Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/6/2021 11:33:36 PM EDT
Greetings all -
I am planning on bringing home a new 16 this week. Also hoping to get clarification on a couple things.

1. Optic height - it seems like SCAR users are all over the place on this. Especially with something like an Aimpoint. What's the ideal height, or is it literally user-preference, or based on the stock being used?  I'd like to assume I'll keep the oem stock for now.
2. SBR / barrel lengths - it seems as if it's easier and / or less costly to have the barrel cut than to replace it with a factory shorter one. Correct?  I definitely want this to be a SBR.  The stock version looks like the barrel is 3' long!
3. Pistol grips - based on what I'm seeing at Parker Mountain Machine, AR grips are semi-compatible as long as they're altered to fit? Is there a supplier of grips that is "designed" for the SCAR? Or is PMM the way to go to use Magpul grips?
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 11:54:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Greetings all -
I am planning on bringing home a new 16 this week. Also hoping to get clarification on a couple things.

1. Optic height - it seems like SCAR users are all over the place on this. Especially with something like an Aimpoint. What's the ideal height, or is it literally user-preference, or based on the stock being used?  I'd like to assume I'll keep the oem stock for now.
2. SBR / barrel lengths - it seems as if it's easier and / or less costly to have the barrel cut than to replace it with a factory shorter one. Correct?  I definitely want this to be a SBR.  The stock version looks like the barrel is 3' long!
3. Pistol grips - based on what I'm seeing at Parker Mountain Machine, AR grips are semi-compatible as long as they're altered to fit? Is there a supplier of grips that is "designed" for the SCAR? Or is PMM the way to go to use Magpul grips?
View Quote

1) Optic height is generally like you would use on an AR.  If you like lower 1/3 cowitness with irons on an AR, the SCAR will feel the same, at least it does for me.
2) Sometimes you can snag a gently used 14 or 10 inch 5.56 barrel but right now not many out there and they aren’t super cheap with the market like it is.  Cutting the 16” down is likely your cheapest option.
3) Pistol grips- on one of my SCARS, I filed about 1/16” off the bottom part of the pistol grip support (could have been 1/8” now that I think about it) and that made the lower work with everything.  Lowers/trigger modules aren’t dirt cheap, but they are easy to get,  I have so many different AR pistol grips that this was the way I wanted to go.  Otherwise, ERGO makes a SCAR specific grip and PMM mods Magpul grips as you already know.
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 12:26:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Greetings all -
I am planning on bringing home a new 16 this week
View Quote

just dont, over priced and the only reason people want them is because some were in the wild.
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 12:58:46 AM EDT
[#3]
AU has one that comes with a extra short barrel right now
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 2:08:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Greetings all -

View Quote

1. As mentioned I've always treated it the same as an AR height, especially if you want to run your irons cowitnessing with your optic. I've found I can run a lower mount if I want and keep the cheek riser down, your mileage may vary though.

2. Correct. Last I heard the biggest hurdle is turn around times, but may have gotten better by now. There is the option of buying a shorter barrel and when you get set with the stamp or pin/weld you can try to sell the 16" barrel assy to recoup some cost.

3. I'm running Troy grips that were made specifically for the SCAR, but I got them some years ago and don't remember where. PMM would be the first place I'd look for some if I didn't want to mod anything. If you wanted to look elsewhere at the other major retailers just type in "SCAR" in the search box on their website and have at it.
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 2:27:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

just dont, over priced and the only reason people want them is because some were in the wild.
View Quote

Lol. This frickin’ guy.

Given the current market getting a barrel cut vs a factory 10” is your best option. I got lucky and picked up a factory 10” brand new for $800 several years ago and later sold my factory 16” for $600 when prices started to rise. So it cost me $200 for a factory barrel.

Ergo makes a SCAR specific grip. Everything else will be for an AR, so you’ll want to go through PMM to get pretty much every popular grip already modified for a SCAR.

For an Aimpoint micro. I think the ADM standard height mount is perfect on the SCAR.
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 6:31:40 AM EDT
[#6]
TAG, I'm at work.

Link Posted: 3/7/2021 8:25:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the education - I appreciate it!
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 5:14:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Just left the store. Hate to say this in this forum, but I was able to hold it, try all the controls, pretty much everything but fire it. For a few $$ short of $3500 with tax, I just can't do it. It feels light, hollow, flimsy even when empty. Very much reminiscent of a Smith and Wesson 15-22. I have no doubt that with an optic, a light, and a full magazine it would feel more substantial, but (for me) it's just not a $3500 rifle. I really appreciate the time you all took to reply.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 5:32:31 PM EDT
[#9]
F $3500

I got mine a while back for $2300.
Keep lookin. I put an ACOG on mine.

Link Posted: 3/8/2021 7:40:00 PM EDT
[#10]
look at robinson
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 8:34:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Just left the store. Hate to say this in this forum, but I was able to hold it, try all the controls, pretty much everything but fire it. For a few $$ short of $3500 with tax, I just can't do it. It feels light, hollow, flimsy even when empty. Very much reminiscent of a Smith and Wesson 15-22. I have no doubt that with an optic, a light, and a full magazine it would feel more substantial, but (for me) it's just not a $3500 rifle. I really appreciate the time you all took to reply.
View Quote

And you'd be right, its not a $3500 rifle. I paid $2800 for a 17, most i'd even consider paying for a 16 would be $2500-2600
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 9:44:09 PM EDT
[#12]
So if it was heavier you would of bought it?

Right now they are 3500 rifles

I have kac uppers I paid $1400ish for last year and I could almost double my money on them at the moment.

3500 is pricey for what they are I will admit but I wouldn't sell mine.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 10:46:45 PM EDT
[#13]
I would have never paid $3500.

Glad I bought mine when I did, early 2012.

Link Posted: 3/9/2021 12:07:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I have no doubt that with an optic, a light, and a full magazine it would feel more substantial, but (for me) it's just not a $3500 rifle.
View Quote

There's absolutely nothing wrong with feeling that way. Other than the current panic levels, the good thing about these days is there's quite a selection of different platforms to chose from. Hopefully you find what you're looking for soon, and for a good price.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 12:20:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Love my 17 would like to have a 16 but no way in Hell I would pay the blood money they want for 16.  I would get a CZ Bren2 over a 16 because of cost.  If a 16 was the right price and I mean deeply discounted over the current retail I would get one,  the replacement barrels alone are north of insane.
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 11:28:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Was it fde? I like mine but it was an itch I had to scratch. It was a grail gun for me but it was pricey. It was a lot less than 3500 but it is black.
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 9:30:56 AM EDT
[#17]
I wanted a scar for a decade and $2700 just seemed way out of reach at the time. I paid $3500 a couple months ago to finally get one.

I wouldn't do it unless it's something you really want but it's not hard to calculate the math on some AR build and get to 3k. Maybe I didn't slap it down all at once but this stuff adds up.

I'd probably of been gtg with PSA10 and a 6920 as far practical purposes though.
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 9:37:40 AM EDT
[#18]
I enjoy both of my SCARs, but the $2450 I paid for the 17 and $2175 I paid for the 16 (both new, both years ago on great sales) was the max I would spend on them.

Great rifles, of the two I'd keep the 17 over the 16 - but I wouldn't touch either for $3K+ that they command now.
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 9:45:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I wouldn't do it unless it's something you really want but it's not hard to calculate the math on some AR build and get to 3k. Maybe I didn't slap it down all at once but this stuff adds up.

View Quote

I agree, except I was looking at the Scar 16 as a starting point.  On top of the initial purchase, I know I'd want to change the trigger ($300), SBR it ($200 + barrel work), plus an optic ($750 - $1k), plus misc. small parts (grips, etc) and now I'm into it for $5k and it didn't seem worth it to me.  By contrast, I have a DD V7 SLW that started out at half the price of the SCAR, with everything on it is barely at the price of the SCAR, and feels like a tank despite not being heavy.  I just didn't get the warm & fuzzy feeling from the SCAR.  
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 12:55:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I agree, except I was looking at the Scar 16 as a starting point.  On top of the initial purchase, I know I'd want to change the trigger ($300), SBR it ($200 + barrel work), plus an optic ($750 - $1k), plus misc. small parts (grips, etc) and now I'm into it for $5k and it didn't seem worth it to me.  By contrast, I have a DD V7 SLW that started out at half the price of the SCAR, with everything on it is barely at the price of the SCAR, and feels like a tank despite not being heavy.  I just didn't get the warm & fuzzy feeling from the SCAR.  
View Quote

Yeah I was wanting a battle rifle and the 17 was a bucket list gun.

I would love to have something in 556 other than a normal DI AR but you really can't do better as far as practical purposes.

3500 is a lot of cheddar for what you get

Link Posted: 3/11/2021 11:59:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

I own a 16S and a 17S and your assessment is reasonable.

The only reason prices are what they are is because FN marks them up high before they even hit dealer shelves. There's really no reason it should cost more than a comparable gun like a CZ Bren 2 at $1700 or half the price. Ergos are also outdated - that tall but short handguard and reciprocating charging handle are an unpleasant surprise if you're used to kitting out your AR.

I only wanted to do something different, which is why I have what I have.
Link Posted: 3/12/2021 2:42:02 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't think you made a bad decision at all.  I'm glad I didn't read this thread before you posted this, because otherwise I'd have to encourage you not to buy one without saying bad things about the rifle.  It's not a bad rifle, but that's only true after a lot of upgrades.
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 12:45:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Paid $2100 for my 16 back in 2017. Best money I ever spent. Flawless performance.
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 7:29:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Miss my 16
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 5:28:34 AM EDT
[#25]
Optic height is your call. Lower 1/3 is perfect for me.

Cheaper to have barrel cut. Marvin Pitts or adco

Ergo grip makes a scar grip as well

Just wait for prices to come back to sanity. You used to be able to get used ones for 2k. That was a while ago though.
Link Posted: 8/8/2021 11:44:17 AM EDT
[#26]
I sold a Mini-14GB with a Samson stock for $2k and a SAM7UF for $2k and picked up a 16 for $3k, added a EXPS3 and G33, it’s probably my most fun 5.56 to shoot.
Link Posted: 8/8/2021 7:33:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Lol
Link Posted: 8/11/2021 1:22:21 PM EDT
[#28]
I'd say you made the right choice.  $3500 is a ridiculous price to pay for that gun, in my opinion.
Personally, I never saw the appeal of the 16 for the most part, even back when they were just considered expensive but at a "normal" price.

I paid under $2800 for my 17, which I like enough, but its not without its deficiencies.  Even for the 17, which I consider to be *the* SCAR, I wouldn't pay $3500 for it.
Link Posted: 8/11/2021 3:47:29 PM EDT
[#29]
I agree with the others, $3500 is just too much for a 16.  I own a 16, 17, and 20 and absolutely love my 16 and it probably gets shot more than any of the others.  I think it's a great rifle but it takes even more money to get there as others have pointed out.  I bought mine years ago for $2400 and I'd buy another one at that price point but not at what they're currently going for.  

Old photo as the 20s now has the coveted FA762SV... but yeah.  Shorty 16's are awesome.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top