Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/18/2021 7:11:14 PM EDT
Probably know the answer, not the why.

I usually use the 99%+ reagent grade isopropyl, but just found a 99.8% Methyl alcohol (methanol) on my shelf.  CH3OH anhydrous methanol.  

Please let me know if this is a bad idea to use, I expect it is because of either inhalation or absorption hazard or both.  Initial searches weren't so clear to me.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 7:35:28 PM EDT
[#1]
DO NOT USE Methanol.. it poisonous...  extreme fire hazard too, invisible flame

Isopropyl only

Methanol_toxicity
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 7:38:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Do not use Methyl alcohol, that shit will make you sick. What you want is Isopropyl Alcohol and pure lanolin oil to make your own on the cheap. The mixture is 2oz of lanolin to 12-16oz of Isopropyl. It's easier if you heat up the lanolin to about 120 degrees so it mixes easier.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 7:42:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks.  Found a decent price on 32 ounce of isopropyl 99% and 8 oz of lanolin.

I usually mix it and set it in the sun for an hour, that is all it takes on a normal day in AZ to completely emulsify.

I don't know how I ended up with a gallon of methanol.  What to do with it?  I bet it was from a "hazmat disposal" from my work. Looks like it expired in 2007 for tissue reagent type uses or a co-worker ordered the wrong product.  
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 7:45:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I usually mix it and set it in the sun for an hour, that is all it takes on a normal day in AZ to completely emulsify.

I don't know how I ended up with a gallon of methanol.  What to do with it?  I bet it was from a "hazmat disposal" from my work. Looks like it expired in 2007 for tissue reagent type uses or a co-worker ordered the wrong product.  
View Quote

Roll it over the boarder
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:56:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

Put an ad on Craigslist for radio control airplane and car folks.  They'd probably take it since their engines run on it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:58:57 AM EDT
[#6]
OP

You want ISO Heat in the red bottle found at your local auto parts store.  

NOT THE YELLOW BOTTLE.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:23:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
OP

NOT THE YELLOW BOTTLE.
View Quote

But yellow HEET is great in spirit stoves, as it leaves no oily soot!

Chris
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:29:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Amazon and ebay have 99% alcohol and lanolin.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 4:02:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
OP

View Quote

That is what I used works great!
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 5:17:46 PM EDT
[#10]
I just got back from my local Publix and went up to the pharmacy counter to inquire about lanolin and lo and behold, there was a bottle of 99%+ ISO right in front of me, begging to be purchased.

I’m no stranger to buying ISO and even have a bottle of 91% here, but I’ve never seen lab grade before. $4.55 for a pint, but no lanolin there, or at the CVS next door, so a bummer.

Off to EBay.

Chris
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:38:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Think I seen the red bottle at Wally World in a 4 pack for $6.84 ??

Bought a qt of 91% just because they had some to have on hand,, think it was $2.9x ??

Only real difference is price per fluid unit, and with the 70 & 91,, you may have to wait an extra minute or so for the alcohol to flash off...
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:41:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Think I seen the red bottle at Wally World in a 4 pack for $6.84 ??

Bought a qt of 91% just because they had some to have on hand,, think it was $2.9x ??

Only real difference is price per fluid unit, and with the 70 & 91,, you may have to wait an extra minute or so for the alcohol to flash off...
View Quote

I tried 91.  It didn't emulsify as well as the red HEET.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:44:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Put an ad on Craigslist for radio control airplane and car folks.  They'd probably take it since their engines run on it.
View Quote

Pour some in fuel tank prior to smog inspection..   we had one we could make fly, so we fill it up with methanol,, took it over, barely running (carb),, blew clean emission out tail pipe, passed, customer was able to renew plates

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:00:12 AM EDT
[#14]
I use 99% iso from the farm store and RCBS case lube, 30oz iso, 2oz bottle of liquid lube in a 1qt spray bottle. Spray on, let iso evap, then size. Tumble wet or dry to remove. Goes a long way and doesn't have some of the downsides I've read about with lanolin.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:43:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I just got back from my local Publix and went up to the pharmacy counter to inquire about lanolin and lo and behold, there was a bottle of 99%+ ISO right in front of me, begging to be purchased.

I'm no stranger to buying ISO and even have a bottle of 91% here, but I've never seen lab grade before. $4.55 for a pint, but no lanolin there, or at the CVS next door, so a bummer.

Off to EBay.

Chris
View Quote
Organic hippy grocery stores often have lanolin oil in their magic potion aisle.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 2:39:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I’m no stranger to buying ISO and even have a bottle of 91% here, but I’ve never seen lab grade before. $4.55 for a pint, but no lanolin there, or at the CVS next door, so a bummer.

Off to EBay.

Chris
View Quote

I bought this a few weeks ago it was about the same price. $10 for the quart.  It's $13 now but it's been jumping around, it was $15 when I posted it in another thread the other day.  

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0868R7JF6

You can get it cheaper buying bulk, then I've seen packs of 4 1 gallon jugs for even less (per oz) than this.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HHFTCWS

A few other options.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B085KYXW1S

Used to be able to get this stuff at walmart for a couple bucks a bottle, not even it's not that cheap anymore & the wife says it's usually OOS, at least since the start of the plandemic.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SZ1VRZZ
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 1:57:55 AM EDT
[#17]
I feel like I saw that most folks dry tumble to remove this lube but that just ended up sticking media in my brass.

How are folks removing this? So far, really hot water, multiple times, seems to be it for me.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 2:52:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 10:33:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I feel like I saw that most folks dry tumble to remove this lube but that just ended up sticking media in my brass.

How are folks removing this? So far, really hot water, multiple times, seems to be it for me.
View Quote

I dry tumble my loaded ammo in corn cob media.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:44:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

I put a pile of brass on a towel.  I spray it with ammonia free glass cleaner and then give them a rub down.  This works very well.  (I stole this idea from another reloader here)
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:57:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I put a pile of brass on a towel.  I spray it with ammonia free glass cleaner and then give them a rub down.  This works very well.  (I stole this idea from another reloader here)
View Quote

Awesome. I'll give that a try. Does it get inside the case as well?
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 2:01:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
DO NOT USE Methanol.. it poisonous...  extreme fire hazard too, invisible flame

Isopropyl only

Methanol_toxicity
View Quote

<removed> save that for GD. dryflash3
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 2:29:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Red HEET has toluene, benzene and fuel injector cleaner in it. DO NOT USE IT.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:37:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Awesome. I'll give that a try. Does it get inside the case as well?
View Quote
No.  I don't worry about the case necks and have had no issue with a lack of cleaning in that spot.

These are the products I ended up ordering:

Med grade Isopropyl

Lanolin

I also had issues finding a fine atomizing sprayer like Dillon uses.  My Dillon bottle was shriveled up like a prune.

I found these small 4 oz glass bottles that make a nice fine mist like the Dillon.  They come with two extra sprayers.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:54:12 PM EDT
[#25]
ISO HEET is 98.5% isopropyl alcohol with 3 other inert ingredients that are not harmful to you. The alcohol alone is more dangerous than the inert ingredients

Link to the SDS sheet for the stuff.

https://www.imperialsupplies.com/SDS/0055120

No toluene fuel injector cleaner and such in it.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 1:13:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Probably know the answer, not the why.

I usually use the 99%+ reagent grade isopropyl, but just found a 99.8% Methyl alcohol (methanol) on my shelf.  CH3OH anhydrous methanol.  

Please let me know if this is a bad idea to use, I expect it is because of either inhalation or absorption hazard or both.  Initial searches weren't so clear to me.

Thanks.
View Quote

Bad idea, I did it but don’t recommend it.   It can screw your lungs up unlike isopropyl.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top