Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/25/2020 4:05:16 PM EDT
Ever since I bought my Armalite AR-10B over a decade ago, there has been a couple of things that really bugged me about the rifle,
the carry handle, and AR style charging set-up.

Took care of the carry handle recently, as documented in the thread Loosing-the-carry-handle-on-my-AR-10B .
I know, should have just bought a flat top upper, trouble was that Armalite has had them listed as 'Out of Stock' for years,
or just sold the weapon, and bought some other brand with what I wanted, but I have another complete long range upper for this rifle, with nearly 2 dozen mags, and didn't want to start all over.

After trying to find who had made a side charge conversions for other ARs, so I could just buy the pieces, over in the AR Variant section ( Loosing-the-carry-handle-on-my-AR-10B ),
and since I had my upper stripped to do the flat top conversion any way, bought some steel, and started making shavings.

Here is one of the ARs I found under Google images where someone else had adapted a FAL charge handle to an AR:

Note, on this example, the charge handle will reciprocate with the bolt carrier.
Mine will not, and will stay in the closed position when the BC cycles.

Found a T-slot cutter on eBay that wasn't made in pandemic china, that fit the bill.

Using a piece of W1 tool steel, cut the initial slot to depth.

Then using T-slot cutter, cut the side groves to accept the FAL charge handle.

Machined a slightest flat on the side of the receiver, so not to loose too much wall thickness,
then drilled the slide base with 3 attachment holes, and 2 holes at the end of where the slot would go.

The mount holes were then countersunk to accept M4 FHCS, and the receiver drilled & tapped to mount the base.
Then the slot was cut.

Still a long way to go.
A lot of deburring, need to get in the correct length cap screws,
have to make a new pin to fit the FAL charge handle, long enough to engage the AR bolt carrier,
and modify the bolt carrier to mate up with the pin.

More to come....
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 4:10:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Wouldn't it have been easier to buy a stripped side charging upper? Not that I don't do "projects" myself, but....
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 4:36:39 PM EDT
[#2]
None out there that fit the Armalite AR-10B (they used the M14 mags)
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 6:25:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice work.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 6:59:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
None out there that fit the Armalite AR-10B (they used the M14 mags)
View Quote

Gotcha. And I even went back trying to figure it out and missed it. I knew Gibbz made one but it's the other flavor lower. I don't trust my mad hacksaw skills enough to attempt this.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 7:38:45 PM EDT
[#5]
I was thinking about an add-on, like DevelDog makes 2 versions for the AR15,
but when I asked them if they made an AR10 version, they said too damn many variants to make it worth their time.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 3:55:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Very nice work. I like what you're doing.

I remember from the past when a machinist welded up a HD rear motorcycle suspension replacement kit that looked like a hardtail using underslung shocks and was selling them in a few MC magazines.

I remember a machinist who made a detachable barrel system for the 10/22.

In to see where this goes!

Link Posted: 4/27/2020 12:47:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Well, didn't do much today, except break down the bolt carrier, and machine the slot for the pin of the charge handle to engage.
Mid week should see the new pin for the FAL charge handle machined.
I may need to lap the handle into the slot, as even though it moves smoothly now, it will probably be too tight after I apply KG GunKote.

Link Posted: 4/27/2020 5:35:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Nice work, side charger and flat top.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 8:48:22 PM EDT
[#9]
I like it.

Does the pin make it through the lugs or clear their OD? It looks pretty close, kn the pic.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 12:29:41 AM EDT
[#10]
It stops short of the lugs.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 4:17:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well, didn't do much today, except break down the bolt carrier, and machine the slot for the pin of the charge handle to engage.
Mid week should see the new pin for the FAL charge handle machined.
I may need to lap the handle into the slot, as even though it moves smoothly now, it will probably be too tight after I apply KG GunKote.

https://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z237/duaxmachine/DSC09361.jpg
View Quote

That looks much stronger than my Frontier Armory ar15 set up.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 9:01:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Finished pin.

Just a lot of finishing work now, like deburing, lapping, some clearance adjustments as I mentioned, before getting coated.

Going back to work on the 1st, so time will be hard to come by as toilet paper was a few weeks ago.
Damn 12 hour shifts....
Glad I got most of this knocked out while I had time off.

Link Posted: 4/29/2020 8:32:03 PM EDT
[#13]
De-horned the original charge handle, since it isn't going to be used in that function any longer.

Did do a trial assembly last night, and everything moves as intended.
I was enjoying playing with it for quite a while. Would stoke it a half dozen times, get a big smile on my face, walk away for 10-15 minutes,
just to get the urge again, and go back to playing with it again.

Just to assure you, I am speaking of the AR-10....

Just found out that the plant I work at has moved the 'back to work' until next Wednesday, so I might get the thing coated still.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 3:40:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Ready for the range

Link Posted: 5/3/2020 4:58:25 PM EDT
[#15]
It looks great. I’m really impressed and jealous
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 3:38:26 PM EDT
[#16]
I am impressed.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 5:16:16 PM EDT
[#17]
I am relieved....
Had several instances of "Crap, how do I get around this road block?", and a lot of "Oh Lord, please help me NOT screw up this step!".

Was supposed to go back to work on the 1st, that was moved out to the 5th, then they shut the plant down again until the 18th, so I will now get some range time.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 4:25:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Looks fantastic, very nice!
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 6:01:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Well done.
Link Posted: 7/5/2020 6:24:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Well, after a range day, everything but the JARD 4 lb single stage trigger works as it is supposed to.
Fun to shoot.

I bought the trigger set 8 years ago, and due to my dislike of the carry handle, a charging set up, the weapon sat in the safe until recently.
Turns out the JARD hammer doesn't have the mass to light off military surplus ammo. Works on commercial stuff just fine.
Then after a Google search for JARD issues/problems...ARG! Many reports of doubling, and not staying in adjustment.

So I now have an Elfmann on the way.

Also picked up a Strike Ind. adjustable gas block, and a Leupold Firedot scope.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top