Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/4/2021 11:59:43 AM EDT
I’ve got an opportunity to pick up a used SP5k PDW for much less than msrp. I have no experience with these guns.  What should I be looking for to make sure it’s in good working order?  Any reason not to jump on this?
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 12:05:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
View Quote

This isn't GD
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 12:09:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I really don’t know much about them but it seems like the demand is pretty high so if you don’t like it you can send it down the road.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 12:17:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

This isn't GD
View Quote

Right, I came to the HK forum for info, but thanks for playing.  This isn’t GD, so why are you commenting without giving any relevant information?
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 12:20:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Considering their recent release date, and HK's lack of issues that plague some clone manufacturers, I'd say just the overall condition of the gun (finish), and completeness of original accessories .

The odds of canted sight bases, loose magwells, or bad bolt gap are gonna be non-existent on a newish HK
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 12:23:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Considering their recent release date, and HK's lack of issues that plague some clone manufacturers, I'd say just the overall condition of the gun (finish), and completeness of original accessories .

The odds of canted sight bases, loose magwells, or bad bolt gap are gonna be non-existent on a newish HK
View Quote

That’s good to hear.  I’ve always stayed away from the clones because of different issues I read about and didn’t want to get involved in something that always needs to be worked on.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 12:29:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Couldn't go wrong with it I don't think... Like others have stated, the demand is through the roof for one.

But by much lower than MSRP, are we talking 15-20% lower or just 5% lower? Also, do you know what the round count is on the gun?
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 12:32:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Couldn't go wrong with it I don't think... Like others have stated, the demand is through the roof for one.

But by much lower than MSRP, are we talking 15-20% lower or just 5% lower? Also, do you know what the round count is on the gun?
View Quote

Don’t know about the round count.  About 50% of msrp.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 12:33:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Don’t wait. Buy now.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 12:37:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Hurry up and buy was my first thought, then I got to thinking about why it was available for that price.  Either they’re lying and it’s got a major problem or it’s a hell of a deal, I just don’t know enough to be certain it doesn’t have any issues other than taking the sellers word for it.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 12:44:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 1:02:29 PM EDT
[#11]
If it's too good to be true it probably is. I would be very wary OP, not just of the gun itself, but of other ways this could be a scam. Are you buying face-to-face or over the internet?
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 1:09:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If it's too good to be true it probably is. I would be very wary OP, not just of the gun itself, but of other ways this could be a scam. Are you buying face-to-face or over the internet?
View Quote

This. Please tell us you're buying from a reputable source.  If you are not sure, you really need to ask yourself if the risk is worth the reward.  FTF is preferred if you have no means of assessing the person, like feedback.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 1:10:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Face to face and I’ll be making sure we meet in a gun shop or somewhere similar
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 1:12:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Excellent!  In that case, go inspect, then BUY BUY BUY.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 1:12:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Please tell us you're buying from a reputable source.  If you are not sure, you really need to ask yourself if the rick is worth the reward.
View Quote

It’s an individual, so I can’t check em out on the BBB.  The rick is worth the reward from what I can tell, but who knows anymore in this world.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 1:17:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

As long as they agree to meet somewhere like a gun shop then I would tentatively buy. Watch a few youtube videos about disassembly and try to cram as much knowledge into your head as you can.

But you never know, my friend got an Ed Brown 1911 for $500 bucks. Some poor widow sold it for what her late husband told her he paid for it I guess
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 1:27:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Just do it!  Even if something is wrong, is there a warranty from HK?  And if not, repair costs can't be that bad.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 1:40:10 PM EDT
[#18]
If it's real it's a no brainer.  

Is it a factory PDW or an SP5K with a barrel and paddle added?  Either way at 50% of MSRP you can't go wrong.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 1:41:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Careful. No one sells that gun at 50% MSRP unless it's fake or they are on crack. I'd recommend taking someone who knows the firearm and can tell you what's wrong with it. If it's legit, don't buy it. Give the guy my number . . . I just want to say hi. That's all.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 1:44:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Careful. No one sells that gun at 50% MSRP unless it's fake or they are on crack. I'd recommend taking someone who knows the firearm and can tell you what's wrong with it. If it's legit, don't buy it. Give the guy my number . . . I just want to say hi. That's all.
View Quote

Will do!  I’m sure they’d love to hear from you
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 1:44:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

As long as they agree to meet somewhere like a gun shop then I would tentatively buy. Watch a few youtube videos about disassembly and try to cram as much knowledge into your head as you can.

But you never know, my friend got an Ed Brown 1911 for $500 bucks. Some poor widow sold it for what her late husband told her he paid for it I guess
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All of this, OP. And do report back on the outcome, please!
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 1:58:50 PM EDT
[#22]
I apologize, I thought my reply adequately relayed what I was trying to say.  I wasnt aware any form of humor was not allowed, live and learn I suppose.  But based on demand and what they go for on the secondary market, I would be wary of anyone willing to part with one for any substantial discount.  If it is an actual newly released sp5k-pdw with no issues and 50% off, congrats on winning the lottery.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 2:05:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I apologize, I thought my reply adequately relayed what I was trying to say.  I wasnt aware any form of humor was not allowed, live and learn I suppose.  But based on demand and what they go for on the secondary market, I would be wary of anyone willing to part with one for any substantial discount.  If it is an actual newly released sp5k-pdw with no issues and 50% off, congrats on winning the lottery.
View Quote

Ah, I see your comment must have been deleted.  I thought you were telling me this isn’t GD.  I retract my response to you.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 3:03:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

It sounds like a deal too good to be true in my opinion... But it is still worth checking out.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 5:13:45 PM EDT
[#25]
I know it’s been stated multiple times but 50% of msrp  is not good deal territory it’s shady territory. I would be extremely suspicious.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 5:33:02 PM EDT
[#26]
It was a scam
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 5:33:26 PM EDT
[#27]
That gun, in this market, at that price? Something is very fucky
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 5:34:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
It was a scam
View Quote

Not the least bit surprising. Info?
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 5:42:23 PM EDT
[#29]
It was all good, discussed setting up a time and place and then all of a sudden couldn’t meet, but they would ship it.  Too good to be true, which isn’t surprising, but  I don’t regret looking into it. Would’ve been awesome if it was a real deal.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 6:31:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 6:43:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Not surprised - what was the asking price?
View Quote

$1500

Got me suckered in because the gun was clearly not brand new, but not abused from the pics, and it was pics in someone’s home and not stock images.  I suppose I could have done an image search to see if they pulled them off the internet.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 6:50:47 PM EDT
[#32]
If you can seriously and safely get one for around $1500 thats a no brainer. It sounds like a scam to be honest. I would not touch it....the PDW is going for around $5000...why would someone sell one for a fraction of that?

Edit: Nvm just saw it was a scam
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 6:59:48 PM EDT
[#33]
The real crime here is that I’ve now spent half my day learning a little about these and want one.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 9:53:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Post the pics if you can so we can rat the bastard out if he posts somewhere again.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 11:29:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Post the pics if you can so we can rat the bastard out if he posts somewhere again.
View Quote

Great minds.  The post/pics is gone.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 11:31:33 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
The real crime here is that I’ve now spent half my day learning a little about these and want one.
View Quote

Here you go, have fun.
GB Auction
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 2:33:18 PM EDT
[#37]
That’s the kind of price that keeps me out of ever thinking about owning one.  That’s new NVG money.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 5:08:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
That’s the kind of price that keeps me out of ever thinking about owning one.  That’s new NVG money.
View Quote

I wanted one to round off my collection and bought in for around $3800...I would normally never overpay for something that much but I have all the other HKs so I needed it to complete
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 10:03:56 PM EDT
[#39]
If you have to scratch the Itch the PTR models can be found in the 1800-2k range
The HK is great but they are outrageous in price on secondary market.  I’m only a sample of one but I love my PTR and have had no issues with it
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 9:10:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
It was a scam
View Quote
Thought so. Good job not taking the bait. If ever there was something to attach to a hook, MP5 is it.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 2:38:57 PM EDT
[#41]
I had a similar thing happen, OP. Guy on Armslist says he has one for sale in the Atlanta area for $2300. We text back and forth and come to find out he’s about as south in GA as one can get. He replies with some bullshit about shipping when I ask if we can meet in the center of the state and ghosts when I ask for more pics. Fucking scammer scumbags.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 3:06:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I had a similar thing happen, OP. Guy on Armslist says he has one for sale in the Atlanta area for $2300. We text back and forth and come to find out he’s about as south in GA as one can get. He replies with some bullshit about shipping when I ask if we can meet in the center of the state and ghosts when I ask for more pics. Fucking scammer scumbags.
View Quote

I usually just tell them I or someone else is happy to meet them wherever they are. I wish they’d all just piss off.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 10:28:12 PM EDT
[#43]
What % of Armslist posts are scams would you guys guess?

80? More?
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 11:20:36 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
What % of Armslist posts are scams would you guys guess?

80? More?
View Quote

Now that you have to be a member to view and post I have no idea.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 5:59:50 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Now that you have to be a member to view and post I have no idea.
View Quote

They are still on there, trust me. If you have a high dollar gun for sale, they will try and email you about it. I can't believe they pay $7 a month to try and scam people.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 7:11:02 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

This guy said he was only available to meet that day on a short turnaround.  As soon as I said I’d take a half day and drive down he suddenly wasn’t available.
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 10:59:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Trap
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 3:42:31 PM EDT
[#48]
Sorry man that sucks. I’ve had a IM on here when someone used my pics on arms list. Told them it was a scam so it happens a good bit. On the note the sp5k is a really fun gun if you can find a replacement.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 12:00:45 AM EDT
[#49]
Ever since Armslist stopped letting free users post, these scammers have started hitting forums and gunbroker more noticeably.

Fortunately the EE here has been mostly free of them, since the site doesn't let people register with free/throwaway emails.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 4:25:07 PM EDT
[#50]
on armslist, 80% scams and 20% wildly overpriced...  I thought backpage sucked, who knew those were the good ole days.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top