Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 10:25:03 AM EDT
[#1]
I've been using a Dillon tumbler for 20 years now.
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 12:16:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Got a 550 2 years ago wish I would have done it sooner.
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 10:58:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/22/2018 5:45:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Ended up picking up a tumbler from harbor freight for $40. Started cleaning some 223 with crushed walnut and nu finsh. Some black tarnish on the cases that didn't come off after two hours but otherwise they feel nice and smooth.

Also an update on the press stuff
I missed the sale at cabelas for the rcbs rock chucker kit
BUT, found it at Natchez for $249.. but had to pay shipping

So for $330 shipped, I got the kit, 223 shell holder, crimp removal tool,  press cover and powder trickler.
So with the rcbs rebate I'll be in it for $230. Plus I have some rewards on my credit card to redeem so after that it should only cost about $150. Not a bad deal for what seems like a quality kit.
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 12:36:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Update:

FedEx delivered my RCBS Rock chucker supreme reloading kit along with rcbs shell holder, crimp remover, powder trickled and rcbs press cover that I ordered from Natchez.

Thought the shipping was a little pricey but after pulling the press out of the box... holy cow that's a hunk of metal!
Even the powder measure has some weight to it. Definitely glad I spent the extra money now on the rcbs kit versus getting the Lee challenger kit and upgrading stuff later on

Just need to get some dies and a case trimmer and I'll be ready to start prepping brass!
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 9:41:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Update:

FedEx delivered my RCBS Rock chucker supreme reloading kit along with rcbs shell holder, crimp remover, powder trickled and rcbs press cover that I ordered from Natchez.

Thought the shipping was a little pricey but after pulling the press out of the box... holy cow that's a hunk of metal!
Even the powder measure has some weight to it. Definitely glad I spent the extra money now on the rcbs kit versus getting the Lee challenger kit and upgrading stuff later on

Just need to get some dies and a case trimmer and I'll be ready to start prepping brass!
View Quote
The Lee trim die looks interesting.  I'm partial to Hornady and RCBS. But I have not played with Redding and Foster I couldn't get any more accuracy from than my Hornady set. So when a friend needed dies he got a good deal.
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 11:50:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Trimming isn't a whole lot of fun, spend the $ and get something you can chuck in a drill at least.
View Quote
<-----  If you plan to load rifle in any serious volume   http://www.giraudtool.com/Tri%20Way%20Trimmer.htm

The Giraud trims and chamfers in one step.  Huge time saver.
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 2:21:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The Lee trim die looks interesting.  I'm partial to Hornady and RCBS. But I have not played with Redding and Foster I couldn't get any more accuracy from than my Hornady set. So when a friend needed dies he got a good deal.
View Quote
Looking at ordering my dies and a trimmer right now from Brownell's. Also thinking of ordering a berrys tumbler as I am going to take the harbor freight one back as it pretty much just vibrates as doesn't tumble for crap. Don't get me wrong it has cleaned the brass some but took way longer than expected.

Thinking of giving the Lee quick trim (press mounted style) a try. I figured for $20 what the heck, it will atleast get me started on trimming brass for 223 training ammo until I decide to venture into precision rounds and upgrade  to a rcbs/Lyman/Forster lathe style
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 8:51:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Looking at ordering my dies and a trimmer right now from Brownell's. Also thinking of ordering a berrys tumbler as I am going to take the harbor freight one back as it pretty much just vibrates as doesn't tumble for crap. Don't get me wrong it has cleaned the brass some but took way longer than expected.

Thinking of giving the Lee quick trim (press mounted style) a try. I figured for $20 what the heck, it will atleast get me started on trimming brass for 223 training ammo until I decide to venture into precision rounds and upgrade  to a rcbs/Lyman/Forster lathe style
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I use the Lock -N-Load sonic cleaner and a Thumblr tumblr that's almost 30 years old. I like the cordless drill concept of the Lee and the fact it trims chamfer and debures. And you can incorporate into a progressive press later date.
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 4:09:19 PM EDT
[#10]
I'd probably start with pistol reloading first, read at least two manuals... and maybe hook up with someone who already reloads.
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 5:36:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'd probably start with pistol reloading first, read at least two manuals... and maybe hook up with someone who already reloads.
View Quote
How good is the Nosler manual that comes with the rcbs kits? Any other ones you'd recommend? I've heard the Lyman and Speer ones are pretty good.
I've only found one person I know that reloads, sounds like he would be willing to help if I have any questions

Just ordered a berrys tumbler, Lee 22 dies and Lee trimmer. Probably won't start getting into loading rounds until may. Just collecting equipment and brass to start prepping for now
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 9:51:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 9:56:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Ended up picking up a tumbler from harbor freight for $40. Started cleaning some 223 with crushed walnut and nu finsh. Some black tarnish on the cases that didn't come off after two hours but otherwise they feel nice and smooth.

Also an update on the press stuff
I missed the sale at cabelas for the rcbs rock chucker kit
BUT, found it at Natchez for $249.. but had to pay shipping

So for $330 shipped, I got the kit, 223 shell holder, crimp removal tool,  press cover and powder trickler.
So with the rcbs rebate I'll be in it for $230. Plus I have some rewards on my credit card to redeem so after that it should only cost about $150. Not a bad deal for what seems like a quality kit.
View Quote
Wait until you try wet tumbling.  Game changer.
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 10:23:46 AM EDT
[#14]
I just started reloading.  I jumped in head first.  I spent $700 on a used package from Armslist.  I got a Hornady Lock n Load AP progressive press, a Lee single stage press, about 4000 9mm bullets, 500 45 bullets, about 2000 small pistol primers, another 1-2k rifle/large pistol primers, 9mm brass, 45 brass, 5lbs of powder, multiple die sets, powder throws, digital scale, etc.  Basically everything.0

The lock n load is awesome.  I finished setting it up last night and loaded my first live rounds.  Its so easy.  You can use it with just one case at a time just like a so gle stage if you want.  Thats what I did to get a feel for it.  It leaves so much room to grow.

You could spend $200-300 on cheaper stuff, but I recommend spending a good chunk of change on a used reloading package.  There are lots of people that sell all their stuff together for a good price in armslist.
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 10:44:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I just started reloading.  I jumped in head first.  I spent $700 on a used package from Armslist.  I got a Hornady Lock n Load AP progressive press, a Lee single stage press, about 4000 9mm bullets, 500 45 bullets, about 2000 small pistol primers, another 1-2k rifle/large pistol primers, 9mm brass, 45 brass, 5lbs of powder, multiple die sets, powder throws, digital scale, etc.  Basically everything.

The lock n load is awesome.  I finished setting it up and last night and loaded my first live rounds.  Its so easy.  You can use it with just one case at a time just like a so gle stage if you want.  Thats what I did to get a feel for it.  It leaves so much room to grow.

You could spend $200-300 on cheaper stuff, but I recommend spending a good chunk of change on a used reloading package.  There are lots of people get sell all their stuff together for a good price in armslist.
View Quote
Smoking deal!
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 10:53:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
For just small batches, the RCBS Rock chucker, for volumes get a progressive such as the Dillon 550 variations.  As for Lee products, I use lots of their small accessories but avoid their dies and the Lee Pro 1000.
View Quote
THIS!

I own a Rockchucker, Dillon Square Deal, and a 550.

Dillon Dies are worth the money if being set up on the 550.

For small batches on the Rockchucker, I'd get RCBS.

I really like the Lee Universal Decapping Dies. (Especially the price.)

I size everything on the Rockchucker, so I can take a look at the cases
before they go onto next step.
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 1:58:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Check your IM's. Glowing letter/mail symbol in the right upper corner of this page.
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 2:16:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

100% agree, just wanted to add:

A scale is an investment and should be treated as such.  No matter what "kit" you buy,  expect to spend $100+ on a scale.

If considering anything progessive: Buy once, cry once.  Buy Dillon

I tried to go progressive on the cheap,  Ive owned one of every press,  and currently a Dillon XL650, 1050 and Forster COAX are what occupy my bench.  Learn from my(and my Wallet's) mistakes.

ETA: I really like Lyman's Stuff, and here is a no brainer killer deal over at Graf's  Lyman kit CHEAP
View Quote
MY thoughts on a SCALE.

I'd buy a Dillon Mechanical Beam Scale.

Truly a "Lifetime of Use", vs. "Electronic".

I've gone thru two electronic scales over the last five years..

Just stopped working.

No battery leakage, not "shock"...

Just my 2 cents worth.
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 5:01:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The Speer manual is ok. Lists only Speer bullets. No cast loads.

The Lyman manual is much better, it has cast and jacketed loads and all brands of bullets.

Go to your HTF, home town forum and ask for a mentor.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Hometown/Ohio/12/
View Quote
I'd agree that they Lyman is probably the best also, Hornady would probably be the next one I'd recommend, but like others it's bullet specific.  I've got them all, and have found each to offer some value that the others don't, but overall the Lyman would/should be your first pick, outside of that... more is always better.
Link Posted: 4/1/2018 12:35:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
MY thoughts on a SCALE.

Just stopped working.

Just my 2 cents worth.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

100% agree, just wanted to add:

A scale is an investment and should be treated as such.  No matter what "kit" you buy,  expect to spend $100+ on a scale.

If considering anything progessive: Buy once, cry once.  Buy Dillon

I tried to go progressive on the cheap,  Ive owned one of every press,  and currently a Dillon XL650, 1050 and Forster COAX are what occupy my bench.  Learn from my(and my Wallet's) mistakes.

ETA: I really like Lyman's Stuff, and here is a no brainer killer deal over at Graf's  Lyman kit CHEAP
MY thoughts on a SCALE.

Just stopped working.

Just my 2 cents worth.
For contrast, I'm still running the Dillon electronic scale I bought in 1994 or so.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top