Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/17/2018 1:28:26 PM EDT
I am thinking about jumping into the reloading world and I was wondering if there is an all in one kit to start reloading 223.  Obviously I still need brass primers powder and projectiles but for just the equipment is there one kit?
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 1:49:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 1:52:11 PM EDT
[#2]
IMHO

The best starter kit is the RCBS Rockchucker Supreme Master Kit
You will need to add a few things for sure!
Die set of your choosing
Appropriate RCBS Shell Holder (they fit the hand priming tool in the kit)
A Dial Caliper
A case trimmer of your choosing Simple as Lee to fancy as a Giraud

You will need a work bench or temporary accommodation like a Black and Decker Work Mate
as you need a solid place to use the press.
Optional tools
The current kit comes with a Nosler Manual is not as good as some other.  You will want other manuals to read and compare.  The Hornady manual is great as it is fairly current and full of good information.
I advocate the use of a Vibratory Polisher for new reloaders.  Keeps things simple.
Loading 223 you will probably encounter crimped primer pockets... so you will need something on simple like a deburring tool ( one is in the kit but it is hard to know how much to use it ) or Swaging Tool like a Press Mounted RCBS Primer Pocket Swager or a bench mounted Dillon Super Swage

There are some other case prep tools like a primer pocket uniformer and flash hole uniformer.

The biggest investment is for you to invest your time in reading the front portion of the reloading manual before do a darn thing.  Do it several times!

There are great sources information out there.  The RCBS web site, Sinclair International, and stay away from You Tube.  Too MANY morons.

Do things right and you will have a smile on your face after your first test of your reloading skills!

Keep things simple! Build upon your success.  If you go off on tangents right away it will confuse you and create detours.

Invest in yourself by reading quality material.  One of the best manuals is the Lyman 50th.  Especially for handgun cartridges.
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 2:06:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
IMHO

You will need to add a few things for sure!
Die set of your choosing
Appropriate RCBS Shell Holder (they fit the hand priming tool in the kit)
A Dial Caliper
A case trimmer of your choosing Simple and Lee to fancy as a Giraud

You will need a work bench or temporary accommodation like a Black and Decker Work Mate
as you need a solid place to use the press.
Optional tools
I advocate the use of a Vibratory Polisher for new reloaders.  Keeps things simple.
Loading 223 you will probably encounter crimped primer pockets... so you will need something on simple like a deburring tool ( one is in the kit but it is hard to know how much to use it ) or Swaging Tool like a Press Mounted RCBS Primer Pocket Swager or a bench mounted Dillon Super Swage

There are some other case prep tools like a primer pocket uniformer and flash hole uniformer.

The biggest investment is for you to invest your time in reading the front portion of the reloading manual before do a darn thing.  Do it several times!

There are great sources information out there.  The RCBS web site, Sinclair International, and stay away from You Tube.  Too MANY morons.

Do things right and you will have a smile on your face after your first test of your reloading skills!

Keep things simple! Build upon your success.  If you go off and tangents right away it will confuse you and create detours.
View Quote
Agree 100% with the RCBS kit. This isn't a 32 year old opinion either (that's when I bought mine) a friend recently bought this kit and it's still the best bang for the buck kit out there. Most if not all of the equipment in this kit if not totally abused will last for at least a couple generations.

Motor
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 2:58:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the info guys appreciate it
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 3:21:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
IMHO

View Quote
I'll add my vote for the RCBS kit.  It costs a little more than kits from the other manufacturers, but you're also buying a lifetime of support from probably the best customer support organization in the reloading industry.

But, as hard as it will be, when it arrives you need to fish out the reloading manual that comes with it and read - no, STUDY - the section on "How to Reload" before you open up anything else in the kit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top