Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/13/2018 7:24:22 PM EDT
I have been a long time user of Xtreme Bullets, I found out through a previous thread they filed for Chap 11. I also got my confirmation email today from Xtreme saying not to worry, everything is going to be all right. Not so sure I am sold on this, I know they may deserve a chance. Over the years, I have heard of quite a few people having very slow delivery and bad customer service from Xtreme. I have not had this experience from them, my bullets always arrived in a timely manner. However, I cannot say that about other bullet suppliers I have used over the years. I hate to move away from Xtreme, but the stories keep coming.

Soooo, I am pondering over making a change, I have not really looked into the Blue Bullets or Acme until yesterday. None of the guys I shoot with, use either of the red or blue to reload. I looked into both of them and I am leaning towards Acme at this point What is everyone's experience with each one, Acme or Blue Bullets? Input guys??
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 8:49:11 PM EDT
[#1]
oper28  i hope you don't mind me tagging along in your thread but you might find the info useful also if someone knows.  If I'm out of line just say so i'll delete...

Does anyone know if Blue bullets 230 rn are actualy .451 dia?    I ask because .452 that most others sell don't feed reliably in either of my glock 21 barrels.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 11:39:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I've used Acme before i started casting.  They have quality bullets and while it might not matter to some,  i think the box they come in is really cool.  It's a nice marketing touch that sets them apart.

I have no clue on their shipping,  as i bought them from my LGS.

I never used blue bullets,  so i can't speak to those.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 11:49:22 PM EDT
[#3]
http://www.bayoubullets.net

Cheaper and good quality
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 12:00:24 AM EDT
[#4]
I like acme
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 1:47:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Blues are sized to whatever the typical jacketed diameter is for the caliber, never seen any deviation, they are typically a couple grains heavier than advertised. The "normal" diameter gives less fits if case gauging and cooperate better with short throats. They offer a few free shipping options based on quantity, worst I've had is a 3 day wait, may have been a weekend, usually next day, but they are literally down the road, I went to the shop and picked their brains when I first tried them a few years ago. Good folks, support a lot of USPSA matches, a few shooters, and have some discount and "sponsorship" programs.

Never used ACME.

Have used SNS and Gallant which are Hi-Tek, .001 over. No complaints with either, also support USPSA events.

I usually buy 750-1000 at a time, Blue and Gallant are typically the cheapest when shipping gets factored which is why I haven't ventured out.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 8:44:20 AM EDT
[#6]
I have used quite a few different companies, including Xtreme. I am one of the guys that is not happy with their service and delivery times.

For plated and FMJ bullets, check out Rocky Mountain Reloading (RMR). Great guys, free shipping, AWESOME bullets, and great prices. You can find discount codes around all over the place.

For coated lead, I have tried:

Bayou
SNS
Eggleston
Blue
BBI (Black Bullets International)

Of those, Eggleston were my favorites, but most expensive. I like that the .40 S&W bullets are .401".

Blue, Bayou and SNS are great, and work well, but the BBI bullets are just as good and are less expensive. I have been ordering BBI for a while now, and order in bulk (2,500 at a time). I have gone through about 10,000 now, and have to say that they are my go-to now due to the high price of Eggleston, and the fact that they seem to be on par with Blue, Bayou and SNS which are also slightly more expensive.

Blue bullets are great, although they seem a bit softer than the others to me (it could be my imagination, so no flaming). I tend to back off my crimp die a bit when I use Blue for some reason. Also, the coating that Blue uses comes off on your hand when you load, and you get "Smurf Fingers" pretty bad. It is hard to wash off! I started used a latex glove for my left hand for bullet feeding.

I really like the Bayou and SNS as well, but pricing on the BBI's wins out as they seem pretty similar in quality.

Overall, here is my summary:

Plated or FMJ = RMR
Coated Lead BEST = Eggleston ($$$)
Coated Lead Go-To = BBI
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 8:53:26 AM EDT
[#7]
I like

precision
blue
bayou
SNS
Missouri
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 9:17:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have used quite a few different companies, including Xtreme. I am one of the guys that is not happy with their service and delivery times.

For plated and FMJ bullets, check out Rocky Mountain Reloading (RMR). Great guys, free shipping, AWESOME bullets, and great prices. You can find discount codes around all over the place...
View Quote
Now that I've moved on from Xtreme, Rocky Mountain Reloading is my preferred source of plated bullets.  If you do Facebook they have their own group where people discuss their products and reloading in general.

My only complaint is they don't (currently) produce a plated 158 gr .357 SWC, which was my favorite .357 bullet from Xtreme.  As a replacement, I'm trying out some Falcon bullets.  They are a smaller operation, but were reviewed favorably by Old Painless in a Box 'o Truth post.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 11:07:13 AM EDT
[#9]
For me?  Acme.  Probably some of the best made HiTek coated Ive seen or used.  The coating is absolutely perfect and the weights are really consistent.  Im also in WI, and I like to support home state businesses.

Ive tried Blue Bullets and Missouri Bullet Co.  Nothing wrong with them either, its just that Acme makes a good product for a decent price, and I can generally order in the morning, and have them the next day because Im in state.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 12:25:57 PM EDT
[#10]
I prefer Black Bullets International.  I've shot about 10K of them so far this year alone and they're just fantastic.  Sized properly to .356 as compared to Blues, which are .355 and are not as accurate in my competition guns.  I'm not trying to take a dump on Blues, I know a ton of guys who shoot them.  I just don't prefer them.

Every time I order from BBI, I have a shipping notification in a matter of hours.  Sometimes minutes.  Can't go wrong.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 12:27:19 PM EDT
[#11]
No I do not mind the tag along acman145scp, No Worries. A lot of good info submitted and a lot to look over. I liked to stick with one and was very happy with Xtreme. Now I have to look for more sources. Right now Acme and RMR are in the front, Thanks guys,,,
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 12:48:19 PM EDT
[#12]
No accuracy issues with the Blues being .355 rather than the usual .356 for lead?  Maybe it doesn't matter.  Is .356 the norm because "we've always done it that way?"
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 2:50:35 PM EDT
[#13]
I use Acme & Bayou regularly and am happy with both. Service is very good by both, like the nice wooden boxes Acme comes in.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 6:28:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
No accuracy issues with the Blues being .355 rather than the usual .356 for lead?  Maybe it doesn't matter.  Is .356 the norm because "we've always done it that way?"
View Quote
Every barrel is different.

With lead, in my experience, and from my study of the subject, it's better to err on the side of oversize.

That's why you see some shooters use .357 or even .358 for 9mm.  Of course you won't know for sure unless you take the time to slug your barrel.

If it's just for backyard plinking I doubt it matters.  But I'm trying to maximize accuracy for competition.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 7:31:14 PM EDT
[#15]
I have loaded 10's the thousands of X-treme bullets and have no issues with their shipping or delays.  I order several thousand at a time and reorder when I start to get low.  Besides shipping to Alaska is hit/miss any way.  We have people at the range that use Acme and some other brands of coated bullets.  Acme seem to be OK.  Some of the other brands seem to put out more smoke then others.
I will continues to use X-treme bullets until they no long are in business.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 7:56:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
oper28  i hope you don't mind me tagging along in your thread but you might find the info useful also if someone knows.  If I'm out of line just say so i'll delete...

Does anyone know if Blue bullets 230 rn are actualy .451 dia?    I ask because .452 that most others sell don't feed reliably in either of my glock 21 barrels.
View Quote
That's unusual.

I've fired hundreds of .452" cast hi tek coated through my g21 with no issues.

You have factory barrel?
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 7:58:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Give H&S Bullets a look.

Limited product line, buy high quality, fast shipping,

and low prices.

https://hsbullets.com/shop?olsPage=products
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 9:39:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Give ACME a try.

I use their lead and coated bullets in
45ACP(coated, swc 200gr)
9mm (coated, rn 115gr)
and
45 colt(lead with lr, swc 255gr((as it should be ))

Available local to me so I can't speak to their shipping cost.

I really like these bullets.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 10:37:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I have been a long time user of Xtreme Bullets, I found out through a previous thread they filed for Chap 11. I also got my confirmation email today from Xtreme saying not to worry, everything is going to be all right. Not so sure I am sold on this, I know they may deserve a chance. Over the years, I have heard of quite a few people having very slow delivery and bad customer service from Xtreme. I have not had this experience from them, my bullets always arrived in a timely manner. However, I cannot say that about other bullet suppliers I have used over the years. I hate to move away from Xtreme, but the stories keep coming.

Soooo, I am pondering over making a change, I have not really looked into the Blue Bullets or Acme until yesterday. None of the guys I shoot with, use either of the red or blue to reload. I looked into both of them and I am leaning towards Acme at this point What is everyone's experience with each one, Acme or Blue Bullets? Input guys??
View Quote
I’d bet you could mix (same caliber and weight) them in a mag and get similar groupings to what you’d get using one or the other. I’ve used the blues for years now and they’re gtg though. The acmes look about the same. Black bullets work well too.

A more scientific way would be to ask yourself if you like blue or red coating better.

In all seriousness, try 1k of each. Does one meet PF with less powder? Does one have more rejects in a case gauge?  Is one repeatably more accurate off a rest?  Which is the cheapest and which can you order without paying sales tax?  Does one lead the fuck out of your barrel (cough PRECISION BULLETS cough). Which manufacturer gets them to you the quickest?  Just a few things to consider.

A lot of the guys in my area use blue and/or black bullets. I use blues because they’re the cheapest thing that flies straight.  I never gave much of a shit about shooting .25” groups with a pistol because that just breaks down under speed anyways. I can slow fire 8” plates at 30ish yds pretty consistently with them though and they’ll get me 10-12k of them to me in a week after I order them.
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 1:31:47 AM EDT
[#20]
I've never used acme so I don't know about them. I used Xtreme for a few years, they worked fine but it seemed the prices kept creeping up so I decided to try The Blue Bullets. I like them, they are accurate, cheaper and yse less powder. I use the 125 RN.
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 1:48:05 AM EDT
[#21]
I use blue bullets for my 2 1911's. Really good accuracy.
Been thinking of getting some 9mm blue bullets for my 9mm AR to try out.
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 8:37:15 PM EDT
[#22]
I shoot a lot of Acme 9mm and 45 bullets. They are GTG
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 8:10:41 PM EDT
[#23]
I've shot 30K+ of 9mm and .40 Blue Bullets.  No issues except Smurf fingers.

Use code Stoeger for 5% off.

Haven't found any cheaper either.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top