Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/19/2018 10:23:08 PM EDT
I’ve seen this topic covered a few times in the past when discussing pistol shooting under nods. The consensus seems to be that a pistol mounted red dot  is the best way to go. I recently put an adjustable rmr on my fn 509 tactical (with tritium night sights) and under nods, the sights outshine/bloom and drown out the rmr dot. My initial thought is to use white paint to cover up the tritium vials, or possibly white out. Has anyone else ran into this? Should I replace them entirely or find a way to black them out? Thoughts?
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 10:26:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Night sights are way too bright for NVGs. Plus, they blur since your NVG is probably focused on infinity. Take’em off.
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 1:03:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Kinda pointless having night sights on an RMR’d fun IMHO.

I’d sell them and get a regular set of suppressor height irons for backups.
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 1:55:42 AM EDT
[#3]
about to go the same route (rm06 on G20SF)

to this this point, ive been running a SureFire x400Vir as an IR laser and illuminator when hunting pigs (suppressed, to very good effect)

the glock currently has trijicon night sights, one thing i have noticed is that with the matbock tarsier closed on my pvs14, and the ir illuminator engaged, i can actually use the nights sights effectively within my g20's typical hunting range.

the sights are crisp and focused, and with the ir illuminator lighting the target there is no discernible bloom.

i intend to switch to blacked out suppressor sights once i install the rmr, but with the focus device the standard NS are actually usable in the meantime
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 8:21:55 AM EDT
[#4]
1. Your tritiums should be way out of focus compared to your red dot and easy to ignore.

2. Your red dot can be brighter, but will bloom.

3. An IR illuminator will remove bloom from a brighter dot.
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 10:15:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 10:58:05 PM EDT
[#6]
thanks for the help, guys. I'm going to put some paint on them for the time being and then swap them for non tritium suppressor sights. thanks again
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top