Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/9/2018 9:05:19 PM EDT
No experience in the air gun game

My cousin loves to shoot his air rifles and sent me this link

I already have suppressed .22’s

Should I fo? I have no idea if this thing is any good

https://www.yugster.com/daily-deal/80959-gamo-whisper-fusion-elite-177-caliber-air-rifle-with-3-9x40mm-scope

Cross posted in GD for more answers
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 9:16:57 PM EDT
[#1]
First, read through Bladeswitcher's 10 million words tacked thread at the top of this forum.  Once you do that, you will have a much better idea on why I'd advise against it.
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 9:48:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Air rifles are a rabbit hole.  If you get hooked on them, they are more addictive than powder burners by far.

The cheapest one I have sells for about $570 and the most expensive is over 1K.  They tend to become violently accurate at those prices leaving you wanting for more.  I will pit them against a 22 powder burner up to 40 yards any day.

They are also becoming more and more powerful.  That 1300 foot per second is B.S. in that it is calculated using super light pellets that are useless.  A more realistic value is 850 FPS with good pellets.

They are now made in 22, 25, 30, 357, 45 and 50 cal. and in some states, legal for hunting deer and larger animals.

Buy it and keep in mind what I said.  If you get hooked, there are a lot of internet support groups that will guide you through your addiction.  They will make it worse.
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 11:42:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Anybody knocking air rifles has no clue what they're capable of not to mention, would piss on many powder burners in accuracy.

This coming from a Anschutz whore.

Youtube "Ted's Holdover" and see for yourself.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 4:53:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Picked that same one up at Walmart in the 22 version on clearance for $54. Also picked up a bunch of other Gamo's and Crosman's on clearance but have yet to try any out because I am having too much fun with my German break barrels that are scary accurate Probably going to sell them off to fund my first PCP air rifle, another darker addiction !!!
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 4:24:10 PM EDT
[#5]
You will find in the world of airguns there is a great deal of snob, and snob-ish attitude to some products.

Anything made in europe is good....but not spain for starters.

In a nutshell anything that says it is going to shoot over 1000fps and is a spring gun is generally called a magnum springer and these guns are the single most difficult thing to shoot well.  And this is why many that have never touched an air rifle, grab something with the biggest number they can find at walmart shoulder it like their daddies shot gun and quickly call it junk when THEY can't hit anything with said gun.  These people are idiots.

Gamo makes a great product, and IIRC all of them are made in europe.

If you go into this world go in with eyes open and do not be jaded by idiots that know nothing about what they talk about.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top