Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Posted: 6/14/2021 12:18:09 PM EDT
This may be something that a lot will blow off as one of those "yada yada everybody has their favorite lube" things but I hope it might help someone. I started out using my Imperial Case sizing Wax & Lube which works pretty good but being the ever tinkerer I decided to try this stuff and the effort to sizing 50 BMG cases is reduced a good bit. I'm not sure if this is still available as I've had it several years. It seems to be about the same as Motor Medic or STP. I picked this up at O'Reillys or Wally World. Just one drop on your finger can do 2 or 3 cases. I think it was about $1.97. To anybody who tries it, I hope it works as good for you as it does for me.

Link Posted: 6/14/2021 12:35:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Why anyone would do anything other than Dillon or a homebrew equivalent, I'll never understand.

But that's just me.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 12:50:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Curiosity? LOL.

Steve.........
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 2:22:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 2:34:33 PM EDT
[#4]
That's why I like this stuff, it sticks really good and reduces the sizing effort required for the big 50 cases, the difference can really be felt in the last 3 to 4 inches of the handles movement when sizing those big 50 cases, I use it on my lube pad for all other calibers I load on the single stage press also.

Steve........
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 6:27:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Use what you got.
I've been using hornady one shot for years with my 50's and all other brass for that matter, after running out of dillons and my own home brewed case lube.
I got tired of dealing with the mess the thicker case lubes and one shot doesn't gum up the case and die, causing those dents.
I clean out the inside of the necks with a 1/2" plumbers brush and run them for a half hour in the walnut media beforehand.
I size them in stages and if it's some real nasty out of spec LC brass, I'll anneal them before sizing.
The softer the brass, the less reloads your going to get.
With the generous throat length of the AR50, you won't need to worry about trimming your brass.

SJC
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 9:19:42 PM EDT
[#6]
I mix my own for real cheap.

1-12 ratio
1 part 100% pure liquid lanolin
12 part 99% isopropyl alcohol

I get the lanolin off of Amazon. 99% isopropyl at where ever sells it locally the cheapest.
Warm the lanolin in a pan of water on the stove. Mix with the isopropyl.  The lanolin stays in suspension  and doesn't seperate.
A little goes a long way.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 10:57:08 PM EDT
[#7]
I have made my own bullet lube for years for all my cast bullets but haven't tried case lube. I may have to give it a try it when I run out of this stuff but it's going to last for several more years.

Steve..........
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 11:42:08 PM EDT
[#8]
lol back when I started. I found regular old motor oil rocked, for sizing 50 brass. After sizing, wipe it off with a rag and then tumble to remove what was left. BUT the home brew case lube is now the best, and cleans up easy with no worry of it messing with primers. BUT having said that, the home lube doesn't size as easy and a case lubed up with motor oil.... Even M2 brass sizes like butter. BUT then you have motor oil everywhere....
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 11:25:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Not a bad idea. That would make it way cheaper than Imperial...by far. How is it to work with?  Messy? Odor?  I'd buy a few If you really like it since oil treatment has long overstayed its welcome considering the very light oil viscosity required by today's engines.
Link Posted: 6/19/2021 9:52:20 AM EDT
[#10]
I started with Hornady 1 shot lube and went to Castrol full synthetic 5W30.  Cases size much easier with the Castrol. I give each case a light wipe on the outside, with my fingers and lightly hit the inside case mouth with an Oiled Q tip. Wipe each case with a rag after coming out of the press. Then tumble them for 15 - 20 minutes. I've done over 500 cases this way over the last five years and have had zero issues from using the oil. I do it this way simply because it requires less efort and I've never had a case get stuck. I'm full length sizing, in a Lee 50 BMG press.
Link Posted: 6/23/2021 11:08:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Kalashnikov762

It isn't any more messy or smell more than using any other case lube with your fingers. it is a heck of a lot cheaper and works better than Imperial. Looks like it is available from a lot of places like Wally World, Amazon etc.

Steve........
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top