Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/25/2022 5:45:19 PM EDT
My son is 18 and I would like to add him to my trust as a responsible person.
I mean amend a trust with existing NFA items on it, SBR and suppressors.
The ATF says:

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/how-old-i-have-be-make-or-own-nfa-firearm#:~:text=The%20National%20Firearms%20Act%20
The National Firearms Act (NFA) contains no minimum age in regard to the possession of NFA firearms. Regardless, federal firearms law prohibits a licensed importer, manufacturer, dealer or collector (i.e., licensees) from selling or delivering any firearm or ammunition to any individual that the federal licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than 18 years of age. Federal firearms law further provides that a licensee shall not sell or deliver any firearm or ammunition that is other than a shotgun or rifle or ammunition for a shotgun or rifle to any individual that the federal licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than 21 years of age.
View Quote

1) I am not a licensee. Seems odd they only mention licensee, but might not apply to this case anyway.
2) SBR = rifle, correct? I think this covers me.
3) So no machine pistols, what else? AOW, Destructive devices?

Link Posted: 8/25/2022 5:52:44 PM EDT
[#1]
The first sentence is all that matters to you. There is no minimum age to possess NFA items. 18 year olds can even submit form 1s and make NFA items.
Link Posted: 8/26/2022 10:25:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/26/2022 12:36:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Good to go with existing items.  New form 4s will be denied unless the under 21 trustee is removed.
View Quote

Really, that seems odd. Thanks for the heads up.

ETA: It looks like a 18 yo can have existing, do Form 1 and Form 4 from an individual but not from a dealer. More goofy gun laws.
Link Posted: 8/26/2022 4:17:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/26/2022 5:37:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The real question is, is your 18-yr old son trustworthy (not a pun…well, yea it is) enough to not jeopardize the trust itself by engaging in activities or actions he may consider normal at his age (e.g. smoking pot) or an oversight/accident on his part (e.g. traffic accident).

While you may think he’s not doing anything wrong, you most likely will never know if he is/n’t.

The better course of action from a legal standpoint is to make him a successor trustee.
View Quote

It would be easy to remove him if he did something before he was convicted. How would that jeopardize the trust?
How is a traffic accident going to do that? My wife is on one of my trust, she could crash a car.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top