Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/14/2021 12:09:21 AM EDT
So I had a gunsmith cut down my barrel for my sbr PS90. I bought the cmmg barrel thread adaptor to go on my barrel so I can thread 1/2x28 suppressors on it. He put a spacer shim on the barrel so there is no play or wobble. Is this a good idea. He said it would help with accuracy. I don’t know anything about this so I was just wondering.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 12:13:03 AM EDT
[#1]
It sounds like he cut and threaded the barrel to the incorrect length and is using a spacer to take up space. You should be fine.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 12:22:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It sounds like he cut and threaded the barrel to the incorrect length and is using a spacer to take up space. You should be fine.
View Quote

He said he cut it to 10.4. Same as my paperwork and factory barrel. My question is should the barrel wobble a bit back and forth and front to back for reliability? Or solid is good?
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 12:22:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Rotational play is normal. Shouldn’t be any front to back slop though.

As posted below, some front to back play is normal. Got the PS90 out this morning and confirmed.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 12:24:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Rotational play is normal. Shouldn’t be any front to back slop though.
View Quote

That’s what I want to know. I see this video and this guy heads front to back movement. Skip to the end.

PS90 Short Barrel Installation
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 1:19:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Yeah, i have about 1 mm of front to back movement in the barrel.

I'm using the CMMG 10.4" barrel and 1/2x28 thread adapter. Didn't need a spacer though...
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 1:26:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Yes, there should be a little movement back and forth (and rotational). Just did this for a customer as well.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 7:34:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Would the spacer hurt anything? The factory 16” always bugged me with the play,
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 10:25:09 AM EDT
[#8]
The system is designed to have some pogo-stick action (back and forth) play to create a delayed blowback.  If it wasn't intended to move back and forth, why would FN have a barrel return spring incorporated in the system?
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 11:01:56 AM EDT
[#9]
It might work okay but, unless you're pushing for something specific (like trying to make a precision gun out of it), I'd pull the shim and make it work as-designed. Doing an R&R on that barrel is pretty simple. Might even be easier than doing it on an AR, just need to remember that it's reverse-threaded.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 3:20:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Are you still getting that forward/backward movement with the spacer currently installed?

I just checked mine and this is how much space I have between the adapter and receiver once the adapter is tightened down to the barrel. If I were you, i would remove the spacer and see how much space you have without it.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 3:37:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Are you still getting that forward/backward movement with the spacer currently installed?

I just checked mine and this is how much space I have between the adapter and receiver once the adapter is tightened down to the barrel. If I were you, i would remove the spacer and see how much space you have without it.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/145596/spacer_JPG-1942077.JPG
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 4:39:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 4:47:00 PM EDT
[#13]

Yeah, that is a lot of space between the adapter and the receiver. Have you actually measured the barrel length?
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 5:04:02 PM EDT
[#14]
I'd be skeptical it was cut to the appropriate length. I don't know everything there is to know about a PS90, but I've yet to see one with a spacer at all.

My TROS cut barrel has a few degrees of side to side rotation, and maybe a microscopic amount of forward and aft play.

" />
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 5:25:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Well I got shoot it tomorrow without the shim and report back.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 6:59:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Attachment Attached File

Alignment rod is good.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 1:13:44 PM EDT
[#17]
I just shot 100 rounds of the blue tip FN ammo. I shot it the way it is in the post above. Sandman K with no barrel bushing. The only malfunction I had was one fail to feed from the mag. Accuracy Was about 3 moa at 100 yards with a red dot.
You think it’s good or is the space between the receiver and barrel too long?
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 6:37:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
You think it's good or is the space between the receiver and barrel too long?
View Quote
It's too much space.

I don't have the spec handy, but it should be around .020" to .030" and I think that's why you experienced a failure to feed. (I'm assuming your mags and ammo were good.)
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 7:05:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
It's too much space.

I don't have the spec handy, but it should be around .020" to .030" and I think that's why you experienced a failure to feed. (I'm assuming your mags and ammo were good.)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You think it's good or is the space between the receiver and barrel too long?
It's too much space.

So I pulled the barrel out and measured it myself. It’s exactly 10.4 on the dot.
Here’s a pic of the crown and threads

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 7:11:51 PM EDT
[#20]
how long is the threaded portion? Does the adapter stop on the muzzle face or does it run out of threads?

The threads on the CMMG barrels start a little ways behind the muzzle.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 7:30:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
how long is the threaded portion? Does the adapter stop on the muzzle face or does it run out of threads?

The threads on the CMMG barrels start a little ways behind the muzzle.
View Quote

It’s timing off the crown. So it’s stops on the muzzle
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 3:00:00 PM EDT
[#22]
So I shot 100 rounds today out of my sbr. I had about a dozen malfunctions with it. All I shoot is the blue tip FN ammo. Most were click no bang. I would pull the mag and there would be an unfired round in the chamber. Very odd. Maybe it’s not fully into battery when I pull the trigger? Any thoughts? I’m using a sandman K suppressor too. Some would be a fail to feed. I also have never cleaned the gun out of about 400 rounds.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 1:58:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Is that with or without the shim?
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 9:11:07 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Is that with or without the shim?
View Quote

Without. All shooting has been done so far without. Maybe I should put it in.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 10:49:18 PM EDT
[#25]
It not right with or without the shim. I would have the barrel fixed.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 10:59:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
It not right with or without the shim. I would have the barrel fixed.
View Quote

What do you guys think I should do? I measured the barrel myself. It’s 10.4. Maybe the thread adaptor is out of spec. Take it back to the gunsmith and have him cut it more? I measured the gap last night. It’s 2.06mm. Install the shim and try shooting it with the barrel fixed?
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 1:22:19 AM EDT
[#27]
Just to reconfirm, there isn't any movement when you have the shim installed, correct?

Can you get a picture of the barrel outside of the receiver? Would like to see the entire threaded portion.
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 2:29:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Just to reconfirm, there isn't any movement when you have the shim installed, correct?

Can you get a picture of the barrel outside of the receiver? Would like to see the entire threaded portion.
View Quote

With the shim it’s solid. Gunsmith thinks it would be more accurate with it but have not tried yet. I need to get a small wrench to take the barrel out. The one I used belongs to the gunsmith
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 5:48:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Capri Tools 14 mm x 15 mm Super-Thin Open End Wrench, Metric, 11850-1415

This is the one I used for mine and my buddies PS90.
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 6:43:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Capri Tools 14 mm x 15 mm Super-Thin Open End Wrench, Metric, 11850-1415

This is the one I used for mine and my buddies PS90.
View Quote

Thanks! Just ordered
Link Posted: 6/2/2021 7:09:36 PM EDT
[#31]
I went thru a situation with my and ps90 that resulted in alot of forced education.  On a tablet so cant write the novel.  In a nutshell someone messed up your ps90.  The barrel free floats for a reason and you can look up the fnh patent.  Tros might be able to fix but good luck with your situation.
Link Posted: 6/2/2021 7:38:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I went thru a situation with my and ps90 that resulted in alot of forced education.  On a tablet so cant write the novel.  In a nutshell someone messed up your ps90.  The barrel free floats for a reason and you can look up the fnh patent.  Tros might be able to fix but good luck with your situation.
View Quote

What’s messed up? I got put on a instock notification for a cmmg barrel. All he did was take the barrel out and cut it down.
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 6:32:20 AM EDT
[#33]
The gunsmith’s work. We don’t know thanks what’s causing your issue, but we already know it’s not right.

The next step after getting the CMMG barrel is presumably avoiding that gunsmith, certainly for something specialized like this. You’d have saved your time, money and efforts if you knew what you know now.
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 10:57:31 PM EDT
[#34]
as mentioned when you have time, please take the barrel out and show us the OAL, and the threaded portion.

I used to have these measurements, but not sure where they are anymore

Hey may have cut the barrel slightly too long?

Link Posted: 6/3/2021 11:10:35 PM EDT
[#35]
The wrench should be here on Saturday
Link Posted: 6/5/2021 9:10:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Alright I took the barrel off tonight. Here it is.
@LuxorDeathbed
@CJofFL

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/5/2021 9:24:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Maybe the barrel is slightly on the longer side… here it is reinstalled

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 9:46:04 AM EDT
[#38]
You’re better off comparing it to the CMMG barrel. Using manufacturer’s numbers to cut a barrel like this is hopeless because there’s too many variables. For example, how’s the barrel length measured? Chamber face? Bolt face? Another one is rounding off numbers or a bad conversion from metric to standard.

FWIW, the spec is 264mm.

Edited to add: Here’s pics of mine, factory FN P90 barrel & flash hider... https://imgur.com/a/4FGp4vv

Edited to add more: I notice your barrel has a shoulder where it shouldn’t and your thread adapter may be bottoming out on it. Or it’s too long. Or who knows what. Your best bet is probably to try to have it machined to mimic the CMMG barrel.
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 11:58:23 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
You’re better off comparing it to the CMMG barrel. Using manufacturer’s numbers to cut a barrel like this is hopeless because there’s too many variables. For example, how’s the barrel length measured? Chamber face? Bolt face? Another one is rounding off numbers or a bad conversion from metric to standard.

FWIW, the spec is 264mm.

Edited to add: Here’s pics of mine, factory FN P90 barrel & flash hider... https://imgur.com/a/4FGp4vv

Edited to add more: I notice your barrel has a shoulder where it shouldn’t and your thread adapter may be bottoming out on it. Or it’s too long. Or who knows what. Your best bet is probably to try to have it machined to mimic the CMMG barrel.
View Quote

It’s bottoming out on the crown of the barrel. Do you ever have any fail to feed or fire on your ps90?
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 7:16:33 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

It’s bottoming out on the crown of the barrel. Do you ever have any fail to feed or fire on your ps90?
View Quote

No, knock on wood, never in 2,400 rounds of SS195 and American Eagle.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 9:55:02 PM EDT
[#41]
I took it back to the gunsmith. He cut one mm off the barrel. It looks much better now. I just need to find some time to go shoot it and see if reliability improves.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 10:15:06 PM EDT
[#42]
+subscribed, interested in the answer
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 5:25:21 PM EDT
[#43]
That looks a lot more like it is supposed to.
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 7:12:11 PM EDT
[#44]
So I just got back from the range. I had two 50 round mags with me. I shot 20 unsuppressed and 80 suppressed with my dead air sandman k. Hearing safe without muffs. Zero issues or malfunctions. Ran like it supposed to. Hopefully it stays that way. I really like this gun and want to use it in a few matches.
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 11:29:31 PM EDT
[#45]
That's great! Sounds like he got you taken care of.

I'd do more testing to confirm.
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 5:50:10 PM EDT
[#46]
+1 good outcome. Thanks for sharing your experience with this
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top