Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/23/2023 8:07:54 PM EDT
Just curious, if you register a pistol brace gun as a SBR under this current amnesty,    Once approved can you toss the pistol brace and attach a proper collapsible stock?  

Thanks for any information or direction to site clarifying.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 8:15:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Correct. Once you receive your stamp you can put a regular stock on it.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 8:35:38 PM EDT
[#2]
I would hold on to your brace somewhere once you swap it out for a stock after your approved form 1 comes back.  Nobody knows what the ATF may do with registered braces pistols if the rule should be overturned at some point.  

Some think the ATF will void the form 1s for amnesty registrations, and some have hypothesized they may allow you to keep your stocks with the current form 1.   I am keeping mine in case I need to swap them back someday.  At least for a year or so.  They aren’t worth anything right now anyway, so I am not going to sell them.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 8:44:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I kind of like my brace and plan to leave it on.

And it will make the fudds at the range blow a gasket thinking I am shooting an illegal pistol.

Link Posted: 5/23/2023 8:46:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would hold on to your brace somewhere once you swap it out for a stock after your approved form 1 comes back.  Nobody knows what the ATF may do with registered braces pistols if the rule should be overturned at some point.  

Some think the ATF will void the form 1s for amnesty registrations, and some have hypothesized they may allow you to keep your stocks with the current form 1.   I am keeping mine in case I need to swap them back someday.  At least for a year or so.  They aren’t worth anything right now anyway, so I am not going to sell them.
View Quote

This is where I’m at. It’s all FUBAR.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 9:16:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not a stamp unless you paid. It's just "approval" otherwise
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 9:32:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correct. You do not receive a stamp.  You receive an email with a PDF of your approved Form 1.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 9:40:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Correct. You do not receive a stamp.  You receive an email with a PDF of your approved Form 1.
View Quote

…and you don’t have to wait for approval. Proof of Submission = slap the stock on there.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 9:42:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

no tax paid, no stamp. only registration and a thanks, with caveat, returned.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 10:17:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

and you don't have to wait for approval. Proof of Submission = slap the stock on there.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

and you don't have to wait for approval. Proof of Submission = slap the stock on there.

That is incorrect.  According to ATF's FAQ  "The SBR is not "registered" until an approved Form 1 is received from NFA. The brace cannot be substituted/replaced until that time."

ETA: if link doesn't work see #12 on full FAQ page here .
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 10:29:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
That is incorrect.  According to ATF's FAQ  "The SBR is not "registered" until an approved Form 1 is received from NFA. The brace cannot be substituted/replaced until that time."
View Quote
Which is pretty funny because ATF is stating they are already SBR's and braces are equivalent to stocks.

Realistically, you can walk around for years using unregistered SBR's and no one pays attention.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 10:40:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Which is pretty funny because ATF is stating they are already SBR's and braces are equivalent to stocks.

Realistically, you can walk around for years using unregistered SBR's and no one pays attention.
View Quote

I felt the same way. They have declared them stocks and the guns unregistered SBRs so why do they care if it gets replaced with another stock before the approval comes in?
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 12:39:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

ETA: if link doesn't work see #12 on full FAQ page here .
View Quote

Interesting… I haven’t kept up with the ever changing rules on this- when it dropped, they said that proof of submitting the ‘free’ form 1 equaled compliance and you could add a stock right away without waiting for final approval.

I wonder how many people have full blown SBR’s without an approved form 1 now…
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 2:39:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

And it will make the fudds at the range blow a gasket thinking I am shooting an illegal pistol.

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 2:43:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

This.  I registered my four braced pistols and I may or may not change out 1 of the braces for a stock.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 7:53:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 10:19:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Just curious, if you register a pistol brace gun as a SBR under this current amnesty,    Once approved can you toss the pistol brace and attach a proper collapsible stock?  

Thanks for any information or direction to site clarifying.
View Quote
As others have mentioned, you need an actual approval before you add a stock.  (wait, I thought a brace was considered a stock now - silly ATF)

But remember, and I think most people forget this very important fact.  ***All NFA RULES APPLY.  Please read up on the differences between Title I and Title II firearms. It's not just a piece of paper.  
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 8:33:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Don't toss it. Its a conditional approval form  that they can withdraw anytime they want.  In the extremely unlikely event that they get slapped for this, they can say oops you are right, now if you want it to be an SBR you owe us $200 or put a brace back on it. But its still in their records
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top