Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/1/2021 12:32:51 PM EDT
How off center can an alignment rod be without causing issues. Obviously you dont want it touching anything, but does it have to be perfectly center?

I picked up one of those O1 rods from McMaster carr. It looked to be pretty straight, and I got the same results using both ends of it.
Link Posted: 10/1/2021 5:21:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Depends on how much clearance you factored, when drilling.

If I drilled a 30cal .368, and the rod was close, I'd just bore a bit bigger.
If you drilled the same 30cal design at, say, .413, and the rod was close, I'd be checking barrel threads and mating surfaces for errors.

Eta: Did you spin the rod, while inserted, to see if point of alignment changed?
Link Posted: 10/2/2021 8:36:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Depends on how much clearance you factored, when drilling.

If I drilled a 30cal .368, and the rod was close, I'd just bore a bit bigger.
If you drilled the same 30cal design at, say, .413, and the rod was close, I'd be checking barrel threads and mating surfaces for errors.

Eta: Did you spin the rod, while inserted, to see if point of alignment changed?
View Quote

Ya I rotated the rod and it pretty much stayed the same. It's for a 308 and drilled a 3/8 hole.

Someone mentioned in another thread about a vendor with messed up threading in their tubes. It looks like I found that vendor

I think I got it worked out and got everything centered.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top