Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/8/2019 1:06:36 PM EDT
Looking at TNV PVS-14 L3 GEN3 OMNI VIII monocle...

What says you? Will be mounted on a Team Wendy LTP. Yeah, I know - Team Hillary, but it’s what I have and it’s still a good bump helmet. Onwards - Will there be ragrets if I don’t go WP Un-Filmed? Primary role will be Home Defense with both Pistol and Rifle. Obviously I’ll be doing some exercises with it to get accustomed to it. What I’m concerned with is the inevitable bumps that’ll occur.
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 1:09:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 1:14:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Looking at TNV PVS-14 L3 GEN3 OMNI VIII monocle...

What says you? Will be mounted on a Team Wendy LTP. Yeah, I know - Team Hillary, but it’s what I have and it’s still a good bump helmet. Onwards - Will there be ragrets if I don’t go WP Un-Filmed? Primary role will be Home Defense with both Pistol and Rifle. Obviously I’ll be doing some exercises with it to get accustomed to it. What I’m concerned with is the inevitable bumps that’ll occur.
View Quote
Honestly, I’d forget home defense with NODs — unless you’re talking about engaging threats outside your home, in which case I’d just move.

That said, if you can scrape the extra bucks together, go with buy-once, cry-once and get WP. If that’s simply NOT possible, the GP Omni VIII is a shameless alternative.

In most home invasions, there just isn’t enough time to get your NODs on, power up, get your gun, and go confront intruders. Just grab a handgun/rifle/shotgun with blinding white light and go. In close quarters you want maximum FOV and that 40* circle just ain’t enough. Engaging threats, especially in CQB, is hard enough under good visible light. It’s 100x harder under NODs.

Defending your abode under NODs in the dark is highly inadvisable.

Just my $0.02 in a world where pennies are worthless.
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 1:40:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Sound advice.
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 1:42:21 PM EDT
[#4]
I would think bright weapon lights would be much more ideal in home defense.

Although I have had dreams of flipping the breaker off and turning into the boogeyman
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 1:45:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Although I have had dreams of flipping the breaker off and turning into the boogeyman
View Quote
Who hasn’t? In my dreams, I use a knife.

Tier-Zero operators use knives.

I am TIER-ZERO!
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 2:02:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 2:04:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Who hasn’t? In my dreams, I use a knife.

Tier-Zero operators use knives.

I am TIER-ZERO!
View Quote
Guns for show. Knives for a pro.
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 2:11:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
My new mantra. Need a patch with that on it.
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 2:11:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Me, surfacing from the murky depths of the swamp in my living room to exterminate home invaders.

Link Posted: 8/8/2019 2:29:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Me, surfacing from the murky depths of the swamp in my living room to exterminate home invaders.

https://i.gifer.com/embedded/download/38D9.gif
View Quote
You have a hot tub in your living room?
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 7:44:10 PM EDT
[#11]
At my urban home, I use weapon lights.  The ranch house, nods.  A 10 minute discussion with the guys at TNVC put me on the right direction for the ranch optics.
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 8:35:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
I have been to many a gunfight and many a knife fight, and I have never been to a knife fight where everybody missed
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 8:42:52 PM EDT
[#13]
NODs are for the boogaloo
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 11:16:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
Never met him...
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 11:35:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Anyone have a TNVC coupon code?
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 12:08:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 1:18:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yes. Use “HORTA50” at checkout for 50% off twice the price.

It’s good for ALL purchases at TNVC. No limit, and can be used in conjunction with other offers.
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 1:26:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
PM with what exactly your needing. Thank you.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Message sent
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 1:31:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

It’s good for ALL purchases at TNVC. No limit, and can be used in conjunction with other offers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That’s almost too good to be true!

ETA: Hey! Wait a second...
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 3:48:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
This.  My NODs are for 'home defense' in the sense of natural disaster aftermath type of 'happening', overwatch on lookout for Lootie type of role.
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 3:52:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
On a related note, I got a coupon code from CS email when I asked about the arfcom discount.  Is that a "hold on to that, it's the standard arfcom code" thing to reuse for future orders, or a one-time individually generated thing?  Not going to post/share, just wondering if I need to email CS again if I make more orders.
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 3:56:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 7:59:42 PM EDT
[#23]
@TNVC

Order placed. Looking forward to it and thanks.
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 8:03:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
@TNVC

Order placed. Looking forward to it and thanks.
View Quote
What'd you buy?
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 8:05:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

What'd you buy?
View Quote
PVS-14 L3 filmless WP and Wilcox mount

ETA: I’m so stoked
Link Posted: 8/17/2019 12:38:29 AM EDT
[#26]
This is going to be a long 2 or 3 months...
Link Posted: 8/17/2019 3:38:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Is the standard build time 2 - 3 months with TNVC? I'm looking at upgrading my nods. Going with either the DTNVG or RNVGs L3 WP.

Looking at taking a class in January, could still do my old set up, but it would be fun to use the new gear.

Sorry for the thread hi-jack, but this would help with decision timing.
Link Posted: 8/17/2019 4:46:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Is the standard build time 2 - 3 months with TNVC? I'm looking at upgrading my nods. Going with either the DTNVG or RNVGs L3 WP.

Looking at taking a class in January, could still do my old set up, but it would be fun to use the new gear.

Sorry for the thread hi-jack, but this would help with decision timing.
View Quote
That’s what I’m guessing. May be longer, maybe sooner?
Link Posted: 8/17/2019 4:50:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 10:46:42 AM EDT
[#30]
Patience is a virtue, right?

ETA: Not rushing...just saying - My body is ready.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 11:33:06 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
@SIASL

If you’re jonesing for a fix, drive across the border to my place in AL and I’ll hook you up with some cools stuff for some nighttime playtime.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 2:36:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
@SIASL

If you’re jonesing for a fix, drive across the border to my place in AL and I’ll hook you up with some cools stuff for some nighttime playtime.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@SIASL

That’s a mighty fine offer and maybe one day I’ll take it up.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 8:51:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

That’s a mighty fine offer and maybe one day I’ll take it up.
View Quote
What part of GA? been trying to find people with NV and land to go shoot and hunt on...I even have a loaner PVS-14 but no one wants to shell out $$ for a wilcox g24 to mount it :(
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 10:28:02 PM EDT
[#34]
If you have money, dont half ass it. Go feet first and get RNVGS or Sentinels.
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 6:05:59 PM EDT
[#35]
While I would have liked RNVG for the aluminum housing I decided to stay with a monocular. I did however opt for the L3 unfilmed WP. Maybe TNVC will see fit to offer an aluminum PVS-14 housing in the future?
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 6:33:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
While I would have liked RNVG for the aluminum housing I decided to stay with a monocular. I did however opt for the L3 unfilmed WP. Maybe TNVC will see fit to offer an aluminum PVS-14 housing in the future?
View Quote
that would be sweet if they could keep the weight down. the machining costs would probably put the cost of an aluminum PVS-14 around the same cost as a set of duals though.
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 8:25:20 PM EDT
[#37]
What are my flip cap options? Butler Creek? Will an Aimpoint flip cap work?
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 8:38:52 PM EDT
[#38]
A few backyard potato pics. It’s a potato so doesn’t do anywhere near justice. Trees, shop, stars...

Link Posted: 10/17/2019 8:41:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Mannnn, I’m dying to pull the trigger on my first NV mono. I’m tempted to grab something similar in WP but I get hung up on not being able to make binos with the green pvs14 that will inevitably follow.
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 8:58:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Mannnn, I’m dying to pull the trigger on my first NV mono. I’m tempted to grab something similar in WP but I get hung up on not being able to make binos with the green pvs14 that will inevitably follow.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I have serious doubts I’ll ever want duals as I’m very satisfied with my monocular*. It definitely makes me chuckle when using it. It’s the kind of satisfied I feel when there’s no after-purchase regrets. Job well done @TNVC.

ETA: *But, I do believe I’ll be going fusion soon enough.
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 9:08:29 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Mannnn, I'm dying to pull the trigger on my first NV mono. I'm tempted to grab something similar in WP but I get hung up on not being able to make binos with the green pvs14 that will inevitably follow.
View Quote
I wouldn't get too hung up on, I ran green and WP side by side for many nights to compare tubes and your eyes more or less go with the color over the dominant eye. The difference between tube colors with both eyes open was not significant IMO
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 5:21:22 AM EDT
[#42]
What shoe will be required in order to retain the auto-on/off feature should I get a Wilcox G24 Mount? And is that all that’ll be needed to use that mount?
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 9:10:20 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 10:16:01 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
If you want to save yourself a whole lot of frustration and failed attempts and trial and error only to end-up with a lot of crap you don’t need and sub-optimal function, I would just forget about the auto ON/OFF function now.

It’s not particularly reliable in the best of cases.

The solution to your auto ON/OFF woes is two 1/2”x1/2” pieces of electrical tape and learning to work your knob.

~Augee
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What shoe will be required in order to retain the auto-on/off feature should I get a Wilcox G24 Mount? And is that all that’ll be needed to use that mount?
If you want to save yourself a whole lot of frustration and failed attempts and trial and error only to end-up with a lot of crap you don’t need and sub-optimal function, I would just forget about the auto ON/OFF function now.

The solution to your auto ON/OFF woes is two 1/2”x1/2” pieces of electrical tape and learning to work your knob.

~Augee
Augee is 100% correct.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 10:20:14 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

~Augee
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

~Augee
Saving myself headaches is always a good thing. What mount beyond the G24 would be “Go-To” for PVS-14 mono?
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 10:46:56 AM EDT
[#46]
I believe the INVG/DDA combo is considered the gold standard for mono pvs-14 setups on the Norotos side.
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 6:50:05 PM EDT
[#47]
Would you or wouldn’t you?

It’s a slightly loose fit but I think a little felt tape or Velcro loop tape would snug it up very well. The cap seems to seal very well.
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 8:00:36 PM EDT
[#48]
A potato of grass with cap closed with new pin hole.

Link Posted: 10/26/2019 10:54:24 AM EDT
[#49]
Would a remote battery pack be available for the PVS-14?
Link Posted: 10/26/2019 12:02:20 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Would a remote battery pack be available for the PVS-14?
View Quote
Why would you want one? The PVS14 has like a 60 hour battery life on a single AA. That would just be an unnecessary expense I would think.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top