Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/18/2019 2:10:01 PM EDT
Curious to those who have experience and figured this would be the place to ask. I know PMM is renowned for SCAR barrel cutting and port adjustment, however they are about double the cost of Adco and more importantly have a few month lead time. Is there a difference in quality that one would not get with Adco? I haven't heard of anything bad with either, just seems all SCAR barrel cut threads I've found are using PMM
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 3:04:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I would also suggest D. Wilson Manufacturing. Quick, to the point and does excellent work.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 3:43:35 PM EDT
[#2]
PMM did mine, but I did have to wait a painful 6 weeks. That was about a year ago, not sure what the wait time is like now.
I will say I’m very happy with the work and a few different size gas jets were also supplied to dial things in.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 3:55:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 4:40:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would also suggest D. Wilson Manufacturing. Quick, to the point and does excellent work.
View Quote
Highly recommend.

I've sent stuff to ADCO, D. Wilson, and Marvin Pitts. I'd pick Marvin or D. Wilson, an edge to D because he has a fast turn around time.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 5:51:14 PM EDT
[#5]
What about Morgan Richey at http://class3machining.com/?
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 5:05:38 PM EDT
[#6]
I cannot comment on the work done yet, but I just e-mailed Wilson MFG about doing some barrel work on my 17 and received an e-mail back in less than 2 minutes. The last 10 minutes have been back-and-forth e-mails with questions and getting things sorted out.

So within 15 minutes, I've had all my questions answered and am sold on sending my 17 barrel in.

Five stars so far.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 6:46:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
I’ll second Morgan. Great work fast turn around.
EE Thread
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 7:43:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
I paid & sent Morgan a Sig MCX 5.56 barrel for a cutdown, crown and add the Sig taper.

Two out of three got done...  Either their attention to detail is off or their QA/QC was off on my project day.

Me, I will not use Morgan again when there are plenty of other GOOD & AWESOME machinists available.

D. Wilson is my vote.

~Will
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 8:27:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I paid & sent Morgan a Sig MCX 5.56 barrel for a cutdown, crown and add the Sig taper.

Two out of three got done...  Either their attention to detail is off or their QA/QC was off on my project day.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/34498/MCX_5_bbl_-_Copy__2_-817349.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/34498/MCX_4_bbl_-_Copy-817348.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/34498/MCX_3_bbl_-_Copy-817347.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/34498/MCX_2_bbl_-_Copy-817346.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/34498/MCX_1_bbl_-_Copy-817345.jpg

Me, I will not use Morgan again when there are plenty of other GOOD & AWESOME machinists available.

D. Wilson is my vote.

~Will
View Quote
Did you contact him to let him know you were unsatisfied with the work? Did he make things right?
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 10:26:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Did you contact him to let him know you were unsatisfied with the work? Did he make things right?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yes.  I haven't heard anything from him.

Look at my pics, and ask yourself: Do I want to go cheap and end up with a sharp edge on the bore of my shortened barrel?

Cause that is what I got.  A $75 chop and a $30 taper.

When I shipped him the barrel either his local post office or the shop lost my barrel for two weeks also.

I just haven't had the best of experiences with them.

YMMV.

From my post in his thread (NOV 9, 2018)

Hoo-Ray for the Post Office...

I sent payment via PAYPAL (28 Oct) and mailed out the barrel as instructed (29 Oct) and for a week the post office is "attempting" to deliver it.

Sure am glad I insured the package!!

Quote from the USPS:

Scheduled Date: 10/31/2018 11:59 PM
Delivery Status: Notice Left (No Authorized Recipient Available) 2018-11-08 15:47:00.0

Status
Delivery Attempt: Action Needed
November 8, 2018 at 3:47 pm

Notice Left (No Authorized Recipient Available)

ROWLETT, TX 75088
Edited to add: Barrel FINALLY delivered on 13 NOV. . Hoo-Ray Postal “SERVICE”
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 10:37:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 10:44:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

What are you talking about when you say "sharp edge on the bore"? I dont see anything wrong in any of your pictures.
View Quote
I need to light the bore better, but running my finger across it, its sharp.

Running my finger across other ends of barrels and there is a 'chamfer' - I don't know if that's the right word.

It just seems like it wasn't 'finished' to me, I have not shot it.

THIS IS NOT MY BARREL NOR MY PICTURE: But this appears to be a properly finished barrel.

Link Posted: 1/22/2019 10:49:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 10:55:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

OK. You're upset because he didnt dress the crown with a bevel, a recess or a taper.   That doesn't matter at all, you're blowing things way out of proportion, IMO.  As long as the muzzle and crown are cut square, that's all that matters.  That gun will shoot just fine, and adding a recess or whatever will make NO functional difference.
View Quote
Well that's good to hear!

Again, I paid $300 for this MCX barrel and put another ~$105 plus shipping it there.  There were 'delays'.

Based off of this experience I will not be sending that business a $900+ barrel for this previously experienced work.

Hence, when someone asks "What about..." I chimed in with my experience.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 2:55:07 AM EDT
[#15]
I used PMM for my 16 and I was only bugged about the long wait (almost 3 months) but the work seemed good.  Adco has done 10 or so barrels as well and I always receive fast service and excellent work.  In fact, they currently have 2 barrels of mine.  Great prices and quick turn around.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 11:12:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Marc with AZ machine gun ordinance
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 11:31:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 9:26:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 10:00:44 PM EDT
[#19]
I doubt I would use PMM again over all of the other options.  They didn't send any sort of confirmation that they received my barrel and ignored a simple question via e-mail.  I don't mind their stated lead time, but the lack of communication is pretty lame.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 4:46:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I cannot comment on the work done yet, but I just e-mailed Wilson MFG about doing some barrel work on my 17 and received an e-mail back in less than 2 minutes. The last 10 minutes have been back-and-forth e-mails with questions and getting things sorted out.

So within 15 minutes, I've had all my questions answered and am sold on sending my 17 barrel in.

Five stars so far.
View Quote
Info on Wilson?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top