Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/8/2018 3:53:49 PM EDT
Just wet tumbled some 9mm & thinking about throwing them in the air fryer on 180-200deg.

Anyone ever try this over the dehumidifier style dryers?
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 4:06:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Use your hair dryer.
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 4:12:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I use a food dehydrator from Walmart, cheap and works great.
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 4:13:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Use your hair dryer.
View Quote
I've heard that but standing there holding it sounds boring & time consuming.

Quoted:
I use a food dehydrator from Walmart, cheap and works great.
View Quote
It worked great! 10min on 180 did the trick.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 4:18:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Considering such devices act like a semi- pressure cooker to keep food from drying out, I'd imagine a dehydrator would work better.
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 4:28:45 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't have much for humidity, so I just lay them out on a towel under a ceiling fan overnight.  It does the trick.  If I am in a hurry, I will hit them with compressed air and still do the fan treatment. I tumble them in a Dillon media separator prior to this.

It is on my list to take some leftover nylon screen, make a frame, and then just let the cases sit in the sun a few hours.  I am in the climate that you can fry an egg on asphalt right now.

It looks like Franklin Arsenal sells a case dryer that is amazingly similar to a meat (jerky) dryer.
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 5:14:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Considering such devices act like a semi- pressure cooker to keep food from drying out, I'd imagine a dehydrator would work better.
View Quote
Actually they make food very crispy. It's essentially the same thing as a dehydrator but set temps are higher for faster cooking & they have greater air circulation. Both of mine range from 180-400deg & food that requires 425 in an oven I usually cook at 380 for half the time.

Did some frozen potato encrusted cod the other night that calls for 400 for 40min, & they usually turn out soggy on the bottom even when using a slotted broiler pan. Ran them in the air fryer at 370 for 20min & they were crispy & not soggy on the bottom.

Sweet potato fries are way crispier in the air fryer. I've done fries, hamburgers, pork chops, steaks, ribs, asparagus & more in mine with great results. Not near as greasy as pan or oven cooking & all have a crispy outer coating.
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 5:25:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I don't have much for humidity, so I just lay them out on a towel under a ceiling fan overnight.  It does the trick.  If I am in a hurry, I will hit them with compressed air and still do the fan treatment. I tumble them in a Dillon media separator prior to this.

It is on my list to take some leftover nylon screen, make a frame, and then just let the cases sit in the sun a few hours.  I am in the climate that you can fry an egg on asphalt right now.

It looks like Franklin Arsenal sells a case dryer that is amazingly similar to a meat (jerky) dryer.
View Quote
It's warm here now, in the mid 80's, & I thought about sun drying them on the deck, but then the light bulb went off about using the air fryer.

That's exactly what the FA dryer is, but not sure if they changed the set temps from a standard dehydrator.

I had a dehydrator that I hadn't used in years that I threw out before I got into reloading. I wanted to keep it but the wifey said "we haven't used it in over a decade, when are we ever going to use it? Just get rid of it."

Should have listened to my inner voice saying one day I'll use it. Oh well.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 2:35:34 PM EDT
[#8]
In the winter I set them on a radiator space heater in a big plastic macaroni strainer, shake once in a while. After the towel shake gets most of the water out.

Summer time I throw em in an old towel also, lay it on table, throw cases on towel, grab both ends of the towel and roll the cases back and forth till most of the water runs out. A big towel will hold hundreds of cases if you grab both ends and make like a small hammock shape.

Set oven on lowest setting 170 degrees, throw em on cookie sheet, shake them around a time er 2 little over an hour they are ready.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 3:41:15 PM EDT
[#9]
I lay mine out on the picnic table for an hour, usually 1:00 to 2:00 PM.  Too hot to touch after an hour.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 4:26:49 PM EDT
[#10]
A plain cheap toaster or convection oven from a discount store would work just as well. Just set it about as low as it will go.

I would not dry brass in an oven used for food.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 8:29:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
A plain cheap toaster or convection oven from a discount store would work just as well. Just set it about as low as it will go.

I would not dry brass in an oven used for food.
View Quote
I have claimed it as my own.

We’ll get another one.
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 1:11:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Just wet tumbled some 9mm & thinking about throwing them in the air fryer on 180-200deg.

Anyone ever try this over the dehumidifier style dryers?
View Quote
Never done it.  I just air dry my wet brass on a towel under a ceiling fan.  But if you have an air fryer and want to give it a try, then there's no reason it shouldn't work and if it turns out to be convenient, you just saved having to buy another piece of equipment.

By the way, the 200 degree temperature will not harm the brass.
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 5:58:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Pizza oven.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top