Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/30/2020 9:27:42 AM EDT
I live on 10 acres. Most neighbors are are 10 to 20 acre lots. Closest neighbor behind me is probably 400 yards. But mostly woods for quite a ways behind my property, so plenty of safe shooting lanes

Have a fox problem. Used to let them walk despite neighbors asking me to kill. They all lose lots of chickens, but I don't have chickens lol. Then they killed one of my daughters rabbits.

I killed 4 last year. 1 with 20 Guage, 3 with 22.

I was going to get a can for rimfire but just dread the process again. Wish I had gotten a rimfire can when I got my 762 can.

Suppressor isn't necessary, but would prefer. To avoid the gov bs in getting a can, was thinking maybe an airgun would work.

I purchased and returned a Benjamin pcp a year or two back. Was very accurate, but just a pita unless I invested in a compressor, etc.

Are any spring guns sufficient to ethically take a fox at 40-50 yards? The fuckers are everywhere this year.

The 22 will work, and am currently using, just wondering about something quieter.

Attachment Attached File

This was last week. Was brushing my teeth before work and looked out bathroom window lol.

Attachment Attached File

This is what I'm using this morning. Dead accurate 10/22 I built using Kidd parts. Definitely works. Probably should just put a can on it.(yes, the deck is a mess. It's about to be replaced)
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 9:47:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 9:50:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
.30 air rifle will do it.

PCP will be more expensive, but its worth it, imo.

FX is the top of the line.

If you are trying to stay on a budget, I'd recommend something like this one
View Quote

22 insufficient I guess? I still have a decent supply of 22 pellets from the Benjamin I had lol.
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 9:50:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Subs or calibris in a 22 bolt gun(or even your 10/22) will be quieter than most fancy pellet guns in my experience. In my experience.
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 9:58:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 10:23:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Subs or calibris in a 22 bolt gun(or even your 10/22) will be quieter than most fancy pellet guns in my experience. In my experience.
View Quote

That's an option. I think I have a bunch of Calibris in the basement. Will try them with a couple 22s. Don't even own a 22 bolt gun anymore.
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 10:24:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

.22's will.

My nickname in the neighborhood is "overkill".
View Quote

Lol
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 10:45:56 AM EDT
[#7]
I keep an old Iver Johnson (Erma) 22 lever gun loaded with CB caps.  It feeds them perfectly and they are quieter than my air rifle, as well as considerably more powerful.

We have foxes but I doubt I'd ever shoot one.  We also have coons, lots of them, and these assholes tear up whatever they feel like and piss off the wife on a regular basis.  So I live trap them and dispatch them with the CB caps.
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 12:42:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I keep an old Iver Johnson (Erma) 22 lever gun loaded with CB caps.  It feeds them perfectly and they are quieter than my air rifle, as well as considerably more powerful.

We have foxes but I doubt I'd ever shoot one.  We also have coons, lots of them, and these assholes tear up whatever they feel like and piss off the wife on a regular basis.  So I live trap them and dispatch them with the CB caps.
View Quote

I was the same way. I let them walk. Until they killed the daughters rabbit.

Plus a few times a year I'll find a kill site of one of the neighbors chickens when mowing.

I am going to try some of my collibris in one of my semi 22s. That may be the ticket.
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 12:45:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Attachment Attached File

This was yesterday. Wife was cleaning the pool and one of the little guys came right out lol.
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 2:55:09 PM EDT
[#10]
I watch an Airgun show each week on cable and I've been impressed by the Umarex Hammer each time they use it on the show, but the Benjamin Maurader is also another good airgun that should have no problems with taking a fox at the range of 40-50yds you've suggested, while keeping price down on either and finding upgrade components easily if wanted.
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 10:18:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I was the same way. I let them walk. Until they killed the daughters rabbit.

Plus a few times a year I'll find a kill site of one of the neighbors chickens when mowing.

I am going to try some of my collibris in one of my semi 22s. That may be the ticket.
View Quote

In my case, I think the foxes are here for two reasons.  One, we are isolated and get very little traffic.  We have a pair of foxes raising kits nearby. And two, we have loads of chipmunks. The little bastards undermined a retaining wall that cost $$ to fix. And they attract copperheads.  I’d rather have foxes.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 3:01:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Just keep in mind when considering air gun rounds vs .22lr that the basic standard .22lr rounds are 30-40 grains moving at 1050-1200 FPS.
Typical air gun rounds in the same calliber are half that in mass and just getting to 1k FPS.
Pushing heavy by air gun standard .22 grain projectiles end up in the 800 FPS range.
So..still not quite equatable in energy delivered to target at range vs .22lr.

I think of you crunch the numbers .25 ends up being a bit closer comparison.
.25 has some pretty decent choices in different types of ammo @ only a cent or 2 more per round for comparable types. Most of the high end rifles in .25 are pushing nearly twice the mass @ a solid 900 FPS.
IMO... .30 cal ammo choices are few and significantly more money. The lack of options bothers me.

Link Posted: 4/13/2021 8:57:55 AM EDT
[#13]
I have a 22 can, but even 22 subsonics will often send them running off to die elsewhere.  I doubt any airgun will do good job, except maybe the real heavyweight PCPs.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 9:10:49 AM EDT
[#14]
I’ve deliberated on air gun vs. .22LR for nuisance animals... raccoons, feral critters fucking with with my cats in screened patio. The only reason I’d go air gun is for legalities. I live in a sub-division where discharging a firearm... even a Colibri round... has legal consequences. Colibri rounds are good for shooting in your basement, birds, and not much else. An air gun would probably be a better choice over a Colibri.

In OP’s case (from last summer?) I would definitely go with .22LR. If I wanted to shoot suppressed, put the .30cal can on the 10/22. The clack of the bolt will be louder than the report.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 6:17:31 PM EDT
[#15]
A .25 PCP @900fps or above will do the trick.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 7:39:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Coyote population goes up, foxes and rabbits go down. Coyotes get scarce, see tons of rabbits and a few foxes. We are in the rabbit and Fox cycle now. Rabbits eat my garden and coyotes eat anything they can catch. Rather have the foxes and rabbits.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 9:24:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I’ve deliberated on air gun vs. .22LR for nuisance animals... raccoons, feral critters fucking with with my cats in screened patio. The only reason I’d go air gun is for legalities. I live in a sub-division where discharging a firearm... even a Colibri round... has legal consequences. Colibri rounds are good for shooting in your basement, birds, and not much else. An air gun would probably be a better choice over a Colibri.

In OP’s case (from last summer?) I would definitely go with .22LR. If I wanted to shoot suppressed, put the .30cal can on the 10/22. The clack of the bolt will be louder than the report.
View Quote

In many localities, airguns are the same as firearms as far as the legality of discharging them. Even shooting a bow into your 3D target in your yard is illegal. It's just that nobody cares, until some busybody makes it a problem.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 4:02:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Let the foxes live, rabbits and chickens can be replaced.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 9:28:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Let the foxes live, rabbits and chickens can be replaced.
View Quote

I’m assuming this is a joke.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 8:24:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Some pretty powerful PCP's out  there and they are not that expensive.  A pump like Yong Heng is about $250.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 8:26:26 AM EDT
[#21]
From your original post you said the neighbors are asking you to kill the foxes.  Why then is a 22 a problem?  They don't expect you to do it bare handed and an occasional firecracker should not be a problem.

Oh, and as of about 2-3 months ago, Daystate is "top of the line."  Think Delta Wolf.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 9:00:30 AM EDT
[#22]
I went ahead and started the process on a 22 can.

I have a Dead Air Mask in jail.

I have a bunch of 22 hosts but no bolt gun. Likely gonna pick up a CZ 457 16.5 inch suppressor ready model.

Killed another fox last week. Was mangy. Shot him running with a 590 A1 and buck shot. It was what I had in the Ranger.

Link Posted: 5/18/2021 12:14:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

In many localities, airguns are the same as firearms as far as the legality of discharging them. Even shooting a bow into your 3D target in your yard is illegal. It's just that nobody cares, until some busybody makes it a problem.
View Quote

Depends on where you live.  Where I live in Virginia it's legal to shoot an air gun in my yard as long as the pellets dont leave my property . So I make sure my back stop is in good condition and I have no problem. ??
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top