Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/6/2020 2:25:27 PM EDT
The parts kits available are surplus burst rifles (mostly Malaysian), and I was curious if anyone got the beat up stocks to fit on a semi-auto AUG A3 M1.

I saw that the following parts work in semi autos on a reddit post:

Gas block assembly

Forward Grip

Flash hider

Charging handle assembly (Only works on Prebans and A1's - A2, A3,and M1 have a different style charging handle )

Bayonet lug

Bolt

Having a beat up stock would be nice for classes or training.   Anyone get other parts to work without any legal ramifications for converting your semi to something questionable?
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 2:28:15 PM EDT
[#1]
No. The stocks are for FA AUGs only.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 6:10:03 PM EDT
[#2]
The stock only works with the corresponding carrier. FA with FA or SA with SA. Interchanging guide rods would likely destroy the rivets to where you're completely out if luck with both stocks. Austria will not send guide rods to the US and the factory will not convert guide rods either. But even if you could make it work, the latch is all wrong. Modifying the latch is not advisable. You either make the receiver accept complete FA parts or you modify a FA stock to fit a semi receiver (resulting in the SA receiver being able to accept complete FA parts) - both methods will put you in prison.

Someone mentioned reusing the gasblock. That's theoretically possible but improbable due to the unique knowledge and tools needed to place the gas block in the correct position. Steyr at one time had a very large pile of barrels with screwed up gasblocks made by FN...
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 6:26:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Someone mentioned reusing the gasblock. That's theoretically possible but improbable due to the unique knowledge and tools needed to place the gas block in the correct position. Steyr at one time had a very large pile of barrels with screwed up gasblocks made by FN...
View Quote

Is it not simply pressed into place? Are there threads or something under there?

Edit: These guys say it's just a press fit, and MSAR heated their blocks during installation, allowing them to cool around the barrel. (No mention of Steyr's method.)
http://bullpupforum.com/index.php?topic=13564.0
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 6:53:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the info...  I was hoping there would be more to salvage out of the surplus auto parts kits!

Not worth it for semi auto users then!
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 7:38:43 PM EDT
[#5]
I've mentioned making a barrel using an old gas block.

If I ever got around to trying it, I'd try to build a jig using a good barrel.  My napkin sketch involves a steel tube, opposing set screws and an adjustable slip ring with a pin in it.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 8:01:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By KitBuilder:

Is it not simply pressed into place? Are there threads or something under there?

Edit: These guys say it's just a press fit, and MSAR heated their blocks during installation, allowing them to cool around the barrel. (No mention of Steyr's method.)
http://bullpupforum.com/index.php?topic=13564.0
View Quote

There's a guy here black and green big cartoon head avatar, he used to work for MSAR and put the gasblocks on the barrels.

It's my understanding that the gasblock is heated until it glows red and is then press fit in a jig onto the barrel.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 8:03:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Dustyattic:

I've mentioned making a barrel using an old gas block.

If I ever got around to trying it, I'd try to build a jig using a good barrel.  My napkin sketch involves a steel tube, opposing set screws and an adjustable slip ring with a pin in it.
View Quote

That'd work I bet. My old FFL has 10 new 9mm gasblocks for the AUG... I've thought of many ways to put the gas block on the barrel, then finish the barrel around the position of the gasblock. Cutting the lugs is the part I can't find anyone willing to do.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 8:31:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By maleante:

That'd work I bet. My old FFL has 10 new 9mm gasblocks for the AUG... I've thought of many ways to put the gas block on the barrel, then finish the barrel around the position of the gasblock. Cutting the lugs is the part I can't find anyone willing to do.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By maleante:

I've mentioned making a barrel using an old gas block.

If I ever got around to trying it, I'd try to build a jig using a good barrel.  My napkin sketch involves a steel tube, opposing set screws and an adjustable slip ring with a pin in it.

That'd work I bet. My old FFL has 10 new 9mm gasblocks for the AUG... I've thought of many ways to put the gas block on the barrel, then finish the barrel around the position of the gasblock. Cutting the lugs is the part I can't find anyone willing to do.

Interesting.  I imagine cutting the lugs first, and lining up the block on the jig last.  I think you're the opposite? Either could be done equally well with a tool to line everything up.  Maybe a moveable pin on the backside of the dividing head frame itself.  I think you'd need a shallow chamber so you can ream to set headspace after everything else is done.  I don't know, I'm no professional.

I think if it were possible to get away from the interference press fit, it would save a lot of misery.  Maybe if it were a nice snug slip fit with a couple of small holes drilled on the opposite side to spot weld with a TIG after everything is lined up perfectly.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 10:38:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Interesting.  I imagine cutting the lugs first, and lining up the block on the jig last.  I think you're the opposite? Either could be done equally well with a tool to line everything up.  Maybe a moveable pin on the backside of the dividing head frame itself.  I think you'd need a shallow chamber so you can ream to set headspace after everything else is done.  I don't know, I'm no professional.

I think if it were possible to get away from the interference press fit, it would save a lot of misery.  Maybe if it were a nice snug slip fit with a couple of small holes drilled on the opposite side to spot weld with a TIG after everything is lined up perfectly.
View Quote

I'm pretty sure the gasblock installation is a do or die one shot process so the tool would have to be perfect.

Looking at the the diameter of AUG barrels, I think you could get away with a taper pin job easily, at the expense of aesthetics and purism.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 1:40:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Yes I've gotten it to work. Much easier than most think. I'll post some photos in a bit
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 2:07:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'll post some photos in a bit
View Quote

Just be careful you don't post pics of a MG (such as a modified stock latch "conversion device") unless you're authorized to register new MGs of course.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 2:33:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for looking out, I'm a SOT 02 so all good
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 2:57:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Awesome sauce.
Looking forward to pics.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 3:56:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Attachment Attached File

Full auto stock latch:

Attachment Attached File

Proper latch for semi auto receiver:

Attachment Attached File

Semi auto receiver width:

Attachment Attached File

Stock nub to file down for use with long top rail:

All parts:

Attachment Attached File

Just a reminder, this a registered MG on a form 2 built by a licensed FFL 07 SOT 02 in accordance with state and federal laws. This is entirely for educational purposes.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 4:10:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Yes I've gotten it to work. Much easier than most think. I'll post some photos in a bit
View Quote

Cool pictures.

MG parts to semi receiver for a MG is quite easy, as you've shown us. However for anyone who is looking to use the kit to piece together a semi auto (i.e. MG parts to semi receiver for a semi auto gun) it isn't possible and the actual usable parts for a semi gun are extremely few.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 4:18:55 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm no lawyer but if you throw in a semi auto pack, who is going to know otherwise that your stock used to be part of a MG. I'm not advocating for breaking the law, but people fear the ATF too much. They're not watching us build things in our garages
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 4:38:19 PM EDT
[#17]
@AZ2A
Thanks for the pics.

Are you engraving your markings on the stock latch?

I've thought about going this route, but I really want to use an A3 stock, so I either need to shorten the anti-bounce rods and recoil springs inside the bolt carrier (which seems to be what most people do), shorten the guide rods inside the semi-auto A3 stock (which I think I could reach with a cut-off wheel on an extension), or transplant the guide rods from that stock to my A3 stock (which multiple AUG guys have recommended against, but I haven't found where anyone's actually tried it).

4th option: Abandon these foolish thoughts and source a new FA A3 stock from Steyr.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 4:57:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
@AZ2A
Thanks for the pics.

I've thought about going this route, but I really want to use an A3 stock, so I either need to shorten the anti-bounce rods and recoil springs inside the bolt carrier (which seems to be what most people do), shorten the guide rods inside the semi-auto A3 stock (which I think I could reach with a cut-off wheel on an extension), or transplant the guide rods from that stock to my A3 stock (which multiple AUG guys have recommended against, but I haven't found where anyone's actually tried it).

4th option: Abandon these foolish thoughts and source a new FA A3 stock from Steyr.
View Quote

4th option!

And I engrave all the information on the actual stock as well as the serial number on the latch just to play it safe regarding laws. Can't seem to find solid information on the legality of engraving the serial # in plastic.

ETA: I'll pay a finders fee if you find a second FA A3 stock
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 6:31:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I'm pretty sure the gasblock installation is a do or die one shot process so the tool would have to be perfect.

Looking at the the diameter of AUG barrels, I think you could get away with a taper pin job easily, at the expense of aesthetics and purism.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Interesting.  I imagine cutting the lugs first, and lining up the block on the jig last.  I think you're the opposite? Either could be done equally well with a tool to line everything up.  Maybe a moveable pin on the backside of the dividing head frame itself.  I think you'd need a shallow chamber so you can ream to set headspace after everything else is done.  I don't know, I'm no professional.

I think if it were possible to get away from the interference press fit, it would save a lot of misery.  Maybe if it were a nice snug slip fit with a couple of small holes drilled on the opposite side to spot weld with a TIG after everything is lined up perfectly.

Is the removal and reinstalling on the gas block what makes cutting 16” barrels down to Commando length not possible? I want one but can’t afford the GunSouth imports at the price of a new AUG.
I was hoping you could EDM the barrel gas port to the correct ID and rethread it.
I’ve been wanting to make my M3 into a SBR just to have a commando length to go with the 16”, 20” and LMG barrels.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 12:16:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Is the removal and reinstalling on the gas block what makes cutting 16” barrels down to Commando length not possible? I want one but can’t afford the GunSouth imports at the price of a new AUG.
I was hoping you could EDM the barrel gas port to the correct ID and rethread it.
I’ve been wanting to make my M3 into a SBR just to have a commando length to go with the 16”, 20” and LMG barrels.
View Quote

Hold tight. Steyr has new 14” barrels they’re working with. Supposedly the barrels only work with brass case ammo, they will not function properly with steel case or underpowered ammo.

No idea when or how much but a wild guess says that they’re getting close to selling them and the price won’t be the cost of a new AUG.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 12:20:57 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I'm no lawyer but if you throw in a semi auto pack, who is going to know otherwise that your stock used to be part of a MG. I'm not advocating for breaking the law, but people fear the ATF too much. They're not watching us build things in our garages
View Quote

One could make the simple argument that modification to the latch or receiver is consistent with manufacturing a MG even in the presence of a semi auto hammer pack... I’m not one to tempt fate by doing such a thing, but if someone else does then best of luck to them.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 12:52:17 AM EDT
[#22]
then how was the transferable trigger packs done?

A buddy has one but he rarely takes it out of his AUG from the 80s.

Link Posted: 5/28/2020 1:06:33 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
then how was the transferable trigger packs done?
View Quote
They utilized a conversion sear installed in a modified SA hammer pack.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/How-were-Steyr-AUG-FA-conversions-physically-done-/22-414987/
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 6:59:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
@AZ2A
Thanks for the pics.

View Quote

I’m about to mod and register a FA latch to use on a SA receiver and will engrave the latch.

I think milling a FA pack to fit a SA receiver, registering the plastic pack housing, and the cut down anti-bounce rods to fit SA stock is probably the easiest way to use an A3 stock.

FA A3 stocks seem like unobtainium.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top