Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/8/2019 10:08:55 AM EDT
Anyone here have one of the rare original all stainless Mossberg 500’s? Not the marinecoat!... Mossberg made some that were all stainless.  My question is this- were the all stainless mossbergs made with metal or aluminum receivers???
Link Posted: 9/8/2019 11:22:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Anyone here have one of the rare original all stainless Mossberg 500’s? Not the marinecoat!... Mossberg made some that were all stainless.  My question is this- were the all stainless mossbergs made with metal or aluminum receivers???
View Quote
Last scuttlebutt is they are around, but they are damn hard to find and becoming harder to find.  I have never seen the full stainless in the wild, but I have seen a couple of them at SHOT a few years ago.
Link Posted: 9/8/2019 12:18:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 11:04:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I’m
Being told that Mossberg never made an all stainless 500. They were all coated just a lighter color then the current marine coat.
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 11:07:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I’m
Being told that Mossberg never made an all stainless 500. They were all coated just a lighter color then the current marine coat.
View Quote
No, I can verify, there were some made, I saw a couple of them and they were not coated, they were actual stainless steel.
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 11:19:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I was told that Mossberg never made a  stainless steel 500 receiver, the barrels yes.
Link Posted: 9/10/2019 12:02:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I was told that Mossberg never made a  stainless steel 500 receiver, the barrels yes.
View Quote
What ever you were told, go with what you believe..no skin off my nose.
Link Posted: 9/10/2019 1:57:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/10/2019 11:04:56 PM EDT
[#8]
I doubt they made a stainless receiver. They wouldn’t have to aluminum doesn’t rust.
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 11:25:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 11:41:40 AM EDT
[#10]
I’ll be doing the same. I don’t have it in my hands yet! But it’s gonna get a high pimp polish and boyd walnut.
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 1:38:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Have you seen the JIC shotguns from Mossberg ? Those are definitely coated.
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 1:43:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/12/2019 2:31:44 PM EDT
[#13]
I just saw one at my local gun store Tombstone tactical,  some one shined it up and it looked like a mirror  way to shiny for me,   they exist..
Link Posted: 9/12/2019 6:38:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I just saw one at my local gun store Tombstone tactical,  some one shined it up and it looked like a mirror  way to shiny for me,   they exist..
View Quote
Just talked to the owner. That was a Winchester stainless marine.
Link Posted: 9/13/2019 11:08:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I doubt they made a stainless receiver. They wouldn’t have to aluminum doesn’t rust.
View Quote
Wouldn't have made sense from an economic standpoint either.  Tooling up to make a stainless receiver would have been expensive and not very logical for such a limited run model.
Link Posted: 9/15/2019 12:36:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/15/2019 1:03:21 PM EDT
[#17]
That’s a Kentucky & Tennessee only site. I could not sign up.
Link Posted: 9/15/2019 1:31:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/15/2019 1:47:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Check your email
Link Posted: 9/15/2019 10:13:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/15/2019 10:15:06 PM EDT
[#21]
For $250!!!!  Your crazy not to have!  Omg
Link Posted: 9/17/2019 8:04:53 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
There's one for sale on my local classifieds at a decent price($250). You have to join the website to see pics which is why I posted them as well.

http://gunownersclub.com/media/img/u/4277237.jpg
I offered him a trade but don't need to spend cash right now though I'm very tempted to.
View Quote
Looks like someone has had trouble keeping the heatshild from moving.
Link Posted: 9/17/2019 3:24:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 9:41:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

If you remove the heatshield to clean under it you can do that very easily. I did it to mine when I first got it. It's the 590 version of the 1911 slide stop scratch.
View Quote
There is supposed to be a plastic stop that attaches to the two mounting screws that prevents it from sliding froward.
Link Posted: 9/27/2019 8:31:20 AM EDT
[#25]
I'd still like a marine coat 590. Just 'cause.
Link Posted: 9/27/2019 8:49:08 AM EDT
[#26]
Hell, I'm still looking for an 80% Mossberg 500. Missed one a couple years ago.
Link Posted: 9/28/2019 7:59:29 AM EDT
[#27]
For under $200, you could get a Maverick on sale at the big box stores and this

Link Posted: 9/28/2019 8:37:41 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
There is supposed to be a plastic stop that attaches to the two mounting screws that prevents it from sliding froward.
https://i.imgur.com/vjRR1MU.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you remove the heatshield to clean under it you can do that very easily. I did it to mine when I first got it. It's the 590 version of the 1911 slide stop scratch.
https://i.imgur.com/vjRR1MU.jpg
Mine does not have that stop! Does anyone have the part number?
Link Posted: 10/4/2019 8:17:21 AM EDT
[#29]
Just polished mine to a high shine!!
Link Posted: 10/4/2019 11:58:54 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 11/23/2019 4:40:11 AM EDT
[#31]
I am pretty sure they do exist, because I happened to stumble on one at my LGS and picked it up. Every single part on it is a shiny stainless steel. Including all the internals, screws etc. I don’t know if the receiver is also stainless steel, but it matches the rest of the gun which is definitely all a high polish stainless, not a grey coating.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 11:08:42 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

They don't list it by itself but they can probably help you out. I try Havlin first on anything Mossberg.
https://www.havlinsales.com/

Then there's always Mossberg. If you get someone who knows what you're talking about they can be quite helpful. But that's hit and miss.
https://www.mossberg.com/contact-us/
View Quote
I bought one from a buddy that has a lot of connections in the gun world last year. He bought it from a very large mossberg dealer that was downsizing his collection.

I called Mossberg last year after i bought it and they told me it was a very limited one run on the solid stainless 500s because it was so hard on the tooling. They ended up selling or giving them as presents to large volume dealers.
He wouldn't confirm or deny this fact, but I was told that only 10 of them were ever made.  I believe I have number one based off of my serial number. Again they would not confirm or deny that but told me in all likeliness it is #1.

That being said, what is the gun worth? I payed $350 because i was going to keep it on my boat but now i don't want to mess it up!
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 11:17:48 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I am pretty sure they do exist, because I happened to stumble on one at my LGS and picked it up. Every single part on it is a shiny stainless steel. Including all the internals, screws etc. I don’t know if the receiver is also stainless steel, but it matches the rest of the gun which is definitely all a high polish stainless, not a grey coating.
View Quote
I am almost positive the receiver is all Stainless also. It is 100% not Aluminum.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 1:31:41 PM EDT
[#34]
If anyone wants to sell theirs please contact me.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 12:40:51 AM EDT
[#35]

I cleaned up your post for you to take the garbled info out-bodybagger
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 2:19:17 PM EDT
[#36]
There’s one on GB now. Going big $$
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 2:52:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Check out what I found on GunBroker.com! https://www.gunbroker.com/item/858925583

May go to $700 for a Mossberg.
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 2:58:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
There’s one on GB now. Going big $$
View Quote
What is the auction number or link, the only one I found was a pistol grip Mariner, which has the coated receiver and is not 100% stainless.

ETA we were typing at the same time.

The link you posted is the same one I found, that is not a full stainless, some of the parts were stainless coated.  Still a nice gun, but not the 100% stainless that has been talked about.
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 5:15:47 PM EDT
[#39]
That barrel is definitely stainless. The receiver sure looks it
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 9:33:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
That barrel is definitely stainless. The receiver sure looks it
View Quote
There was two different versions, if you ever get your hands on one of the full 100% stainless models the difference will be obvious.  The barrel and other parts are stainless, but the receiver was a coated receiver.  The few that Mossberg made were expensive to make because of the wear and tear on the machine equipment, I have actually handled one of them and you can tell the stainless receiver when you pick it up..

ETA:  Looks like it sold for $655.01 which is really not a bad price.
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 9:45:29 PM EDT
[#41]
metal or aluminum receivers
View Quote
The answer to that would be yes.
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 10:26:19 PM EDT
[#42]
Do we have a Serial Number range for the all stainless rare Mossbergs?
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 12:53:29 AM EDT
[#43]
I got one!
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 3:08:01 AM EDT
[#44]

We need pictures!
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 7:31:43 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

We need pictures!
View Quote

Yeah, I'd love to see pics! When I contacted Mossberg they said they never made such a thing.
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 7:50:40 AM EDT
[#46]
I wanted to put a stainless heatshield on it and ordered the Mossberg marine coat one. Not gonna use it because it’s not stainless enough. It’s marine coat. Ordered the complete kit and now I’m stuck with it. Maybe a black or bark blue would look better.
Anyone want a complete Mossberg shield kit let me know!:(
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 5:45:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Yeah, I'd love to see pics! When I contacted Mossberg they said they never made such a thing.
View Quote

I have seen some of them in person at a SHOT show a few years ago, so I know for a fact they did make them.  I have always been told the small production run that they did, ended up going to dealers and distributors to give away as promo's and incentives.

Last time I talked to Mossberg about them, the guy, who was an older guy who had been with them many years told me, it was to difficult to do them because it destroyed their tooling way to quick and they didn't want to spend the money to upgrade to different tool to handle the stainless.

I have been looking for one for quite a while now, it would be one of my grail guns for my collection..
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 7:33:03 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I have seen some of them in person at a SHOT show a few years ago, so I know for a fact they did make them.  I have always been told the small production run that they did, ended up going to dealers and distributors to give away as promo's and incentives.

Last time I talked to Mossberg about them, the guy, who was an older guy who had been with them many years told me, it was to difficult to do them because it destroyed their tooling way to quick and they didn't want to spend the money to upgrade to different tool to handle the stainless.

I have been looking for one for quite a while now, it would be one of my grail guns for my collection..
View Quote

Why would it destroy their tooling? I thought stainless steel was supposed to be softer and therefore easier to machine?
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 8:15:21 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Why would it destroy their tooling? I thought stainless steel was supposed to be softer and therefore easier to machine?
View Quote

Stainless steel will roach a drill bit without proper spindle speed, feed rate, and good lubrication. Makes sense to me that it would be harder on their machines. I’m not a metallurgist, so I cant tell you exactly why, but I can share my experience.
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 11:18:42 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Just talked to the owner. That was a Winchester stainless marine.
View Quote

The Winchester Stainless Marine was high polish nickel plating over stainless steel. Everything including internals was plated except the rifle sights and obviously wood furniture. You can literally use it as a mirror to shave. The ones I have seen were made right at the transition from the 1200 to 1300 series and were not marked as either, they were marked "Stainless Marine" only. I have seen these sell between $700 and $1100 depending on condition. They are not even listed in the gun blue books.

They did make a "police" version as well that was matte nickel plating over stainless steel.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top