[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Holosun 403B.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 11:51:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Primary arms, various models to choose drone but their advanced microdot is great
Link Posted: 12/25/2022 12:20:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Primary Arms has an SLx 25 on sale right now for $115, normally around $200 or so. I've had very good performance from a couple of PA RDS over the years, including one on an AK railed gas tube set up. Still works fine after several thousand rouds. NO heat issues either.
Link Posted: 12/25/2022 12:42:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
What do you recommend?
View Quote

Wanna throw out a number that you wanna stay around? Would probably be helpful.
Link Posted: 12/25/2022 1:50:06 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a Primary Arms prism optic on a 10-22.  I like it.
Link Posted: 12/25/2022 3:17:49 AM EDT
[#7]
I’m really liking the vortex crossfire. They’ve been on sale for the last few weeks and are great.
Link Posted: 12/25/2022 3:32:45 AM EDT
[#8]
I've put Tru-glo 30mm red dot sights on a number of 10/22s that my family uses, and I take to scout/girls camps, where they get used for days, thousands of rounds, in the rain, whatever.   None of them have ever failed or shifted zero.  I've always expected problems with them because they're just $35-$40 units, but... they just keep working.

If it was for anything more than ringing steel on a range for fun, I'd pony up more, but for that purpose, these are perfectly adequate.
Link Posted: 12/25/2022 4:18:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Sig Romeo 5.  I use them on AR’s, PCC’s and even on my Ruger MKIV’s.  
Link Posted: 12/25/2022 7:44:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Sig Romeo 5.  I use them on AR’s, PCC’s and even on my Ruger MKIV’s.  
https://i.ibb.co/41kJyxJ/A5460-C66-4894-486-B-A5-C8-EECD34-EBFEC6.jpg
View Quote

This, they can be had on sale for around $80.00 and have features that compete with $400.00 RDS.
Link Posted: 12/25/2022 8:50:09 AM EDT
[#11]
if you are going to compete in any speed shooting sport like Steel Challenge, I'd suggest a large window dot that presents a centered dot you don't have to search for... a Holosun 510c may be out of your immediate budget range, but they really work well for me... I really like the green reticle... circle dot (green) on my rifle, and dot (red) on my MKIV and a 507c red dot on my Carry Optic G17
Link Posted: 12/25/2022 9:03:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Didn't Bushnell have a cheapo dot that people used to recommend as a cheap plinking dot?

Edit: found it. Bushnell TRS-25. I thought these used to be closer to $35 or so. At $65 I would pony up a bit more for a cheaper holosun or get one of the PA/Sig branded holosuns. Not sure on the various feature sets each have right now.
Link Posted: 12/25/2022 9:06:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Holosun 510C or G depending on your color preference. Shake awake and solar charger keep me buying them. Have them on both my speed steel rimfire rifle and pistol.
Link Posted: 12/25/2022 10:28:54 AM EDT
[#14]
ATI Tacticals ATI-RD50.  2moa dot very comparable to the Bushnell TRS-25, lifetime warranty.

On that note, Bushnell TRS-25 has long been the standard for a decent cheap dot....
Link Posted: 12/25/2022 11:35:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Pretty much everything under $400 is made in china anyway.

I threw a browning reflex ( I think I paid about $50 5 years ago) on my S&W 15/22, and it has held up well, replaced battery once I think in 5 years. Having astigmatism many red dots give me a “cluster of grapes” effect, but the reflex style does not. I also like that it has a selector  to change the size and type of reticle for different purposes.
Link Posted: 12/25/2022 12:51:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Didn't Bushnell have a cheapo dot that people used to recommend as a cheap plinking dot?

Edit: found it. Bushnell TRS-25. I thought these used to be closer to $35 or so.....
View Quote

I came here to recommend the TRS-25.  I've had one on my critter-gitter 10/22 for close to 2 decades--I've used it in a few Appleseed shoots and despite the dot being fairly coarse (3 MOA) I pulled off a bunch of Rifleman scores with it.  

I finally replaced it with a 2 MOA Aimpoint because....well, because I had the $$ and decided to treat myself--I didn't have any real reason to replace it.

I handed the Bushnell down to my gf's daughter and set it up on her 10/22 last night.  It's doing the same duty it did so well for me--they have a small farm with guineas, chickens, goats and alpacas.....and all the rats, foxes, coyotes and vermin that come with a farm.
Link Posted: 12/25/2022 6:28:33 PM EDT
[#17]
I looked into the Bushnell TRS and I think I'm going to go that route as my budget for this rifle is sun $100. Thanks for the input guys
Link Posted: 12/25/2022 6:32:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Sig Romeo 5 on the low mount and use a Midwest industries pic rail to mount it to the gun
Link Posted: 12/25/2022 7:54:22 PM EDT
[#19]
I tend to default to Vortex Crossfires or similar. Sig, Bushnell, Holosun, as mentioned, also make good go-tos. Pick one and run with it (though Bushnell trs-25 would be my most bottom line suggestion).
Link Posted: 12/25/2022 11:06:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Love the Sig Romeo 5
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 12:08:30 PM EDT
[#21]
I’ve had a cheapie $35 browning reflex type on mine for years.

If I had to bug again I’d spend $100 for a holosun or sig dot all day long.
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 4:44:14 PM EDT
[#22]
HoloSun 403B
Sig Sauer 5 -- made by HoloSun
Primary Arms (model not known) --- used to be or maybe still is made by HoloSun on their microdots.

These are all outstanding RD's for the price and have upwards of 50K (we're talking years) battery life with the shake-a-wake feature. I have the discontinued HoloSun 403A model and the battery lasted 8yrs + and I only changed it out (was still working) as it's on my HD rifle just to be sure it had a fresh battery.

Here's something different that doesn't come from China. A Konus RD. Made in Italy using Japanese glass.

I don't have a Konus red dot, but I do have a KonusPRO LVPO (1.5-5x32) made for a slug gun that I use on my Hi-Point 40 S&W PCC (less than 100yds and brush gun) and it's held POI great past 4yrs for being such a low-cost scope.

Link Posted: 12/28/2022 11:19:59 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
if you are going to compete in any speed shooting sport like Steel Challenge, I'd suggest a large window dot that presents a centered dot you don't have to search for...
View Quote

This is solid advice. Small tube or window sights also reduce field of view for speed shooting. I ran cheap $25 Tasco red dots for speed steel. They had a big tube and never had any fail. The newer Tascos are not quite as good of quality. I also liked the Cmore on 90 mounts for pistols. They have a large window without riding high over the bore.
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 11:24:41 AM EDT
[#24]
Primary Arms MD-25 is really nice as well. On sale around $100 or less some times.
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 9:25:11 PM EDT
[#25]
The Primary Arms MD unit, or the TRS-25.  Both can be had for cheap if you're patient, I've had both on various 10/22s through the years.

This one wears a TRS-25 that I think I got for like $35 shipped one year on sale.

Link Posted: 12/30/2022 5:42:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Edit: found it. Bushnell TRS-25. I thought these used to be closer to $35 or so. At $65 I would pony up a bit more for a cheaper holosun or get one of the PA/Sig branded holosuns. Not sure on the various feature sets each have right now.
View Quote

Quoted:

I came here to recommend the TRS-25.  I've had one on my critter-gitter 10/22 for close to 2 decades--I've used it in a few Appleseed shoots and despite the dot being fairly coarse (3 MOA) I pulled off a bunch of Rifleman scores with it.  

I finally replaced it with a 2 MOA Aimpoint because....well, because I had the $$ and decided to treat myself--I didn't have any real reason to replace it.

I handed the Bushnell down to my gf's daughter and set it up on her 10/22 last night.  It's doing the same duty it did so well for me--they have a small farm with guineas, chickens, goats and alpacas.....and all the rats, foxes, coyotes and vermin that come with a farm.
View Quote

I have a TRS-25 and it's beyond adequate for a 10/22. My complaint is the tint on the glass makes it harder to see targets that are in green grass.

I bought it before Holosuns were so ubiquitous, and if I were doing it today I'd probably go with a Holosun or a Primary Arms  Red Dot or prismatic option.
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 11:15:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

The TRS-25 continues to be a good choice for a basic no frills red dot.  It is almost indestructible and can take the abuse of young beginners.  It is small and light weight.

Its only downside is that it will eat its 2032 coin battery if you forget to turn it off after use.  It has no time out or motion actuation feature.  I have a couple of them on .22LRs that must be close to 10 years old now.
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 8:50:47 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Was also going to suggest the trs25.
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 9:27:52 AM EDT
[#29]
TRS25
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 4:58:03 PM EDT
[#30]
My best budget optics are a Tru Glo reflex sight and a Bushnell TRS-25 red dot.
My Tru Glo has been on several ARs going back to 2008, so 15 years old and going strong.
I run a LOT of TRS-25s on various platforms (Mini-14, AK, SKS, VZ58) besides AKs, with several mounted on handguards right over the gas piston. Never had one fail.
I think the most I ever paid for a TRS-25 was $65 cause I needed one right then but often just waited for a sale and got most of em for under $50.
If you have more money to spend or want more features Primary Arms is a good source. But if you just want a basic set it and forget it optic these won't leave you hanging.
edit: forgot to add, I've had some cheap dots that would slowly drain a battery when sitting turned off, not the Bushnell or Truglo.
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 11:31:01 AM EDT
[#31]
FieldSport red green dot only $25
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 6:52:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

Anyone got the TRS-26? I have a discontinued Bushnell Mini Cannon, about 150 shipped from Natchez. Perfectly clear outside for my astigmatism, probably too tall for a 10-22 though.
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 8:02:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Anyone got the TRS-26? I have a discontinued Bushnell Mini Cannon, about 150 shipped from Natchez. Perfectly clear outside for my astigmatism, probably too tall for a 10-22 though.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a Trs-26 its ok also have a Bushnell Enrage its ok also no reviews when i got mine kind of wish i never got it the 26 is better between the 2.  For the fraction of the cost the Field Sport work just as good but would need a mount to make it the same height as the Bushnells. I have a red model that sits on a ak and the red green one that sits on a 870.
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 12:10:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I have a Primary Arms prism optic on a 10-22.  I like it.
View Quote

Which model? I have a takedown I've been wanting to put a prism on. I've got one of the 1x micro prism on an AR and I'm highly impressed with it.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 2:58:51 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I have a Trs-26 its ok also have a Bushnell Enrage its ok also no reviews when i got mine kind of wish i never got it the 26 is better between the 2.  For the fraction of the cost the Field Sport work just as good but would need a mount to make it the same height as the Bushnells. I have a red model that sits on a ak and the red green one that sits on a 870.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a TRS-26 that I purchased from Bushnell in late 2021 with a crazy rebate, I think it was $50 all said and done. It's now on my 15-22P, but I have very little trigger time on it (was irons only and have only shot it once since installing the TRS).

I don't like that there really isn't a good option for covering the lenses when stored. I don't love the looks. I think it looks fine alone in pictures, but it looks kinda cheap on my gun in my opinion. Replacing the mount may improve that, but it's not the most important thing. Lastly, the red dot blooms quite a lot for my astigmatism. That's a me problem, but usually I'm okay with most red dots. My TRS-26 is particularly bad for my eye, but that's a me problem.

So for $50 I'm okay with it, and don't regret purchasing, but if my financial situation improves I'd probably replace it with a Holosun. If I were to do it today without Bushnell offering the rebate, I'd probably buy the $25 Field Sport optic and a UTG or used lower 1/3 mount, then wait until I retired a Holosun from one of my AR's and put it on my .22. Or I'd just buy a Holosun or Primary Arms optic.
Link Posted: 2/18/2023 11:39:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Dang. I should’ve looked through here. Just bought a charger and I’m throwing around the idea of a re dot on it
Link Posted: 2/18/2023 11:43:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Sig Romeo 5
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 1:40:51 PM EDT
[#38]
What does the hive think about this for a cheap budget red dot?

Linky

Attachment Attached File

That sku number tho…
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 3:32:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
FieldSport red green dot only $25
View Quote

Lol I have an ungodly amount of rounds through a 22 that wears one of these. Its value has far surpassed the $29 I paid for it.

ETA: I have zero confidence in its ability to withstand any even slight abuse. Mine is on a simple backyard plinker.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 5:11:47 PM EDT
[#40]
Holosun 403R is the best bang for buck IMO.  Romeo5 is good but I don't care for the push button.  Anything less I've had issues with brightness and/or battery life.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 5:23:01 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's what I was going to suggest, but yeah, they're more than they used to be.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 5:33:51 PM EDT
[#42]
I have a vortex w/ a 2x mag screwed into the lens... Makes the dot really sharp & my eyes like that.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 5:51:42 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
The Primary Arms MD unit, or the TRS-25.  Both can be had for cheap if you're patient, I've had both on various 10/22s through the years.

This one wears a TRS-25 that I think I got for like $35 shipped one year on sale.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/129976/28CBEA70-AE1A-4302-9D18-72DBD64F8E3D-1676688.jpg
View Quote

Holy Crap! I am totally coveting your rifle!
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 1:50:22 AM EDT
[#44]
Came here to join the chorus on the ubiquitous little TRS-25.  Basic, no frills, virtually indestructible.  Ideal for ,22LR.

Rifle is a Marlin Model 57 .22LR.  I've since moved it forward a couple inches.

Link Posted: 4/27/2023 12:28:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I looked into the Bushnell TRS and I think I'm going to go that route as my budget for this rifle is sun $100. Thanks for the input guys
View Quote

Good choice.
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 8:53:03 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I have a vortex w/ a 2x mag screwed into the lens... Makes the dot really sharp & my eyes like that.
View Quote

Can you add any more details to this? Models, I didn't know you could add magnified lenses to red dots, other than a seperate magnifier behind it.
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 9:12:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Can you add any more details to this? Models, I didn't know you could add magnified lenses to red dots, other than a seperate magnifier behind it.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

It has the ability to shift red/green dot... Not sure if they still make it, but there has to be something comparable.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 3:11:28 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/16226/IMG_3132_jpg-2797984.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/16226/IMG_3133_jpg-2797986.JPG

It has the ability to shift red/green dot... Not sure if they still make it, but there has to be something comparable.
View Quote

Thanks for the reply. It looks like it was discontinued around 2015.  I'll have to look around for something like that.  I imagine the newer micro prism sights will replace that market.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 9:15:37 AM EDT
[#49]
I'm pretty happy with my Sig Romeo MSR (green dot). It was like 80 bucks on Amazon.
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 10:28:53 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
What does the hive think about this for a cheap budget red dot?

Linky

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/289111/C1D4D7EF-8476-421C-8B9D-8FCEDD395FFB_png-2748108.JPG

That sku number tho
View Quote
Don't do it. I bought one for my sons' airsoft.  It is almost impossible to see the dot during peak daylight. At first, I thought the battery is dead, but was just as dim with a new one.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top