or read any one of several studies where others have done it.

In my tests, there was no linearity to the error. One shot could be off 2dB, another 8dB, etc. The only consistency I saw was it tends to measure low, which is consistent with a mic that is slow.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 4:19:08 PM EDT
[#19]
I knew this was going to be a trainwreck but didn't think it would happen this quickly.
Interested in an SR5 next to an M42k that should tell us everything we need to know
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 4:23:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
10mm,

Numbers are always a sore subject because of so many variables: environment, ammo, host weapon, sound equipment etc. I don't think you are purposefully trying to deceive anybody but the numbers are questionable. There was a thread a while back where bold low 120 claims were made on a 5.56 suppressor. People (including industry professionals) rightfully challenged the test methods and asked for another attempt with a few changes. The test was redone and the numbers were nowhere close to what originally claimed. I haven't heard this can being mentioned since then.

Just food for thought. I appreciate your efforts in making content though.
View Quote
Agree.  I don't think this can will meter an absolute value of 123.7, I think this can DOES have 34dB of reduction.  Again, not including the unsuppressed numbers was an oversight I thought I had them in there.  I did skim the video on mute at work so maybe I said it out loud and didn't show them on the screen.  Either way I can add them to the description for clarification.

I saw the thread you mentioned, I think.  It was the claymore right?
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 4:25:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Fair enough.

The meter does not properly measure gunshot sound. How can it be useful if it cannot do that?  I am sure it is great for rock concerts or something. You defend it, but have not tested it to make sure it works right, Have you? As I said, test it side by side with a B&K or LD and see for yourself instead of blindly defending it. Or read any one of several studies where others have done it.

In my tests, there was no linearity to the error. One shot could be off 2dB, another 8dB, etc. The only consistency I saw was it tends to measure low, which is consistent with a mic that is slow.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fair enough.

Quoted:

You should start being honest and say you just don't like it, not that it is useless.

If the rise time is slow and your sample size is big enough you should see a larger standard deviation and not across the board low values.  Some of them should still land on the peak even if the rise is slow.

The variance of 2 to 8 sounds reasonable for a slow mic, but not consistently low values.  Unless your sample size is small.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 4:25:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Agree.  I don't think this can will meter an absolute value of 123.7, I think this can DOES have 34dB of reduction.  Again, not including the unsuppressed numbers was an oversight I thought I had them in there.  I did skim the video on mute at work so maybe I said it out loud and didn't show them on the screen.  Either way I can add them to the description for clarification.

View Quote
Correct. I think Thunder Beast's Ray even metered a bolt release at 120ish if I recall for reference.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 4:27:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I knew this was going to be a trainwreck but didn't think it would happen this quickly.
Interested in an SR5 next to an M42k that should tell us everything we need to know
View Quote
I wish I had access to an M42k but I don't know if they'll sound much different.  It's probably more the mounting system and the blast baffle erodes less.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 4:27:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Correct. I think Thunder Beast's Ray even metered a bolt release at 120ish if I recall for reference.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah it was interesting to me that the bolt release metered louder on the side opposite the ejection port.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 4:32:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I think this can DOES have 34dB of reduction.
View Quote
But your own measurements (shown in video) do not support that. If unsuppressed is 158 as you stated,

the average for the bullpup was 133 which is 25dB.

the average for all AR shots is 127 which is 31 dB

and if you throw out the bogus shots below 125 the average is 130 which is 28dB.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 4:32:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

You should start being honest and say you just don't like it, not that it is useless.  In fact you even agreed that the SR5 performs, you just wanted to pontificate about your knowledge of sound meters.  

I never said I was an SME, although I am a Mechanical Engineer who works in R&D and conducts lab testing in front of UL and CSA on a regular basis.  I'm Six Sigma certified as well.  (that involves statistics just a lil bit)  

Also in case you didn't pay attention this video isn't posted on my YouTube account.  Oh and being in a tech forum you should keep personal attacks (name calling) out of your argument.  It  shows you have nothing substantive to say.
View Quote

It's not that we don't like the LXT, it's just that it is a meter that does not have the performance specifications to properly measure the phenomena in question not only in bandwidth (rise time) but also sampling rate. If you don't have good data to begin with, then your conclusions are also suspect. FWIW, I also participate in plenty of witnessed testing with CSA and other regulatory bodies but that's neither here nor there.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 4:33:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
But your own measurements (shown in video) do not support that. If unsuppressed is 158 as you stated,

and if you throw out the bogus shots below 125 the average is 130 which is 28dB.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think this can DOES have 34dB of reduction.

LOL just throw shots out of the average for fun.  Nice.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 4:37:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 4:38:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
If the rise time is slow and your sample size is big enough you should see a larger standard deviation and not across the board low values.  Some of them should still land on the peak even if the rise is slow.

The variance of 2 to 8 sounds reasonable for a slow mic, but not consistently low values.  Unless your sample size is small.
View Quote
I could be wrong, but I think the bolded would apply to sample rate, not rise time. A slow rise time could cause results to be skewed in one direction - most likely low. Slow sample rate would mean your meter grabs samples from different parts of the sound pressure curve. The latter could be mitigated somewhat via large sample sizes, the former not so much.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 4:41:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
LOL just throw shots out of the average for fun.  Nice.
View Quote
I did not throw any out. They are all in there. I just provided several ways to look at the data. Even including your <125 shots, 34dB is not there, why claim it? Let the facts speak for themselves.

Why not do 10 shots? Why not show the numbers, and the math? Do you know how many 556 silencers can achieve 34dB?
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 4:45:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Unsuppressed .223 rifle – 165 db
Manufacturer Claim - 32-34db
DB Level - 131-133db

Still more realistic than your 123 claim 9mm/300blk territory
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 4:50:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 4:52:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Unsuppressed .223 rifle  165 db
Manufacturer Claim - 32-34db
DB Level - 131-133db

Still more realistic than your 123 claim 9mm/300blk territory
View Quote
It metered 158 unsuppressed, - 34 would be 124.  I got as low as 123.7

Link Posted: 2/8/2018 4:57:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
LOL

Who is throwing out shots now?

So in addition to myself, two industry experts who work for known silencer companies (DeadAir & ThunderBeast) have told you the meter/mic is no good and you continue to defend it and your numbers.

Honestly, your numbers would be suspect even if you used a proper meter, as you only took 4 shots on the bullpup and 6 on the AR.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 4:58:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
He's pointing out that 165 unsuppressed is typical performance and with the claimed decibel reduction it would put in the low 130s which would be expected for a top performing 5.56 can.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 5:01:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

He's pointing out that 165 unsuppressed is typical performance and with the claimed decibel reduction it would put in the low 130s which would be expected for a top performing 5.56 can.
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 5:02:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Attachment Attached File

So the manufacturer of the 800B says that the difference is not statistically significant.  Hmm
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 5:07:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Let me know when Capitol Armory or Silencer Shop does a video on it.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 5:17:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 5:32:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
This is the point that should be made every time somebody claims numbers on one product from one test session.  When a single product is tested in isolation, especially with a questionable meter, there are too many unknowns to make the meter reading credible on its own.

When you also test a well known competitor (who's performance has already been established by credible methods and sources), on the same weapon with the same meter during the same testing session, the data can be analyzed much better because there is a baseline to compare it to.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 5:41:52 PM EDT
[#41]
I've never bought a can based off video's dubious audio capture or even based on some meter value but for many those numbers carry weight and currency.  I'd like to suggest one or more resident experts here post a sticky in this sub forum where the accepted or disputed details of metering, weighting, environment, ammunition, etc.  can be captured for posterity.  And if LD is mis-representing the utility, capability, or precision of their instrument that would be a good place to start.  Maybe include a list of who uses what meters.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 5:51:02 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 5:58:58 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
They'd be wrong. That is a marketing fluff piece made to sell meters.  Since this is a tech forum, information presented here should be as technically accurate as possible, especially with respect to db measurements where there is a known standard to follow.

I have a standing invitation for any individual, dealer or manufacturer to send me silencers to measure according to MILSTD1474D.
View Quote
You should be doing YT videos.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 6:24:32 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 6:44:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Fantastic idea!  Below is just a quick list I compiled. @Tuukka please correct where needed.

MILSTD-1474D
View Quote
Don't forget sampling rate of the meter which should be better than 160 kHz if you're following 1474D:

There's also the "E" revision of MIL-STD-1474 which calls for 192 kHz sampling:

Link Posted: 2/8/2018 7:10:54 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 7:33:00 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
They'd be wrong. That is a marketing fluff piece made to sell meters.  Since this is a tech forum, information presented here should be as technically accurate as possible, especially with respect to db measurements where there is a known standard to follow.

I have a standing invitation for any individual, dealer or manufacturer to send me silencers to measure according to MILSTD1474D.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/389530/Firearm_Sound_Suppression_-_Larson_Davis-445488.JPG

So the manufacturer of the 800B says that the difference is not statistically significant.  Hmm

ohh ok.

So don't trust the Larson Davis sound meter.

And Don't trust Larson Davis to tell the truth.

But trust the Larson Davis sound meter.

Now it all makes sense lol
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 7:57:17 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 8:05:04 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 8:13:12 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top