Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/22/2022 1:41:57 PM EDT
NIJ ratings have always been a min standard, and for the most part on the civilian accessible side, no one really sells plates that would make up a new protection level. Adept made some bold claims with stopping threats well outside the NIJ's ratings. I would like to test their RF2 model at somepoint as that uses a metallic strike face with zero fragmentation coating/cover on it. Price point on these plates is well below market value given that it's only 1/2 lb heavier than RMA's 1192 plate.  If you were looking at these and want to support the time/materials "buffman" is my magic code :D
Adept Level IV+/RF Beyond

Adept Colossus, King of the Body Armor Hill? Beyond Level IV/RF3

Link Posted: 11/22/2022 7:42:09 PM EDT
[#1]
This armor looks like it was made for Black Mesa
Link Posted: 11/22/2022 8:11:59 PM EDT
[#2]
That SMKH nazi space magic is unstoppable. Also wild that its totally outclassing any other modern round you've tested.

Has it been confirmed to use a different type of tungsten? And were you able to recover the core from the clay box? Curious whether it shattered of just zipped through unfazed.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 12:35:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That SMKH nazi space magic is unstoppable. Also wild that its totally outclassing any other modern round you've tested.

Has it been confirmed to use a different type of tungsten? And were you able to recover the core from the clay box? Curious whether it shattered of just zipped through unfazed.
View Quote
Yes. I've PMI'd the SMHK:
6.61% Nickel, 4.26% Copper, 88.92% Tungsten. Adept tells me this is a Tungsten Heavy Alloy (WHA). WHA First row
Vs
M993:
Nickel: .5%, Iron 8%, Tungsten,  76%, Cobalt 13%.

Adept says the M993 projectile cores are a cemented tungsten carbide + cobalt. Those projectiles likely accel against vehicle armor.  Adept believes the ceramic just couldn't erode enough of it, and it didn't shatter like an M993 projectile does.

Link Posted: 11/23/2022 10:15:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Damn that's a crazy plate. That's a crazy tempting price, too. Your review makes it almost seem like a no brainer choice, but I'm concerned to drop 1200 on something and be an early adopter, especially without an NIJ cert.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 11:24:44 AM EDT
[#5]
What an impressive plate. Thanks Matt. Germany Still lost WWII
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 6:47:51 PM EDT
[#6]
@Buffman_LT1 How far did the defeated projectiles make it into the backer? I'm wondering if the backface is more from the ceramic caving in while crushing the projectiles, rather than partial penetrations going deep into the layers.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 11:50:54 PM EDT
[#7]
I still have the remnants. Give me a few days to try and pry it apart
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 8:12:44 PM EDT
[#8]
The +p+ m993 parts of it made it to the rear 1/8" of the backer. The M80a1 maybe 1/4" in the back. The other treats didn't make it into the PE.
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 11:26:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 3:07:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The +p+ m993 parts of it made it to the rear 1/8" of the backer. The M80a1 maybe 1/4" in the back. The other treats didn't make it into the PE.
View Quote

VERY interesting, thanks for taking the time to dig through it!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top