Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/20/2020 8:59:07 AM EDT
Hey everyone, long time lurker here on ARFCOM and finally made a profile recently since im currently in the process of saving up for nods. Im a big buy once cry once sort of guy and am budgeting around $15k or so for a complete setup. Now i have been reading a bunch lately on tube manufacturers, WP vs green, unfiltered vs thin filtered, auto vs manual gain and so on and so forth, and since SHOT, have been looking at TNVCs offerings. What caught my eye the most was the DTNVS in L3 unfilmed WP with ether pieces. I had originally thought to myself that id just stay cheap and spend no more than $3k on a full setup with some PVS-14 and quickly decided against. Then more recently, i saw Night Vision Devices BNVD-SG but for the life of me i cannot find a review on them so it has kinda sketched me out. The main question here, first of all, is the DTNVS auto-gain? I feel like ive read every spec sheet and I cannot seem to find an answer. Also just some general recommendations for my budget and the outline of a good dependable set of nods, with auto on/off depending on folding position, that follow KISS?

Thanks everyone!
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 9:47:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 10:03:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 10:23:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The DTNVS is automatic gain The DTNVS will be pricey, probably 10-20% over the DTNVG. And it wont be hitting the market until probably summer time.
View Quote
Thanks for the quick response Sam! From what i saw on their website, it looks like around $11.4k or so for the L3 Unfilmed with ether eye pieces. From the general firearms industry and business in general, most things dont sell for msrp so would you say that a price of about $10.9k would be potential? Again im new to nods so im not sure on the industry standard for actual cost % of msrp. I figure ill probably have enough after about 8-14 months of saving and budgeting so the timeline doesnt bother me too much.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 10:31:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Then more recently, i saw Night Vision Devices BNVD-SG but for the life of me i cannot find a review on them s
View Quote
BNVD review on Ar15.com

Here's one from the forums here from a well respected member here that takes the best pictures known to man!

The Ultralight BNVDs are what he bought in that post above but the BNVDs are very similar- slightly more weight but all the features of full articulation, shut off of individual channels when you roll one pod up (or both), auto shutoff when you flip the whole unit up, extremely durable, etc.

Here's a video from Shot this year, that will give you a little better details on both.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AV6Fz-Y290

Feel free to PM or email if you have any questions about them. BNVDs as low as $6800. right now on sale!
View Quote
Wow! I cant believe I managed to miss that. I really thought my google skills were on point...
Anyways, I really appreciate the information! As far as auto vs manual gain, I do live in a relatively metropolitan area but do have access to remote mountain trails and camping areas. From the few posts I read on auto v. manual, do you see the auto only gain on the DTNVS as an issue? From my understanding manual is really good for light transitions/sudden bursts of light ie car lights and such.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 11:39:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 2:25:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Manual gain control allows you to control the gain yourself. Auto gain aka no gain control you have no control over the gain.

With modern WP tubes of any variety, the ability to turn DOWN the gain on the unit is highly valuable IMO. Once moon phase reaches about half, the units are incredibly bright to view through. You will likely find that you turn DOWN the gain a lot.

Common thinking when new to this is more gain the better. However the higher settings will create more scintillation (the little snow looking stuff) in the  view.
So this is one of those more is not necessarily better type of deals.
View Quote
Ok. So with manual gain being import, especially with me being in a semi metro area, its probably a good idea (also for my wallet) to go with the Night Vision Devices's UL BNVD? From your experience is there any downfall in this setup compared to, say, the actinblack similar models? Again thanks for the info, youve already got my future business for when i scrape enough $$$ together to get whichever nods.

-Ian
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 2:27:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 2:30:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 2:36:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 2:39:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Also in rural areas learning to work the shadows via the tube turned down giving more contrast is a good skill to have.
View Quote
I bounce between very rural and metro areas, so thats something as well to consider. Does manual gain not have autogating? I guess it would make sense for autogating to go with auto gain...
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 2:43:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 3:36:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Two separate things-  think of gain control like the "contrast" knob on old school TVs where you could turn the knob and make the tube brighter or darker.

Autogating for the protection of the tube from high light sources, autogating happens so fast your eye doesn't perceive it unlike the older 2nd gen (etc.) units that would often start to wink out a bit for protection.

They have both.
View Quote
Ok cool. So if im understanding correctly, NVD's UL BNVD SG in unfilmed WP has a manual gain, which I see as useful, and also has autogating, which protects the tubes? I also like the ability to add an external battery pack on these vs the lack on the actinblack DTNVS. Also cheaper by a bit so thats never bad
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 4:13:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 4:44:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Bear in mind those are not L3Harris Unfilmed WP they are thin filmed Elbit. There is a difference.
View Quote
You can get BNVD-ULs with unfilmed L3Harris tubes. I call them the common man's PVS31
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 4:53:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 7:16:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 10:35:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Coming from a "auto gain" BNVD and moving to a BNVD single gain "Not by choice thank you Lamneth you FRIGGIN PRICK, but got an AWESOME deal from an outstanding dealer who stepped up out of kindness" there is value in a single gain. IMHO a manual single gain is great due to you to be able to calm the image down to your liking, allows you to be under NODs longer and since everyones eyes are different or changes over time it really helps and if your lighting environment suddenly changes you can quickly roll the gain knob as you do with an aimpoint to raise or lower the brightness accordingly. An autogain is great for more dynamic situation where you don't want to be dicking with your kit at the worst time.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 10:07:08 AM EDT
[#18]
I don't have anywhere near the experience or knowledge of Augee, but manual gain does have a few advantages outside of the tactical implications. If I'm going to be honest, I'm only shooting maybe 5% of the time I'm wearing NODS. The other 95% I'm wondering around my property and just using them for fun. In those situations, it's nice to dial the gain back until I get the cleanest image possible with no scintillation. When you are stargazing or looking at wildlife, a clean image is more important than being able to see into the darkest crevices of the terrain.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top