Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/15/2024 2:55:54 PM EDT
Situation: I've got random pieces and parts to build a nighttime plinker that will occasionally be used in daytime.
15-22 SBR. PVS14 with j-arm rail mount. DBAL. Surefire x300. Streamlight IR torch with rail mount. ACOG 2x. Crappy Aimpoint knockoff.

Sure, I could helmet mount the -14 and aim with the DBAL, leaving the ACOG zeroed / mounted for day.

But I prefer to use the -14 like a reticle-less 1x scope and shoulder the system, aiming with the DBAL. But I'd like some magnification.
But putting the -14 behind or in front of the ACOG results in blurry / bad light transmission. (And if I want to ever use the gun in daylight, if the ACOG is in front, it then has to be moved.)

Would a 3x magnifier on the -14 be clearer than trying to use the ACOG? Swing away mount for some piece of this chain? Everything kind of feels like a soup sandwich approach here so far. What's the best way to get day and night without having to remove and reinstall things?
VP
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 3:37:11 PM EDT
[#1]
sounds like the acog is your weak link?  you could get like an aimpoint m4 and use the 14 as a clip behind it and trade for the magnifier during the day?  the 14 and the dbal for night and the acog during the day is what I would be happy with.  you have limited range with the 22 anyway
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 3:40:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: French1966] [#2]
If you want this 22lr to work as a night training rifle, I recommend scrapping the idea of weapon mounting your pvs14. It’s not recommended to ever run a pvs14 weapon mounted on a 5.56 rifle due to possible recoil damage, and also due to modern accepted practices with passive aiming. Magnification and PVS14s don’t exactly mix well, although somewhat doable in some situations. Just not reliable/simple compared to passive aiming with a appropriate height NV mount.

Avoid the “soup sandwich” by keeping an open mind with helmet mounting. There’s a reason why weapon mounting PVS14s is an essentially dead concept.

If you want to do some small game hunting then you can get away with weapon mounting on a 22lr, again though, better solutions exist.

My personal 22lr Night training upper, which mirrors what I would be using in terms of a 5.56 upper:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 5:17:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By French1966:
If you want this 22lr to work as a night training rifle

If you want to do some small game hunting then you can get away with weapon mounting on a 22lr, again though, better solutions exist
View Quote
Nope, not a training carbine. Straight up plinker, close range varmints, etc.

Thats been comfortable to use the -14 as a rail mounted optic with laser. That's fine other than I'd like some magnification and possibly ability to switch to daylight sight.

You're probably right about "better solutions" - probably should just get a clip on in front of the 2X ACOG.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 8:16:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CTM1] [#4]
As someone who has put a PVS-14 on various 22 rifles, 300BO with subs and AR's in 5.56 over the years I never killed a tube, not saying it cannot happen but it has not.

A 14 by itself will not work as a clip-on so just close the door on that. There is a device that allows for it but it just complicates it and would have to be removed to use your day optic anyway.

Trust me sometimes we try to cobble stuff together to do everything and it just does not work.

Keep in my mind when you add a 14 behind any day optic you will lose resolution given you are looking through additional layers of glass and the quality of the glass does play a role. The better the glass the better the light transmission and clarity.

Nothing wrong with attaching a PVS-14 3x magnifier onto your 14 and running that as a stand alone sighting device to use in conjunction with your IR laser. This necessitates that you remove your day optic but it depends on what day optic you use.

FYI if are using a RD it needs to be a NV compatible RD which means it needs to have NV settings. The Aimpoint T-2 or EoTech EXPS3-0 are solid choices and I have used both. Overall I preferred the EoTech but there were times that the I preferred simple dot of the T-2.  Keep in mind that with either you run the risk of burning the reticle into the 14 if you leave them on. Someone times it can be fixed, sometimes not. You could use your "crappy AP knockoff" with the 14 with 3x 14 magnifier behind it and just not turn on your RD.

There are various FTS (Flip To The Side Mounts) for the PVS14 that allow it to be swung out of the way when you just want to run the RD.

One of the ways I ran a 14 behind traditional day optics was via a monoloc. The monoloc attaches to the back of a traditional day scope like a LPVO (low powered variable optic) via built in clamps with a rubber mount sized for your day optics rear diameter. New monoloc's are not cheap and used ones rarely come up for sale as they fell out of favor but I can assure they work well.

Personally I think your best bet is to get a AP-T2 and pick up 3x magnifier for the PVS1-4 and a FTS mount for the 14 and flip in and out as needed.

Monoloc
" />
Link Posted: 2/16/2024 10:54:27 PM EDT
[#5]
On my 22, I use a non-magnified RDS and a TNVC TOR MINI IR laser and M600V IR light.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 7:15:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By DirtyHandsRob:
On my 22, I use a non-magnified RDS and a TNVC TOR MINI IR laser and M600V IR light.
View Quote
+1 for the TOR Mini being a good enough solution on a .22lr
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 6:57:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By CTM1:
As someone who has put a PVS-14 on various 22 rifles, 300BO with subs and AR's in 5.56 over the years I never killed a tube, not saying it cannot happen but it has not.

A 14 by itself will not work as a clip-on so just close the door on that. There is a device that allows for it but it just complicates it and would have to be removed to use your day optic anyway.

Trust me sometimes we try to cobble stuff together to do everything and it just does not work.

Keep in my mind when you add a 14 behind any day optic you will lose resolution given you are looking through additional layers of glass and the quality of the glass does play a role. The better the glass the better the light transmission and clarity.

Nothing wrong with attaching a PVS-14 3x magnifier onto your 14 and running that as a stand alone sighting device to use in conjunction with your IR laser. This necessitates that you remove your day optic but it depends on what day optic you use.

FYI if are using a RD it needs to be a NV compatible RD which means it needs to have NV settings. The Aimpoint T-2 or EoTech EXPS3-0 are solid choices and I have used both. Overall I preferred the EoTech but there were times that the I preferred simple dot of the T-2.  Keep in mind that with either you run the risk of burning the reticle into the 14 if you leave them on. Someone times it can be fixed, sometimes not. You could use your "crappy AP knockoff" with the 14 with 3x 14 magnifier behind it and just not turn on your RD.

There are various FTS (Flip To The Side Mounts) for the PVS14 that allow it to be swung out of the way when you just want to run the RD.

One of the ways I ran a 14 behind traditional day optics was via a monoloc. The monoloc attaches to the back of a traditional day scope like a LPVO (low powered variable optic) via built in clamps with a rubber mount sized for your day optics rear diameter. New monoloc's are not cheap and used ones rarely come up for sale as they fell out of favor but I can assure they work well.

Personally I think your best bet is to get a AP-T2 and pick up 3x magnifier for the PVS1-4 and a FTS mount for the 14 and flip in and out as needed.

Monoloc
https://i.postimg.cc/J0LT36Xf/Monoloc.jpg" target="_blank">https://i.postimg.cc/J0LT36Xf/Monoloc.jpg
View Quote

Glad you touched on the monoloc, I have one in my basement I’ve never used because there isn’t much information available on them.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 9:50:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Terrato:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Terrato:
Originally Posted By DirtyHandsRob:

+2 for a TOR-MINI on a short barreled AR22.

I wish the buttons would allow press+hold for momentary on/off and double tap or quick tap/release for permanent on/off, but it's just a training issue to get it burned into your brain. This also isn't a go to war IR laser, so taking a half a second to get it on might only cost you a raccoon.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 4:26:50 PM EDT
[#9]
I used to use a rifle mounted "PVS14" (MUM) with an eotech. Worked well enough, although it was noticeably easier to use when paired with IR illumination. Might consider swapping to an EOTech, although it'd probably be cheaper to just go TOR!
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 7:03:01 PM EDT
[#10]

That's how I use mine: just run the PVS-14 like it was a big, dumb, dotless-dot-sight.
Use the IR illum and laser from the DBAL to aim.
Surefire white light for inspecting varmint kills and for walking around when NODs are turned off.
(DA Mask and Strike angled forgrip/handstop to keep me from shooting my fingers or ruining eardrums.)

I would like magnification though, probably clearest thing is to get a 3x to screw onto the PVS14. Flip to side magnifiers + a dot sight and it's giving the "too many lenses in the light transmission chain" mushy picture.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top