BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 6:32:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Clearly the right answer is the SCAR17, it really isn't even close with all the other options except for maybe the AR10 series. Every other battle rifle is pretty much gone. I've owned all of these rifles but the G3 and to be frank, I never shot the AR10's I owned because I didn't see much utility in them for myself. For me personally, the reason I ignore the SCAR16 is the same reason I ignore the AR10. The AR15 is so damn good, the AR10 will always be eclipsed by it and the SCAR17 is so damn good, the SCAR16 will always be eclipsed by it. Interestingly to me, the AR15 is a better 5.56mm rifle than a SCAR16 and a SCAR17 is a better 7.62mm than an AR10. These typically became a "what do I own" or "what is my favorite" thread, they are seldom objective. I think that is where the votes for the M1A, M1 Garand, and G3 comes in. The M1 Garand guys are clearly just choosing their favorites (I have 2x, they are fantastic!), and respectfully the M14 guys are just downright delusional. I have a Springfield M1A and a Poly M14, they are extremely pleasant to shoot, but they are clearly not in contention. I am a huge FAL fan, have one, looking for another, badly want a para SBR, think the world of them but they are clearly not better than the SCAR17. The KAC and small frame love is convincing me I am missing something though. At the end of the day I can't think of one thing the others do better than a SCAR17 at one single thing.
View Quote
I think you’re right in that this thread, and many others like it, become more of a ‘the one I have’ thread more than an objective viewpoint. To be fair, I do think the SCAR is the best battle rifle on the planet, which is why I bought one . I have a pair of M1A’s too, and there’s no way I’d pick them over the SCAR for anything other than fun and variety. Premium AR-10’s like the SR-25’s are definitely in the running, and depending on how one qualifies ‘best’, they may be it. Eventually I’ll get an SR-25 or two as well. I’ve never understood gun guys that have to hate some guns to value others. The more the merrier. :)

Still voting SCAR.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 7:01:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Not to hijack the thread but why no love for the ACR?  Never fired one and haven't read anything about them so I'm just curious why they fell out of grace over the Scar?
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 7:51:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Hands down SCAR 17. I have a all USGI M1a, Imbel FAL built by Mark Graham, LWRC Repr, PTR 91 and a SCAR 17. The SCAR does everything the others do better, in a lighter weight package that is optics ready, and more ergonomic.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 8:56:52 PM EDT
[#4]

Link Posted: 1/19/2019 9:05:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
OG AR10
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 10:42:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Probably either the AR10 or the SCAR.  Everything else is dated, although they all COULD still serve if needed.

I suspect the M14 gets under-rated, and I suspect the FAL is a bit over-rated.  I'd guess that the Rhodesians made the FAL legendary, not the other way around.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 10:43:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Not to hijack the thread but why no love for the ACR?  Never fired one and haven't read anything about them so I'm just curious why they fell out of grace over the Scar?
View Quote
It’s not a battle rifle, and thus isn’t relevant to this comparison.

It is a dumb rifle though. For almost its entire lifespan, it’s been a mess. Tool free barrel length/caliber swaps, in any flavor you want, as long as it’s 5.56/16”. Heavier than competitors. 1/9 barrel. Hiked up MSRP as it went through development. The ACR is one of the biggest bungled releases the firearms industry has seen in years. I own one (enhanced FDE), and it’s dumb.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 11:41:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

seems like most proponents of 762NATO never had to hump it

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/2275/96ECED2A-A2E1-43F4-9187-2D1A6712DA49_png-811949.JPG
View Quote
That wasn’t the question.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 11:43:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Well, I was just clarifying what the other poster was stating.

However, if I was to make his argument my own, I would say take away all the SCAR 17s and tell me if the military is still combat effective. Then, instead take away all the M16/M4s and answer the same question.

Furthermore, I don't think anyone here would honestly argue the M14 was the best battle rifle ever. And many would say it is definitely obsolete. Yet, how many of them were ordered to be rebuilt as EBRs?  So just because something has become obsolete doesn't mean that someone in the military doesn't want it anyway. See also: A-10 and B-52.

Anyway, I would agree with the other guy (lost track of his username now) insofar as the idea of a main battle rifle, or a battle rifle being the main individual weapon, is obsolete. And I don't see how that can be argued, as I can't think of a major military that fields a full rifle caliber as their primary weapon system.
View Quote
In the land of make believe we could give everyone M14’s and they’d still manage to do well enough to win.

Logistics win wars. Effective combined arms also win wars.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 1:58:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Hands down SCAR 17. I have a all USGI M1a, Imbel FAL built by Mark Graham, LWRC Repr, PTR 91 and a SCAR 17. The SCAR does everything the others do better, in a lighter weight package that is optics ready, and more ergonomic.
View Quote
What's interesting is that despite him being big in the FAL and also AK world, he sold off all of his FALs and AKs and replaced them with SCAR 16s and 17s of different flavors.

The SCAR 17 is hands down the best battle rifle being fielded by units around the world today.

What the best DMR is another discussion and would be an interesting discussion.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 11:49:06 AM EDT
[#11]
As much as I would like a SCAR 17 , I'll probably will never be able to afford one.  So, I'll hang on to my $600  FAL (home) built on Imbel parts/ receiver and a 308 AK (Zastava M77).  So, these two are my vote.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 3:43:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Scar for sure
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top