Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/26/2021 12:14:58 AM EDT
I'm thinking about getting a pellet rifle for shooting targets & vermin if necessary.  

Preferably something on the quieter side.  A rifle I can scope that is accurate enough to make shooting targets fun.  I have a spot on my property where I'd like to set up a 25 yard range.  Is 1/2 minute @ 25 yards doable for a decent pellet rifle.  I read an article that the Gamo CFX was accurate and had enough power for vermin and small game.  Is this a good rifle or are there better choices?
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 1:01:12 AM EDT
[#1]
DO NOT BUY A  Benjamin Trail .177

I might try this one next

I heard RWS34 is good but its hard to find.
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 2:24:17 AM EDT
[#2]
I bit the pellet and bought a RWS m48.
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 3:36:40 AM EDT
[#3]
A couple years ago I bought a Gamo .22 Bone Collector.It's quiet enough and has plenty of power but accuracy has been very disappointing;partly due to the terrible trigger.
I tried 5 or 6 different pellets and all results are poor........
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 10:49:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'm thinking about getting a pellet rifle for shooting targets & vermin if necessary.  

Preferably something on the quieter side.  A rifle I can scope that is accurate enough to make shooting targets fun.  I have a spot on my property where I'd like to set up a 25 yard range.  Is 1/2 minute @ 25 yards doable for a decent pellet rifle.  I read an article that the Gamo CFX was accurate and had enough power for vermin and small game.  Is this a good rifle or are there better choices?
View Quote

What is your budget?  There are plenty of .177 caliber air rifles that are capable of that 1/2 MOA. However they generally are out of the budget for most folks.  When you want to get into higher power levels and larger calibers, the price for the capable guns goes up as well.  Plus, there are the other things you need as well, like a way to fill the pre-charged pneumatic system.  

There are few self contained spring airguns that are capable of that level of precision, but there is still a learning curve on how to hold it.  Also, not all samples of the models that have shown to be this good, are capable.  For example, there are folks that I've shot with who can shoot their personal AirArms TX200 to that level at 25 meters in low to no wind conditions.  However, I cannot do that with mine, though it often shows promise.  

Where I'd start looking for a moderately powered accurate airgun that can still take most small pest critters ethically, would be the various purpose built Field Target airguns.  These tend to have stock features, like knee rests, that do not appeal to me that much.  But, they do generally shoot very well.  For just target shooting, you cannot do much better than 10 meter rifles, even at 25 yards.  

Now, if you are comfortable with 1.5 MOA, then your choices go way up, and the price goes way down as well.
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 7:55:01 PM EDT
[#5]
RWS are great air rifles.

I have a RWS model 54 Air King and a RWS 300R 7 shot.

I don't shoot them as much as I should.

This thread might be the reason to get away from reading and start some doing!
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 9:16:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 3:59:44 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm not a good one to ask cause I will spend your money so fast you will wonder what hit you....

However, I will give you some perspective as a life-long airgun hunter and as someone who has been in serious field target competition with both spring guns and PCP.

A quick background discussion about energy levels... In the USA we limit Field Target guns to an energy level of 20 ft*lbs for standardization and for the safety of the targets. (The UK limit is 12 ft*lbs and some countries go lower due to firearm certifications, for example.) Most popular high performance spring guns will not make 20 ft*lbs, but many PCP guns can easily exceed that level, especially with heavier pellets in larger calibers. A typical 22 LR is about 100 ft*lbs for perspective.

At the 20 ft*lbs level a 177 pellet can be at the edge of transonic depending on it's weight. Some light pellets want to go supersonic at that level. Pellets tend to be more accurate at just below sonic, or well above sonic. Transition is where none seem to do well.

When shopping for an airgun, don't get distracted by adds with velocity claims if they don't specify the pellet weight in the same breath. Adds are designed for the uninitiated that get distracted easily. Pay attention to the energy level and caliber. Pellets tend to gather into buckets of light or heavy for caliber. Some spring guns will do well with both, and some tend to want one or the other. The longer your shots, the more you will probably want to consider the heavier ends of the pellet weight range. For shots in side 25 yards, it probably doesn't matter.

If the majority of your use will be inside your yard or house, you can find some very handy SSP (single stroke pneumatic) guns in either pistol or rifle configurations that are very accurate and easy to live with. Just remember they tend to be low energy when it comes to dispatching pests. Generally the rest of the designs are either spring or PCP (pre charged pneumatic).

Hunting with an airgun in most jurisdictions has not been energy limited, but many have outright restrictions on airguns, so do your homework to make sure you are okay. In today's culture, you could find yourself in trouble for just looking at a rat let alone shooting one in some places....

The performance point that starts to divide "hard" target courses from "easy" courses is a 1" target at 40 yards. I could explain what that rating means at length, but let's just say that there are many people who cannot hit that target with a spring gun with any reliability under time pressure from a body supported position. We use that as a rough dividing line when ranking course difficulty so it isn't anything other than a good perspective. Spring guns are an addictive challenge.

This value is a good talking point since it represents the combination of man and machine and the importance of explaining that spring guns are often difficult to master. Not to say I would ever talk you out of a spring gun because I am a spring gun addict myself. It is just to help give you a perspective on a practical level of what to expect from a spring gun discussion. Stronger spring guns are notorious for wrecking scopes. The shape and duration of their recoil impulse makes them more destructive to scope internals than one would assume. Make sure you "filter" any scope selection to those recommended for spring air guns.

PCP guns eliminate some of the technique learning curve, but they are also dependent on a supply of high pressure air. Those supplies take the form of storage tanks and high pressure pumps that are an added expense to consider. PCP guns are much easier to master from a recoil and hold technique view point, so for those that can afford it they are much easier to master. They are also typically easier to tune to a pellet when they include those features. With spring guns, first order tuning amounts to experimenting with pellets since you can't really "dial" the energy levels.

So, you should remember that spring guns versus PCP have a serious trade off. They are so different that for some folks that trade off is easy. This trade off just depends on your personal situation and budget.

There is much overlap in prices when you get away from low budget spring guns, meaning I have spring airguns that cost several thousands, and some PCP guns and bottles which cost less. But in general an introductory PCP set-up will run more when the costs of the bottles and getting compressed air are factored in. A cooperative fire station or local dive shop can solve the high pressure air problem. A spring gun can eliminate that problem.

If you like to be free of refilling from tanks and pumps and you are okay with mastering the hold technique of a spring gun, then that is the way to look at it. If you can handle to expense of the bottles and pumps, then PCP gets you more performance and your choices of power level are more "adjustable".

Several of the airgun specialty web sites make the shopping easy, with filters and budget controls that sort choices out fast.

I won't make any particular recommendations without warning you that I am picky about spring guns as well as my PCP guns.

If you are asking about an heirloom quality, family friendly spring gun that won't fall apart and is low powered, I will recommend an R7 any day of the week. I have gifted many over my lifetime and every one of them has become their owner's favorite. https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Beeman_R7_Elite_Series_Combo/1561

Got more budget, consider a HW97 or TX200, but don't say you were not warned about the addiction. These are not department store junk, and are priced accordingly. They come in several caliber choices depending on your taste. Nothing wrong with 177 or 22 for starting out and that makes pellet availability easier too. https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Weihrauch_HW97K_Air_Rifle/829
https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Air_Arms_TX200_MkIII_Air_Rifle/174#514

In a PCP, I would still recommend a Benjamin Marauder for entry level, but there are cheaper options as well.
https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Benjamin_Marauder_Mrod_Air_Rifle_Combo/3541

Any one of these are overkill for shots inside of 25 yards on pests, even the R7.

Even this would fit the bill for backyard pest control and target fun...
https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Beeman_P17/614

I would say my usual... life can be short, so get both...

Link Posted: 3/28/2021 4:14:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Almost every pellet rifle is accurate, even the cheap ones ! The thing you have to do is find the certain pellet shape and weight your rifle shoots best out of the hundreds available from various companies.
I picked up a Gamo bone collector on clearance from Walmart for $20 a couple years ago that is just as accurate as my FWB 124D with the proper pellet.
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 11:09:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Accurate? I love my new Beeman R7... my first real pellet rifle. I scoped it and it is so much fun to able to shoot when I want (suburbs).
I have a rack full of pellet pistols also which fills the gap for fun.
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 2:09:31 PM EDT
[#10]
I guess I should have given a price range.  I'd say $200 is a hard max.  From what I'm reading that really limits the possibilities but it is what is.  This is just an idea I had to scratch the itch I can't reach at the moment due to ammo availability.  Or, more accurately, the lack thereof.
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 3:54:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Brandi, That fills in your story and is important. I'm sympathetic and understand. My comments about me spending your money so fast your head would spin were true, but I didn't start my life that way.

That single stroke pneumatic pistol I linked is a hoot and very accurate to start with. If reasonable care is given, they are also durable and easy to maintain compared to their cost.

Right now, you have to be prepared to hunt things down and not get discouraged when things show out of stock.

Get your plans together for a pellet trap, it doesn't have to cost anything. One can be made of a cardboard box and an old phone books and news papers if necessary.

Just be sure little ones and the dust from that box don't mix cause there can be lead dust if you run lots of pellets before you clean up.

Grab anything you can find and get started, you will only regret the time you lost or didn't spend with the kids or loved ones plinking and chewing fat, you won't regret spending time plinking with an air pistol or break barrel rifle.

Those web sites can sort according to budgets as well as other parameters, so I would go see what you can find.

Having this set up down a safe hallway or garage, is about like having a dart board out and ready. It isn't expensive and a great skill builder at that.

https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Beeman_P17/614
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 5:21:04 PM EDT
[#12]
I'll take your $44 Beeman P17 link and get you the Model 2004 (Marked P17 on the side) for $33 shipped.
I have bought three of these. Easily the best pellet pistol for the money. I put a POS red dot on it and can hit cans at 25 yards off hand.

A MUST HAVE PISTOL
I'll add, probably not the easiest break action one-pump pistol for say... under 12-years-old to operate.

Beeman P17 Model 2004 Amazon $33
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 8:54:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I have one in .22. 6" groups at 25 yards.  Terrible.  I'm going to try a different optic to see if it's the scope, as springer recoil can break anything.  I did the trigger job from the airgun forums, so that's better, but my opinion is that a break barrel, with a scope mounted on the receiver is a poor system, since you move the barrel and re-seat it for each shot.  Just inherently a bad idea.  I'm looking for an affordable fixed-barrel underlever or sidelever to try.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 9:55:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I have one in .22. 6" groups at 25 yards.  Terrible.  I'm going to try a different optic to see if it's the scope, as springer recoil can break anything.  I did the trigger job from the airgun forums, so that's better, but my opinion is that a break barrel, with a scope mounted on the receiver is a poor system, since you move the barrel and re-seat it for each shot.  Just inherently a bad idea.  I'm looking for an affordable fixed-barrel underlever or sidelever to try.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<-- no expert... My Beeman R7 break action is dead on accurate. This may be due to the quality for rifle. I'll add, several senior members at AGN attest to the accuracy of good quality break action pellet rifles.
I am careful to break and cock in a consistent non-violent manor.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 9:48:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 11:03:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
My 2260MB was printing nickel sized groups at 25 yards first time out. Mounted up a Truglo 4x32 airgun scope and we were set.

https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Sheridan_2260MB_CO2_Rifle/3409

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/91277/Sheridan_2260MB-1903993.jpg
View Quote

This is another CO2-powered rifle accurate right out of the box. Mine was $99 deliverd a few years ago.
https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Beeman_QB78_Deluxe_CO2_Air_Rifle/4120#Reviews
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 1:10:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 5:26:13 PM EDT
[#18]
How many good shots do you get out of a Co2 cartridge?  My M&P pistol seems to last a good amount of time per cylinder but I suspect the rifles use significantly more gas?
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 5:49:13 PM EDT
[#19]
How come no one is recommending a gas piston, instead of a spring piston rifle? I've heard that they're more forgiving on the hold than the springers.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 6:09:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 6:12:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
My 2260MB was printing nickel sized groups at 25 yards first time out. Mounted up a Truglo 4x32 airgun scope and we were set.

https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Sheridan_2260MB_CO2_Rifle/3409

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/91277/Sheridan_2260MB-1903993.jpg
View Quote

You can pop the front sight off of that and stick on a moderator. Makes it super quiet.

https://ssl.tko22.com/
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 6:17:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 9:45:30 AM EDT
[#23]
@Brandi, hard max of $200, here's an RWS model 34 for that amount.
RWS 34

Link Posted: 4/19/2021 10:19:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Check out a Daisy Powerline 853.  I used to compete in 3 position matches with one.  Accurate enough to put pellets in the same hole all day long at 10 meters if you do your part.  Did a lot of pest control with it too, to include a couple groundhogs (at fairly close range).  Bagged a pile of squirrels as well.
On the used market, they can be had for well under $200.

Steer clear of break action spring air rifles.  Some are pretty powerful, but accuracy is terrible.  By nature, the action is not "repeatable."  In 6 years competing I never saw a break action take home a ribbon.  They suck.  A 400 fps pellet that finds it's mark is superior to a 800 fps pellet that missed.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 4:35:18 PM EDT
[#25]
I have a RWS 48 in .22 and a RWS 34 in .177.  Both are very nice with the 48 being a bit on the heavy side. I put some Nikon rimfire AO scopes on them.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 10:59:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Hmm...ok, a lot of good recommendations.  I'll keep looking and see what I find with all this in mind.  Thanks
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 10:22:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
How come no one is recommending a gas piston, instead of a spring piston rifle? I've heard that they're more forgiving on the hold than the springers.
View Quote

I converted my Gamo spring gun to a gas piston and installed a suppressor.  Really a nice quiet and accurate shooting gun.  But then I bought a Benjamin Marauder PCP .22 with the Lothar Walther barrel.  Game changer hands down.  
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 10:30:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I converted my Gamo spring gun to a gas piston and installed a suppressor.  Really a nice quiet and accurate shooting gun.  But then I bought a Benjamin Marauder PCP .22 with the Lothar Walther barrel.  Game changer hands down.  
View Quote
To convert to a gas piston gun you remove the spring and replace it with a gas strut like the ones that hold your cars hood or hatchback open.  Pretty simple but it removes the hash spring unloading.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top