Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Posted: 2/20/2020 10:51:20 PM EDT
What type of accuracy might one expect hand loading Lake City ball ammo? I am a long time reloaded but a relative newbie to this platform.
Thanks
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 2:42:01 AM EDT
[#1]
I've wondered the same, especially compared to surplus ammo with this projectile.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 6:19:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 7:08:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Wish I could find a source for pulled M33 somewhere that wasn't subject to ITAR restrictions - been after some for a few years now

PITA being a non-conus buyer for shooting kit
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 11:57:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 9:58:51 PM EDT
[#5]
I wouldn't use Reloader 50 with M-33's.  I had accuracy issues with that powder @220 grains behind M-33's using once fired LC cases.  I believe that Reloader 50 is a better choice for heaver bullets like 750 and up.  Lee also make a .510 sizing die for cheap and I have sized over 1,000 bullets with success.  I run mine through several times and have had no issues with the Lee setup.  Watch out for temperature sensitive powders...unless that's what you want...but most casual shooters do not...myself included.  Good accuracy can be achieved with M-33's.....heck....at the right temperature....my API's are tack drivers using WC 867.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 10:24:56 PM EDT
[#6]
This go around will be New LC m33 ball ammo. Wc860 powder and various brass. Both used LC and Once fired PMC brass.  Thanks for the feedback!
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 11:17:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 9:41:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Start with weight sorting the projectiles
cull out the heavy's and the lite's and work with a closer weight group to eliminate some of the fliers
you'll find there a wide range of acceptable mil-spec projectiles
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 10:28:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Is there a way to lighten the heavy projectiles?. These are boat tail bullets with exposed lead core at base. TIA!!
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 11:16:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 2:33:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
@Saddler

Have you guys tried turning your own on a CNC screw machine? A couple of guys that I shoot with had a run of about 25K done years ago out of brass in the shape of M33 projos. They came out about 100 grs heavier and out shot standard M33 like night and day!

I know there are quite a few .50 shooters on the other side of the pond, if enough guys pitched in and did a run big enough, you might be able to get them made cheap. Might even help if one of the shooters is a machinist with access to the right machines.

I think I still have some loaded ammo with those bullets in them. I'll have to check and post a picture of them, if MrBen sees this post, he might have some loose ones laying around his shop that he could post a pic of.
View Quote
Someone in the UK makes turned solid .50-cal bullets
For my purposes they cost about 4 to 5 times what I was wanting to sell the completed dummy rounds for

May look into casting some then copper-washing them = but again, set up costs are going to be beyond nuts!

WAITING for the ITAR rules to return to sanity....it's not that long ago that there were next to no restrictions on ordering brass & bullets from the US
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 2:56:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Someone in the UK makes turned solid .50-cal bullets
For my purposes they cost about 4 to 5 times what I was wanting to sell the completed dummy rounds for

May look into casting some then copper-washing them = but again, set up costs are going to be beyond nuts!

WAITING for the ITAR rules to return to sanity....it's not that long ago that there were next to no restrictions on ordering brass & bullets from the US
View Quote

I havent been able to find any pulled  fmj's to even buy in years. And ammo is so cheap i just buy it. I have a good bit of api but its not a plinking ammo but i get about 1 - 1.5 moa out of it. I did some horanady amaxs and at my 100 yard range it was just one hole. But even those are crazy expensive and really not needed to just bang steel
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top